Pager Pal ?

This is a discussion on Pager Pal ? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; what does everybody think about these?would they be more comfortable to wear than a smart carry?It would be for a kimber ultra carry. thanks sj...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pager Pal ?

Pager Pal ?

what does everybody think about these?would they be more comfortable to wear than a smart carry?It would be for a kimber ultra carry. thanks sj

2. Remove Ads

I've actually got one.
    But didn't use it much because it buldges a bit when you sit down. @ least for me it did.

I think if I needed deep concealment I'd use it but haven't really had a need for that yet.

I never could really get the hang of the "draw" though, seems slow and could be clumsy at times I would imagine; esp. when the SHTF.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i don't own a pager pal, and I haven't heard many people that like them. concept is good, but....is usually the concensus.
    I do own a smart carry and really like it. BUT not with my kimber ultra carry II... for me, I have a bit of a gut and the beaver tail pokes me. I do carry it at the 3pm position with my shirt tucked in and it conceals nicely. if you don't have a gut, then it would probably work great the normal way for you...for me I carry my 642 in it as it is smooth and doesn't hurt my tummy...lol
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Administrator
    I cant imagine they are very comfortable with something larger than a keltec or seecamp sized gun. Besides, who carries a pager anymore?

Snowdoctor, is the 3pm position any more comfortable than the 3am?

You can actually substitute a cell phone holder for the fake pager they give you.
    Granted you have to find a cell phone holder w/ a j-clip on it so that it will hold when you pull the holster out to draw the weapon.

Administrator
    Oh OK. I've never messed with one, but the pictures I've seen are of the 1987 brick pager model. It would be much more believable if it were a cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I cant imagine they are very comfortable with something larger than a keltec or seecamp sized gun. Besides, who carries a pager anymore?:
    I work in the medical field and 95% of all Hospital doctors are still carrying pagers.

I agree the pagerpal concept seems promising but I have heard too many negative reviews to buy one. I also do not like the smart carry or thunderwear or any other method that has a hunk of steel sitting on top of the family jewels. I can always carry my seecamp in my pocket. May not be the optimal choice of firearm but it is always willing to travel!

I have met the owner of pager pal quite a few times. He really believes in his product. They call it cell pal now or something like that. He makes a quality product but some people don't like the feel. It places the firearm against the thigh which can be very distracting and uncomfortably noticeable. Some people might not be bothered by this. It truly will hide a gun though.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

I've got one

And here are my impressions:

First - You can go to "pagerpal.com" for a video. (don't know how to post a link yet).

Advantages-
    1. Faster draw time than thunderwear types.
    2. Very good deep concealment (I carry a .45 Commander)
    3. Handy to put on or remove (no messing with belt loops, etc.)

Disavantages-
    1. Takes practice to learn how to access the weapon

Overall -
    I like the idea of just stuffing the whole rig down your pants with no fuss or bother.
    But one must learn the unusual draw by practice. This means pulling in your gut, hooking right hand thumb over belt and pulling it out a little, lifting the fake pager with left hand so that weapon is presented to the right hand.

I prefer carrying the .45 in a OWB holster, but this means a cover garment. So the pagerpal is a nice summer method. Or for when you get to where you are going and you need to remove your jacket.

.... Skye....

I have a pager pal and a Smart Carry. Pager Pal is in "THE DRAWER" while SmartCarry sees action every so often. As others have said, I could never get it comfortable and though the draw probably isn't any more slow than the Smart Carry, it's a bit more cumbersome ... for me at least. Good luck.

Tony

If you want to know what a "Pager Pal" feels like take a coffee cup's saucer and stick it down your pants just below your belt and to one side or the other of the buckle. Wear it this way all day, driving, sitting, standing etc. ALL DAY... Then decide whether this is for you.

I've used a Pager Pal with Kel-Tec P11 briefly. I used to work with the man who designed it and later sold the rights to the dude in Texas. I currently have a SmartCarry rig and between you, me, and the wall the Thunderwear/SmartCarry wins hands down unless your job keeps you on your feet all day in which case SmartCarry is still more comfortable but YMMV.

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    what does everybody think about these?would they be more comfortable to wear than a smart carry?It would be for a kimber ultra carry. thanks sj
    sjones, if you want to go that way, I have one out in the garage that I will send you for free. I bought it at a gun show, tried it one time here at the house and decided it was not for me. I'm short and also have a 'short' waistline. With the PagerPal on, there wasn't enough room for everything that needed to be in the same place !

Can't remember what model it was or what gun I had at the time, pretty sure it is the large model which will fit the Kimber Ultra Carry. I have the Kimber Tactical Ultra, I'll get the PagerPal holster out this afternoon and try the Kimber in it. That holster can be 'wet molded' pretty easy, so it should work.

I'll get back to you this evening or tomorrow.
    Last edited by DaveT; November 30th, 2006 at 02:33 PM.

I own one and they come in very handy when you don't want your gun to be seen, like in a social situation. If you're looking to make a fast draw using a Pager Pal holster, you're going to need a LOT of practice since the weapon will be under your clothes and you'll have to reach inside your pants to get your gun ( let's not even go there with the "this is my weapon, this is my gun" jokes).

How comfortable it is depends on the size of the gun and your body build. Standing isn't a real problem, but sitting with a PP takes a bit of practice, especially if you carry a full size 1911. Also, if you're of the "full figured" build, it can be a little uncomfortable unless you find just the right sweet spot. Also, for you cowboys and pistol packin' mama's out there, for obvious reasons loose fitting pants are a much better and confortable choice than tight fitting jeans if you want to use a Pager Pal holster.

For anyone who needs a deep cover holster and uses a weapon other than a small frame revolver or one of the Kel-Tec sized small pistols, they are a good option.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Dave T thanks,but I think I will pass on your kind offer.I have a kangaroo holster and I will probably keep using it for really deep concealment.Its a little tight,but its the best I've found so far and its pretty fast for me to get to.This is just a stop gap until I get my dakota holster in from K-MAN anyway.thanks guys.sj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links