How to use the Smart Carry

This is a discussion on How to use the Smart Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a new CCW permit holder. At work I wear a dress shirt and slacks, but no jacket. I bought a SmartCarry to use at ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By 10thmtn

Thread: How to use the Smart Carry

How to use the Smart Carry

I'm a new CCW permit holder. At work I wear a dress shirt and slacks, but no jacket. I bought a SmartCarry to use at work for my XDm 9mm compact.

My initial impression is that it's good for concealment and ok for comfort, but the draw is very slow. Does anyone here have advice for how to speed it up?

Obviously I'll do a lot of dry runs with an unloaded gun.
    But should I wear pants a size bigger so I have more room up front? Pants with some stretch to them?
    Wear the belt a little loose?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I think a slower draw may be just the tradeoff for the concealment. That being said, I wear normal size slacks (pleated dockers) and I do not have a problem with a commander size 1911. I wear it low and to the left, the bottom of the butt of the gun is just left of the zipper.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarf View Post
    I'm a new CCW permit holder. At work I wear a dress shirt and slacks, but no jacket. I bought a SmartCarry to use at work for my XDm 9mm compact.

My initial impression is that it's good for concealment and ok for comfort, but the draw is very slow. Does anyone here have advice for how to speed it up?

Obviously I'll do a lot of dry runs with an unloaded gun.
    But should I wear pants a size bigger so I have more room up front? Pants with some stretch to them?
    Wear the belt a little loose?

Thanks in advance.
    Practice practice practice.

That said, any device/holster which requires two handed draw will be inherently slower than one which requires only one hand.. There's nothing much you can do about that... except work in a job that allows you to wear un-tucked shirts.

Even with an IWB tuckable or hybrid holster, a tucked shirt always causes more time to be consumed in the draw, if the weapon is concealed under the shirt.

If you wore a jacket, you could try a shoulder rig... but very very few people wear jackets to work any more. And then, you will really look the fool if yo have your jacket on, even when the AC is broke...

The good thing is, you can carry at work! Many CAN'T.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I use a Smart Carry and wear dress pants that have the little elastic tabs on the side. That gives the pants some stretch. Then, I wear my belt one notch loose to give me room.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    Just no demonstrations, please.

VIP Member
    Anything that I cannot draw from in a second or under, one-handed doesn't get considered, nor does anything that puts the muzzle north of 3:00.
    RTF_Squared likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Mike, I understand you, but at least this way it gets carried. Still faster than having to run to the car.

WHEC, I'll post crotch shots as soon as I get home.
    Last edited by Schwarf; August 20th, 2013 at 09:44 PM.

I also use the Smart Carry. Seems to be the best of my draw full of other holsters. I am a bit "round about the middle" so wear pants an extra size on waist, and also wear Perry suspenders. This allows the belt to be looser than normal. Works OK for me.

I don't (and never have) used mine with dress clothes. I use it with a T shirt, untucked and pants without a belt. A friend said he saw people who could whip out their gun pretty fast from their Smart Carry. He didn't know how they did it -- probably a lot of practice -- but said it could be done. Good luck.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

I imagine practice will help to a degree but deep concealment often sacrifices speed. It's often a tradeoff.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

...oughta work well with bib overalls...

http://www.photos.com/royalty-free-i...=60&popup=true

I use the 3Speed Holster except for the material used , it's the same concept. With this type pf deep conceal, there is a trade off, and it's speed of draw. I am retired and wear Drawstring shorts 95% of the time and Wranglers the rest. I have opted to wear mine at 1:30-2:00. I also wear mine above the belt so i can , if needed get a full grip on it and draw a bit faster, than if I had to start digging in my pants.

20130607_121837a.jpgDSCN4718c.jpgDSCN4719c.jpg

I used mine left of center as well. The barrel points down the front of the left leg.

The draw is much faster than having to untuck a dress shirt to access a tuckable IWB holster. Pull forward on the front of your pants with your support hand, and draw. Also less chance of snagging the draw, since your shirt is tucked behind the holster, not in front.

One hand draw is possible too, just a bit slower - just suck in your belly a bit. You can even draw with your off hand by turning it palm out.

I stopped using mine daily because of discomfort and pain while driving, from the gun backstrap poking me in the same spot all the time. I now pocket carry smaller guns. It is all a trade off, but I do like being able to casually have my hand already on a gun in an iffy situation with pocket carry.
    squid86 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I also find that left of center allows carry of either a Glock 26 or a 19. I find the 26 carries better a little lower and allows but of gun to rest at zipper. I carry the 19 a little higher but not much. I find if I insert hand between 1&2 o clock and sweep I only need one hand and its fast. I find interesting 10th mentions back pain. The reason I use my SmartCarry is due to pain. I find when I carry with other methods on the weekend I often find my back hurting. I guess this as well as any other type of carry just expierement and see what works for you.

Actually the pain I felt was at my bend point, just to the left of my groin, from the point on the backstrap poking the same spot all the time.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Links