Ruger LCP in a Desantis Pocket-Tuk... no bueno

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP in a Desantis Pocket-Tuk... no bueno within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I received my Desantis Pocket-Tuk today. I ordered a lefty and a righty for my LCP that I picked up this past weekend. I'm ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pinot

Thread: Ruger LCP in a Desantis Pocket-Tuk... no bueno

So I received my Desantis Pocket-Tuk today. I ordered a lefty and a righty for my LCP that I picked up this past weekend. I'm debating sending them back or just selling them off. It won't take a break in period to fix design and build flaws.

For starters, the stitched area that curves around for the trigger guard is too short. No matter how far into the holster you wedge an LCP it doesn't fully cover the trigger guard. It also does not seem to want to hold the lcp in place very well. This thing is supposed to be switchable between IWB and pocket carry. To be honest...I think you might be bbetter wrappign the pistol in duck tape and putting it in your pocket than this. I tried jeans(which I wear daily) and cargo shorts. The LCP wants to work loose in pocket carry. With this loose of a fit and the trigger guard not being completely covered this thing is definitely out for me for pocket carry.

I like the clip mount for the IWB and it seems to hold better on the belt than some of the other IWB holsters I have for my 1911's and glocks, but that's where my likes end with the pocket-tuk.

Anyone have any suggestions for a decent IWB holster for a Ruger LCP(without the laser)?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

rkbaholsters.com

Give em a try
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

My son and I both use an Uncle Mike for front pocket carry of our LCPs in jeans or slacks. We first tried the DeSantis, waste of time. There was no doubt what was in our pocket. The uncle Mikes is cheap and does a great job hiding and holding our LCPs.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Most pocket holsters leave at least a little bit of the trigger guard exposed, so that may just be something you have to deal with if you want one of the bigger brands. As long as the trigger itself is covered, you're good to go.

I think IWB carry for an LCP is a kind of silly, but if you're willing to shell out the cash you'd probably love a Crossbreed Microclip or Minituck, even though the latter is a lot of holster for such a tiny gun.

to be honest awhile back ( at least 6 months ago) I bought a nano, and I real quick picked up a bkackhawk size 4 pocket holster. and this thing is great! ive carried everything from the nano, a 357 snub, a sr9c and now an xds, and it has done great with all of them! its well put together and you can carry IWB if you want, ive done it a few times but im fat so it didn't really work for me. but for pocket carry its awesome and it was only 15 bucks at bass pro and cabelas... hard to beat that. but ive been looking at Alabama holsters. alabamaholsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by synx View Post
    Most pocket holsters leave at least a little bit of the trigger guard exposed, so that may just be something you have to deal with if you want one of the bigger brands. As long as the trigger itself is covered, you're good to go.

I think IWB carry for an LCP is a kind of silly, but if you're willing to shell out the cash you'd probably love a Crossbreed Microclip or Minituck, even though the latter is a lot of holster for such a tiny gun.
    Please do expound on the iwb statement. I typically carry everything IWB. I only tried pocket with the LCP because it's so flippin tiny. The problem I'm going to have though is the random crap I carry around in all my pockets and I know there are going to be plenty of times even if I do decide to epmty my pockets just so I can pocket carry, that I'm going to want something other than pocket carry based on clothing/attire/event/routine of the day.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I use recluse. Safest, non printing, easy to draw holster in my opinion.

www.recluseholster.com Ruger:LCP Category

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Please do expound on the iwb statement. I typically carry everything IWB. I only tried pocket with the LCP because it's so flippin tiny. The problem I'm going to have though is the random crap I carry around in all my pockets and I know there are going to be plenty of times even if I do decide to epmty my pockets just so I can pocket carry, that I'm going to want something other than pocket carry based on clothing/attire/event/routine of the day.

The LCP's strength lies in how effortless it is to conceal regardless of wardrobe choice by just sticking it in a pocket holster and dropping it in the pocket of your choice. For the situations where you can conceal an IWB rig, I can't see why you wouldn't just go with a subcom for the huge increase in firepower. Every secure and comfortable IWB holster is going to add an awful lot of bulk to such a tiny gun. Once you find the right holster, it'll be hard to switch back to IWB after pocket carrying.

LCP front right (LCR for me), wallet rear right, cellphone rear left, keys and flashlight front left. Nice and simple.

If you're one of those guys who carries around all of that plus a pen, a multitool, two knives, paracord, cigarettes, a lighter and some chapstick, it may be time to invest in a fanny pack.

I have a LCR in a STICKY and it works real well, entire trigger is covered.

I can't imagine any holster that is a good pocket holster also being a good IWB holster. I look for a holster to do one job well.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

+1 for the uncle Mikes.

I took my UM pocket holster and added a snap to it. By adding the opposite snap to a pocket shaped leather piece, then snapping it into place, "voila!" IMO, the perfect pocket holster for the LCP.

Here's the two pieces separated out. What's cool about this is, you can remove the leather piece if you don't need the additional non printing panel.

Here's another one I made using all leather. This one is meant to mimic a wallet for use in the front or back pocket.

The poor stitch work is used to prevent the outer leather piece from shifting around. I like to able to remove the leather piece if I want, hence the snap button. The small leather piece will show it's use in the next pic.

The next pic shows the pieces separated out. The small strip of hook Velcro mates up to a small strip of loop attached to the holster portion itself. This makes sure that the two pieces stay in place while in the pocket, but still allows it to be a separate piece altogether.

might not look like some of the fancier finely crafted ones, but it didn't cost me much either. An hour or so of my time and about ten dollars worth of material, if even that.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

If you're not into DIY, the Wild Bill's Pocket Packer Premium offers the removable 'flap' in a great pocket holster at a very reasonable price.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Pocket Holsters

Mine is just a strong and sturdy as when I got it several year ago. This is tough, hard leather.

Man, that top zipper addition is an awesome solution for the shorter length pockets. Great idea by that guy...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Links