.38 Airweight Shoulder Holster for Comfort

This is a discussion on .38 Airweight Shoulder Holster for Comfort within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What's the most comfortable shoulder holster for a .38 Airweight for wearing around the house? Does anyone recommend a more comfortable wear-around-the-house rig for an ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Ghost1958
  • 1 Post By OD*
  • 2 Post By rednichols
  • 1 Post By rednichols

Thread: .38 Airweight Shoulder Holster for Comfort

Distinguished Member

.38 Airweight Shoulder Holster for Comfort

What's the most comfortable shoulder holster for a .38 Airweight for wearing around the house?
    Does anyone recommend a more comfortable wear-around-the-house rig for an airweight?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

2. Remove Ads

Wife is armed all the time at home. And mostly in sweats or shorts depending on weather. I have a little nylon shoulder rig that is an odd one but very comfortable to wear but she simply uses her normal belt puts a holster on it and straps it around her waist and goes about her day here at the house. Easy on easy off if she needs too for a moment.

About the only reason i can see for a shoulder rig at home is to have something to sling over your shoulder fast at night and have both hands free for a long gun with the 38 as a back up. I have a set up like that for my 40 cal if I have the time to sling the shoulder rig on and grab the SKS during the night. It faster than buckling on belt over my sweats.
    Pistology likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

OD*
    A very light weight upside down shoulder holster, K.L. Null MODEL SKR City Slicker
    Pistology likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

In your scenario, the recommendations so far may be helpful. The Null will be problematic for holstering quickly even two handed, much less one handed. And the elastic closed holsters, which originated in the 60s, had to be abandoned by all their makers because retention in situations like hurdling a fence, was inadequate. If it's a shoulder rig you want, an unlined horizontal rig (every company makes 'em). Today's easy-on/ easy-off holster is the paddle holster. Admittedly the shoulder rig can be worn even nude, while the paddle requires a waistband more substantial than, say, sweats.

...hadda laugh at the thought of me EITHER wearing a shoulder holster nude OR hurdling a fence...

The DeSantis CEO is darn comfortable. Not up to heavy exertion, but for a low stress rig it's my choice.

OD's signature line reminds me that old Jeff published a book in 1961 (mine still has its 1965 receipt in it) and he included a chapter on holsters.

In it Jeff said (pp 155):

"There is another very practical solution to this matter [retention with speed], besides spring tension, but it's not especially neat. This is to tie your gun in with a light cotton string, just strong enough to keep it in and no stronger. Then if you need your gun in a hurry, just grab it and break the string - it won't slow you down a bit."

This from the father of modern handgunning?

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    OD's signature line reminds me that old Jeff published a book in 1961 (mine still has its 1965 receipt in it) and he included a chapter on holsters.

In it Jeff said (pp 155):

"There is another very practical solution to this matter [retention with speed], besides spring tension, but it's not especially neat. This is to tie your gun in with a light cotton string, just strong enough to keep it in and no stronger. Then if you need your gun in a hurry, just grab it and break the string - it won't slow you down a bit."

This from the father of modern handgunning?
    You gotta admit, it was better than pure Mexican.

~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...hadda laugh at the thought of me EITHER wearing a shoulder holster nude OR hurdling a fence...
    I agree! But both are true stories, pic of at least the pretty girl in the former to appear on High Noon's "about me" page :-)

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    You gotta admit, it was better than pure Mexican.
    And yet there turned out to be far better ways than both methods in the 50 years that followed Jeff's book :-)

OD*

~ Tiger McKee

Links