Thoughts...

This is a discussion on Thoughts... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been dabbling with the idea lately of making an OWB kydex holster. My only thing with an OWB holster is it standing out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Thoughts...

Question Thoughts...

I have been dabbling with the idea lately of making an OWB kydex holster. My only thing with an OWB holster is it standing out should the shirt raise up enough to expose the holster. To counteract this I have been toying around the idea of making 2 holsters for OWB carry, first being a light tan kydex to match my khaki shorts/ pants and the other is in a denim. The khaki colored kydex I know I can get, the denim though I can't find anyone who sells it, plus matching the denim color of my pants would be a bit of a challenge.

So here is my thought, and please feel free to poke holes in it anywhere you see fit, we all have a pair or two of jeans that have torn or gotten to big/ small over the years, mist buy the same color once you find a brand you like. My idea is to take my press and form my kydex holster, then take some old denim material and either find some good glue or resin, apply it to the fabric, out it back in the press and form fit it again ( just doing it to the outside/ exposed side of the holster. Once it's been form fitted and hardened, trim and tuck whatever is hanging over and continue with the normal process of getting the eyelets attached and so on.

Again this is just a thought at this point, but am interested in hearing what you guys have to say, good or bad.

2. Remove Ads

I'm not an OWB kind of guy, no matter what. But ...... if I WAS, that sounds like a pretty good idea to facilitate concealment. Good luck with that. You just might be on to something!
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

I am wondering if you can glue the denim to the kydex before you form. I think the denim will have enough give.
    Good luck. Keep us posted on how you do it.
    NRA Life Member

No offense but it seems more like a solution looking for a problem.....
    jcm likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Senior Moderator
    You're talking about laminating a denim to the Kydex.

I think its doable. A good rubber cement ought to do it. Coat the Kydex with the cement, give it a few minutes, put the Denim on it and work out any wrinkles.

Sounds like it ought to fly.

Try it and then post pics. And if it doesn't work for some reason, post it anyway. That'll keep someone from failing in the future when they try something that didn't work.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Only hiccup I can foresee, denim tends to 'fray' once cut, and eventually is going to look like sh** once attached to the holster for a while. But good idea tho'.

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

I think you're over-thinking it (but I'm an engineer and I can relate).

Here in AZ, in 10 years of occasional open carry I've only had one occasion I'm aware of when some actually noticed a gun on my hip. Even on Fifth Ave in Scottsdale last week I saw a guy walking down the sidewalk with a holstered Glock and no one gave him a sideways glance (and downtown/Old Town Scottsdale is a place I've steadfastly avoided for OC, as we don't want to frighten the tourists).

But I understand your desire to conceal reasonably well. You didn't state what your gun is, but if it's smaller than a full-size gun I think you should look into have the gun ride higher on your belt, so there is less holster showing beneath your cover garment. Beyond that, tan and black colors should cover about 95% of the minimized-contrast situations.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Think about all the black accessories worn on belts these days... Someone sees the bottom of a black holster and they probably think mobile phone.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I think you're over-thinking it (but I'm an engineer and I can relate).

Here in AZ, in 10 years of occasional open carry I've only had one occasion I'm aware of when some actually noticed a gun on my hip. Even on Fifth Ave in Scottsdale last week I saw a guy walking down the sidewalk with a holstered Glock and no one gave him a sideways glance (and downtown/Old Town Scottsdale is a place I've steadfastly avoided for OC, as we don't want to frighten the tourists).

But I understand your desire to conceal reasonably well. You didn't state what your gun is, but if it's smaller than a full-size gun I think you should look into have the gun ride higher on your belt, so there is less holster showing beneath your cover garment. Beyond that, tan and black colors should cover about 95% of the minimized-contrast situations.
    Engineer (well desinger) here as well. I know walking around OC'ing here isn't really a crazy thought, but I still don't like others knowing I carry. This afternoon in fact, we were walking through the fry's doing our weekly grocery shopping (Cooper & Warner), finish up and go to checkout and the guy in front of us reaches back to grab his wallet and staring right back at you is a xds in a black holster ( guy was in light dress pants, when he grabbed his wallet it must have hooked his shirt and lifted it over the gun). To me, size, placement, color.... they just stand out. I'm also not a fan of the holsters that sit up high, they just are not comfortable to me and put the firearm in an awkward place for drawing.

Another thought was to make a SOB type holster so it has a fairly extreme cant to it to raise the visible portion of the holster up without sacrificing the ride height.

Again I'm just toying with some ideas at this point, I have the materials to make it and I've been wanting to do another holster for my SR40c, Bersa 380 and P22.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

read through that earlier, similar idea except I don't think a printed kydex would match as well as actual fabric would.

what about iron on patches? heat it with the kydex (scuff the kydex) and then press into shape together. they tend to fray less because the fabric is saturated with hot glue.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

my thought is to apply good glue or epoxy to the kydex directly and then lay the piece of denim over the top, cut it larger than the holster and fold whatever is unused into the inside of the holster and then do a liner in the inside to cover the excess. biggest worry is the summer heat and having it melt off. might have to find a clear drying sealer our something to put on the denim on the outside to "harden" the fabric to protect it.

any sealer/hardener you put on the face of the fabric or glue that seeps through will change it`s appearance.

3M spray glue will work nicely, i see where your going with this and it sounds like a pretty good idea. i could see other applications to include a more "decorative" side, for those inclined to show off the hot new 1911 in a holster that looks like a batman comic book strip.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links