ankle holster musings

This is a discussion on ankle holster musings within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; [warning: the following message contains piteous whining and complaint] I decided I wanted an ankle holster to carry one of my pocket pistols. I had ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: ankle holster musings

ankle holster musings

[warning: the following message contains piteous whining and complaint]

I decided I wanted an ankle holster to carry one of my pocket pistols. I had a fair idea of what I wanted... but despite having been a popular location for a back-up or hide-out gun for ages, there doesn't seem to be a lot of selection for ankle holsters, and most of them seem to be... ah... not well thought out.

A majority of what's available seems to be thickly padded, multilayer nylon, with fat straps covered in Velcro. Most of the holsters I've looked at are bulkier than the guns I might want to carry in the first place. There are only a few molded plastic holsters, and most of them seem to be for full-size 1911s and Glocks. Not precisely what I want to carry there. I found a few molded plastic holsters, but, of course, most of them either don't fit any of my collection of old pocket pistols, or they have other features I don't like.

First off, I don't need or want a "universal fit" Velcro holster. What I'd like to have would be like what my motorcycle crash helmet has - a "seat belt" quick connector and some D-rings for adjustment. There are probably many other ways to do it. I don't view Velcro as a long-term solution; besides being bulky, it wears out.

For strap and holster material, nylon is okay, washable canvas is okay, but leather isn't highly desirable; I do a lot of work outside, and when it's over 100F, I sweat a lot. Taking proper care of leather is an additional chore I don't really want to take on. I don't understand the reasoning for multilayer padded nylon. Molded plastic would be just fine, assuming I could find something that fits. Washable is important; besides sweat, the holster will see mud, dirt, and grass clippings.

I also noted that while both right and left hand holsters exist, by the time I reach far enough to grasp the gun, I have to twist my wrist quite a bit to grasp the grip. For me, anyway, it seems more natural for the butt to point forward instead of back. This is actually a good thing; since I'm left-handed, this means I have a huge selection of "right-handed" holsters to choose from. If I find any I like.

I think what I might wind up doing is picking up one of the "pocket holsters" and make my own straps. Helmet buckles are available, and D-rings, and nylon or canvas strap. I also found that Kydex "holster kits" are available, with hardware and sheets of formable plastic.

[gratuitous whingeing ends]

2. Remove Ads

I'm also looking for an ankle holster for a Kimber Solo. So far, my leading candidate is the Remora It doesn't match-up to your criteria very well, but it appears to be relatively small and lightweight and the velcro straps are large enough that i think they would be functional (Calf straps are also available if desired.) I've never drawn from an ankle holster, but I do like your butt-forward idea - it seems more natural.

Good luck!
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

NRA Life Member

I've been using the Galco ankle glove from the mid 90's.
    StormRhydr and ctr like this.
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

If it's gotta be exactly like you state, this won't help much. But if you're open to suggestion, I've got one. I bought a DeSantic Apache ankle holster with the extra strap. The unit is all elastic with the velcro you seem to detest. But it's about 6-7" top-to-bottom for good fit and comfort. Lined in lamb's wool for same and 7" of velcro attaching it makes it pretty secure. The added strap above gives me that extra measure of security.

The gun is secured in an elasticized pouch with strap (if you want -- I don't use it) and it can be washed. I forget I'm wearing it after a while. Yes, it is that comfortable. After I take it off, I just hang it for a while to let it air out and put it away. I like it a lot! I carry a SS .357 revolver in it and it works beautifully. Something to think about ....
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

+ 1 for the Galco ankle glove. I think they did it up right.

I have one for my model 36, and its great.
    southernwi and ctr like this.

I bought an Uncle Mike's ankle holster. Carries a Walther P22 and is barely noticeable.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Mine is a piece of thicker elastic with Velcro and an outer leather patch roughly contoured to the shape of my little P-3AT. I don't even know it's there.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Interested in the responses here. I too am considering an ankle carry option, and commonly find myself in situations where it would be exposed to sweat, dirt, water.

Administrator
    Historically ALESSI has always made the best, most comfortable and most workable ankle holster. Just FYI.

There IS one Boo-Boo in this Video. You SHOULD put the ankle holster on first (MINUS the handgun) - and THEN insert the firearm.

See...you learned something today.

357and40 and Sister like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member
    Must be that those holsters are for men or something. They look terrible with panty hose and a dress!
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Unless you are a LEO, relying on ankle carry seems to me to be a very bad idea. You have to cross draw, you sweep your own leg during draw, I can just see someone shooting themselves. A LEO is a different story since they go -into- dangerous situations and need a backup. I'd suggest you take a long, hard look at need, necessity, access, deployment and how you are able (or not) to practice getting to your firearm. If you can't deploy in under 2-3 seconds, and you haven't practiced at least as often as you do for your regular carry, IMO, it is a needlessly dangerous practice.
    Hopyard likes this.

VIP Member
    +2 on Galco. Great holster. Secure, comfortable for all day wear. High quality. Made to last.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Must be that those holsters are for men or something. They look terrible with panty hose and a dress!
    Dontcha own no pantses? Wimmen can wear pantses, too! Like Lady Gaga and stuff . Then you could wear an ankle holster. Equal opportunity and all that PC stuff...
    southernwi likes this.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Unless you are a LEO, relying on ankle carry seems to me to be a very bad idea.
    Sitting a lot (driving, especially) makes it a handy thing to have. It keeps the weapon ON you, accessible (maybe not so much for lefties ), it's comfortable and it's hidden and with you when you get out. Not so bad. For constant carry, it has to be certain situations or you make a good point, IMO.
    Hopyard and Aceoky like this.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robhic View Post
    Dontcha own no pantses? Wimmen can wear pantses, too! Like Lady Gaga and stuff . Then you could wear an ankle holster. Equal opportunity and all that PC stuff...

The few times I've seen the woman called lady gaga.......do you think she is the type to wear britches? I think she gets dressed in outer space.

Yeah I got britches to wear but tried the ankle holster at the store and it hurt! I got little chicken ankles, kinda boney ~ holsters don't fit where their ain't much fat on ya if you know what I mean.
    Aceoky likes this.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links