Hill People Runner's Kit Bag

This is a discussion on Hill People Runner's Kit Bag within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone here used a Hill People Runners Kit bag? I've seen a couple reviews that seemed positive but I don't know anyone that has ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Hill People Runner's Kit Bag

Distinguished Member Array Phaedrus's Avatar

Hill People Runner's Kit Bag

Has anyone here used a Hill People Runners Kit bag? I've seen a couple reviews that seemed positive but I don't know anyone that has one. It looks like it would be perfect for hiking, camping and taking on my nightly walks. It appears that with the bungee cinched down it would even work for running...although I'm running there's probably a bear behind me!

The smaller Snubbie version looks good too. Probably couldn't get an HK USP or HK P30S in there but it would be slick for my Beretta Nano.

I'd appreciate any feedback you can give me if you've used this pack before.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

2. Remove Ads

Looks like a great idea for 'runners' or 'bikers'...but for walking, I'd stick with a good holster.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Every night, weather permitting, I walk the same 2.7 mile route that I've walked for the last ten years. I have been carrying IWB, OWB and in the dread lumbar pack; all have their virtues and drawbacks. When it's hot I hate to wear anything that has belt loops, like jeans or denim shorts. Spandex biker shorts and an Under Armor top are my go-to clothes for the hottest parts of the year, but in that I'm stuck with the fanny pack. It seems to me that the HP Runners pack would be a lot cooler and bounce around a lot less. The fanny pack isn't all that comfy on the walk. I walk at a very fast clip since the point is exercise. So the pack wants to bang me in the, um, "junk" if I wear it in front. Worn on the side it's not idea for comfort and the weight all on one side is suboptimal. Let me note here that I always walk late in the evening after work (and I get off after 10:00 every night). So it's dark out and my route doesn't pass by many people. So if my rig looks a little unusual it isn't likely to garner much attention.

I just measured my HK P30S and it appears it would fit just fine in the Snubbie version. That presents a dilemma; the Snubbie would be the most compact possible pouch but wouldn't have room for my HK USP45 Tactical. No, I wouldn't wear that out and about on my walk but it would be nice to have while camping. The regular full sized Runners would accommodate any sidearm I have but would be a little bigger than necessary for daily carry.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

What the heck, just ordered the Snubby in Foliage. I could agonize over which one to try first but the Snubby looks good for now. If I like it I'll probably get one of the larger ones for camping. But I think my HK P30S should fit just fine in the small kit bag. I'll post some impressions when I get it (the foliage is back-ordered but is supposed to ship on the 21st, so only a few days wait).

I'm thinking you are going to have trouble fitting the HK P30 in the Snubby. The grip is too long I believe, because a G19 barely fits in it. The P30's grip is more like the dimension of a G17, and they claim the G17 will not fit the Snubby.

HPG makes good gear and I know several people who use the larger kit bags for hiking, running and hunting.

Picture of G19 with TLR-3 from their forum: Snubby Dimensions? - HPG - Hill People Gear

016.JPG
    Phaedrus likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

You may be right, but I measured my P30S in every dimension. It looks like it should fit. But if it doesn't I'll use it for my Nano.

Tmoore912, you may be right. Scott Hill of HPG just answered my post by saying that he hasn't tried it but thinks it won't fit. I might have to change my order and get the larger regular version. Not a big deal, just was hoping to go smaller. Thanks for the heads up!

That's something i may look into.

That seems like it would be awful hot in warmer weather. I have had a Maxpedition shoulder bag with a built in hidden holster for a couple of years now. I like the Maxpedition for hiking, hunting, and fishing in remote areas. I don't wear it around town but I suppose you could. It has plenty of room for extra magazines, bottle of water, first aid kit, etc. BTW, it will hold anything from a J- frame to my Glock 35.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I'm not a fan of off-body carry for guns.

My Runners Kit Bag showed up today. I ended up getting the regular size version instead of the snubbie- a guy over at their forum that owns a P30 said it goes in but it's super tight and the zipper hangs up on the rear sight. I think I made the right call since my HK USP45 Tactical will fit in this one! Overall I really like it. The construction is superb, just very well made. I ordered a velcro holster from ITS Tactical but I don't think it will be necessary at all. The only thing is that I have to work out the technique for drawing from it without getting killed first! I think it will be reasonably fast but I need to figure out the best way to do it.

I'll try to get a picture of two to post later on. Gotta try it out first!

Well, I got my HPG Runners Kit Bag today. Initially I was going to get the Snubbie, but thanks to some input from a fellow HK P30 owner over at HPG Forum I opted for the larger version.

Upon unboxing I was very impressed with the quality of the product. The material is great and the construction is top notch; no loose threads or badly stitched seams. This truly looks and feels expensive, moreso than I would have expected at the (relatively) low price. The best comparison I can make is to Maxpedition. This bag is immaculate! I was also really impressed with the ingenuity of the design. It was obviously a well thought out design. Everything works just right.

Initially I had a little trouble figuring out how to draw from it. Grabbing the front pocket zippers was a bit problematic as it only really worked if the gun compartment was left unzipped for a good four inches. I'm gonna get killed before I can get my gun out,I thought. However, leaving about an inch unzipped and hooking my fingers inside turned out to work very well. In fact, I was surprised to find that I can actually draw from the RKB faster than I can draw from IWB if I have it tucked under a shirt. Nice!

I had also worried, like many other posters, about carrying a sidearm loaded with no "holster" to protect the trigger. In fact I purchased an adjustable velcro holster from ITS Tactical to use inside. Since they arrived at the same time I did fiddle around with the holster and found it to work okay. But I found that the rig actually does indeed work better without a holster; in fact, the holster is just baggage. There really isn't any way for the safety or trigger to be affected inside the bag due to the construction and design used. I'm sure the Hills aren't surprised! Perhaps if I was carrying my Beretta Nano (a gun with no safety) I might try the holster again but with my cocked-and-locked HKs I had no problems at all.

At first I was a little worried when I noticed there were no instructions. Hey, don't get me wrong- I don't usually read instructions anyway! But I wasn't sure how to go about adjusting the harness. I quickly realized though that it was very intuitive, ingenious even. I got a very good fit within about five minutes. The best position for me turned out to be very high on my chest, high enough that the pistol didn't press on my solar plexus.

I tested it by heading out on the 3 mile route that I walk every night. During the first mile I did a bit of experimenting to figure out how tight to set the bungee cord. Seems like I changed it half a dozen times. If I was jogging it I'd probably cinch it down a little tighter but for a brisk walk it stayed put with the cord pretty loose. At any rate, the RKB was very, very comfortable! It got a little bit warm right under the gun but no more so than under the gun & gunbelt, it just moved the hot spot. It was much more comfortable to have the gun on my chest than riding on my hip, especially as I jogged to cross the intersections.

I really love this pack! If I was to tweak anything, I'd say for my own preference it could have a tiny bit more padding on the back, and maybe channels to stand it off the body a bit (like the back of a Maxpedition Kodiak). It wasn't super hot but after I got home I noticed a bit of sweat just beginning to show on the inside. I wouldn't mind some type of barrier to keep moisture off the gun. Sure, it would make me sweat more but I'm more concerned about the gun. And the front pouch just barely had enough room for my wallet, keys, gun and Surefire E1B...a tiny smidgen more space would be nice, but I understand that no matter what size you make it someone would want a little more room.

But those are very minor quibbles! Again, I love the rig! So much so that I think I'll pick up a Recon down the road and probably a full sized Kit Bag for camping and hiking. Ultimately, the Recon with the bungee cord system might be even better than the RKB for me simply because I could MOLLE my flashlight to the front.

Thanks to HPG for an awesome bag! I can't wait to try it out on my next camping trip out to Palisades Park.

Here's a picture of the RKB from the website:

rgrkb_1.jpg
    echo6tango likes this.

Nice! I had a feeling you were going to like it. HPG makes good kit.

I would like to see a picture of it with the P30 and your other gear to see how much room is used.
    Phaedrus likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Senior Moderator
    Looks like a good bag
    Phaedrus likes this.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

I have one for hiking, I've used it to carry Glocks, Sigs, and 1911s, I recommend getting some type of simple Velcro holster to keep the gun in place, excellent product.
    Phaedrus likes this.
    United States Air Force Security Forces Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran, now a college student.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links