Holster with magazine pouch?

This is a discussion on Holster with magazine pouch? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Carrying a SA XD-s 45 which has a single stack (5 rounds) clip. I feel as though I need to carry another clip but don't ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Holster with magazine pouch?

Carrying a SA XD-s 45 which has a single stack (5 rounds) clip.

I feel as though I need to carry another clip but don't like using a separate pouch on my belt or putting it in my pocket.

Is there a quality holster, IWB or OWB, that has an included pouch for a magazine?

Thanks, and hello

Carl

There are custom makers that will accommodate that style however it is not generally considered a good means of carrying a spare mag. Consider this. In a defensive situation where you needed a reload you would likely need it in a hurry. In a hurry generally means that the spare mag is accessible to your weak hand. Kind of difficult when your spare mag is on your strong side.
    Taurahe and sensei2 like this.

To add to Denster's advice, it just makes one huge holster. Which can cause issues with getting enough support, or increasing movement.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

MAGAZINE..... or at least MAG.... Clips are what you hold papers together with.

Welcome to the site.

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

3 Speed Holster Might not be for everyone. I carry a Ruger SR40C & extended magazine in Appendix in it
    20130607_121837a.jpgDSCN4718c.jpgDSCN4719c.jpg

Distinguished Member
    You can get the INCOG by G-Code with an optional magazine holder.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Also check out Tactipac
    They are a bit pricey and there is a wait time, but their product looks great.

VIP Member
    Another option is to put a spare magazine in an old smart phone case and wear it weak side. Works great for single stack mags like the ones used by the XDs.
    Snub44 likes this.

All of us will know what you are talking about, when you say "clip". However, what you mean are "Mags", or "Magazines".

Yeah. You do need more rounds on you than one "Mag" in your weapon/pistol/gun. I wouldnt want that mag in my pocket either. I dont really like any mags in my pockets.

One wants to be able to draw their mag, knowing which direction the bullets are facing, each time. You want to get to the point where you can do this, while keeping your eyes on the target/threat.

Ie pull a new mag, watching threat, insert, rack the slide, get back into action.

I like OWB, but thats just me, and how I trained. I like Galco leather mag pouches (they look like a million bucks, and really hold up well), or bladetech mag pouches. More tactical looking, but each function the same.
    Sky Pilot likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zralou View Post
    MAGAZINE..... or at least MAG.... Clips are what you hold papers together with.

Welcome to the site.

Sara Lou
    It is fine to help newbies with terminology, but StormRhydr did it more diplomatically. There are hair clips, too. And lest we all forget, there are half moon and full moon clips that hold bullets for wheel guns.............

And, when it comes to terminology, some of the guys we shoot with will call magazines "clips" forever even though they know better. Might be a way of proving they are "old" military guys or something.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

A spare magazine is generally considered properly carried on the weak-hand side. Remember, your weapon is gonna be in your strong hand. A while ago, I got a Remora holster with attached mag pouch. I thought (at the time) it was a good idea.

WRONG!

It was a bit tough to reach being on my strong side and somewhat bulky being larger than a "normal" holster. Didn't take long before I decided to send it back in exchange for a regular Remora holster without mag holder and I haven't regretted it.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

And putting a "smiling Smiley" after the comment with a 'welcome to the site', also says "tongue in cheek".

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

cartridge clip noun a metal frame or container holding cartridges for a magazine rifle or automatic pistol. Also called ammunition clip.

I guess we're all correct. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

Thanks for the info.

I'm not planning on a shootout at the OK Corral or competing in police pistol matches, so think a small pouch/leather holder for a 5-cartridge single stack "clip" on the holster would work just fine on the strong side.

I'll just make one.
    Taurahe likes this.

I pocket carry my XDS-45 in a Galco Pocket Protector holster in my right front jeans pocket and I carry a spare magazine in the small pocket above it.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
    cartridge clip noun a metal frame or container holding cartridges for a magazine rifle or automatic pistol. Also called ammunition clip.

I guess we're all correct. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

Thanks for the info.

I'm not planning on a shootout at the OK Corral or competing in police pistol matches, so think a small pouch/leather holder for a 5-cartridge single stack "clip" on the holster would work just fine on the strong side.

I'll just make one.
    I have never thought a mag carried on the holster would work well for, so I have never tried it. I like your idea of making your own. many great ideas have come from a need to be filled. I for one would be very interested in seeing what you come up with, and hearing how it works out for you. Welcome to the cafe!!
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links