Lets argue,Fist or Tucker for IWB

Lets argue,Fist or Tucker for IWB

This is a discussion on Lets argue,Fist or Tucker for IWB within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking to get a new leather holster for my 642 for IWB carry. One thing I'm wondering is. Are the belt clips better or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Lets argue,Fist or Tucker for IWB

  1. #1
    VIP Member
    Array kentuckycarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    2,219

    Lets argue,Fist or Tucker for IWB

    I'm looking to get a new leather holster for my 642 for IWB carry. One thing I'm wondering is. Are the belt clips better or the snap straps better on a holster..Which do you prefer?? Fist or Tucker?


  2. #2
    Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    622
    Personally, I'm not a big fan of snap straps...some of them are a bit bulky for my tastes....but spaced straps do work better at distributing the weight of a decent sized gun....with a 15 ounce 642, I don't think it's an issue so I use a clip style for mine...very convienent for on/off also.....I have the Fist #1a for my P7 and it has a very good clip that does not slip off even with out a belt. For my 442 I have a Del Fatti ISP clip on.....if I didn't have the Del Fatti, I would have probably gotten another Fist 1a for my 442...very decent rigs for the money....





    The main reason I went with Del fatti is I was able to get a few features I wanted....thin horsehide, and a low profile, off center clip to reduce bulk...and well, it's a Del Fatti :)

    Last edited by LoveLeather; November 30th, 2006 at 08:55 PM.

  3. #3
    Member Array Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Va.
    Posts
    407
    I have to ask, why limit the discussion to two suppliers? Are these the two you've narrowed your decision down to?

    The reason I ask is, I will be in the market for a nice IWB myself here in the next few weeks, and even after reading tons of topics in this particular forum, a recent and dynamic discussion where I can ask questions would be of great benefit.

    For me (trying to stay on topic and beneficial to the discussion here), I believe I would prefer an IWB with fully enclosed loops (with snaps, one-way or not), as opposed to a clip, just for that peace of mind that comes with a bit of extra security. Not even necessarily to counteract the movement of the draw to keep your holster in place, although that is a priority, but also to keep people from getting their grubby paws on my weapon, especially for any holsters that might have a thumb break.

    Of course, this is all depending on the type of clip, and how you wear it. That being said, you can't wear a looped IWB with a pair of sweatpants, or without a belt.

    Looking forward to this thread.

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    45,465

    OK...As a Rep From Fist...

    Not really, but I feel like it.
    I have over 2 doz different holsters from Fist. I've had many from other suppliers...
    All of my IWB's are from Fist.

    Superb leather quality...
    Most holsters look good on the I-Net...Fist look good in your hand...
    The clip on each and every holsters is tough, practical, and works perfectly...
    The 'clip' design will not let go of the belt, yet easy to put on or remove...
    The clip will work without a belt...not what you want to do, but it will hold the holster in place...without the support of a belt you will find decreased effeciency...

    Fist...great company to deal with...quick service and discounted holsters after so many purchases...after about #12, a 20% discount...
    Fist holsters are not cheap, but will compete with ANY other brand...IMO...
    Not a big company...one owner who you can talk to on the phone...not like calling Galco...

    Delivery is said to be 3-5 weeks...I have yet to wait more than 4 weeks, and I've had some in three...
    I have returned one holster...great guarentee...don't like it, return it for a full refund...not a restocking fee like some companys...the one I returned was made in error (all mine are righties...this one was to be a leftee'...really my mistake)...returned and received another in less than 2 weeks...

    As I stated earlier...I'm not really a Rep...but I feel like one...

    In all fairness, I've seem some great looking holsters made by guys on this forum, but I have not had the opportunity to try any of their products...from what I read, I believe you will be treated fairly...

    I have stuck with Fist...the I-Net address is found at the top of this page under 'Related Links'...

    Enjoy your search,

    ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  5. #5
    VIP Member
    Array kentuckycarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    2,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    I have to ask, why limit the discussion to two suppliers? Are these the two you've narrowed your decision down to?

    The reason I ask is, I will be in the market for a nice IWB myself here in the next few weeks, and even after reading tons of topics in this particular forum, a recent and dynamic discussion where I can ask questions would be of great benefit.

    For me (trying to stay on topic and beneficial to the discussion here), I believe I would prefer an IWB with fully enclosed loops (with snaps, one-way or not), as opposed to a clip, just for that peace of mind that comes with a bit of extra security. Not even necessarily to counteract the movement of the draw to keep your holster in place, although that is a priority, but also to keep people from getting their grubby paws on my weapon, especially for any holsters that might have a thumb break.

    Of course, this is all depending on the type of clip, and how you wear it. That being said, you can't wear a looped IWB with a pair of sweatpants, or without a belt.

    Looking forward to this thread.
    I have narrowed it down to those 2 , but would be open to other suggestions. the Biggest thing i was wondering is the clips versous the snap loops.. I have an uncle mikes IWB which doesnt give me enough padding. Its not bad , but i know a leather holster would be better and more supportive. I dont want one with only one clip either..

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    45,465

    robere

    All mine have just one clip...IMO...you'll only need one clip for an IWB...I've never had a problem...

    ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  7. #7
    Member Array Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Va.
    Posts
    407
    I can imagine with smaller, probably single-stack pistols would work fine with a single clip IWB, but full-frame weapons such as most full-size pistols, and 1911s especially (with their heavier weight), might do a bit better with two points of support via the loops.

    Another issue I can see is the possibility of your cant shifting around, but as Retsupt mentioned, the clips are strong enough to limit that a good bit, I imagine. Besides, cant shift can be a good thing, especially when driving/seated.

    Of course, this is all conjecture from me combined with things I've picked up on at this point, as I haven't used an IWB yet.

  8. #8
    VIP Member
    Array kentuckycarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    2,219
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    All mine have just one clip...IMO...you'll only need one clip for an IWB...I've never had a problem...

    ret
    The reason I'd like 2 clips is to adjust the cant. I'm sure one clip would do fine with a 642 as far as stability. I'm leaning towards the snap straps...

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    45,465

    Remember...

    IWB will be effective for keeping your gun in place by the very nature of an effective belt.
    I carry both my Kimber's...Ultra and Pro...via one 'clip' IWB style.
    I use a 15'-20' cant holster...no problems...none...
    In fact, if I choose to tilt back or forward a little...it stays...

    VERY comfortable...

    OMO

    ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  10. #10
    VIP Member
    Array kentuckycarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    2,219
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    IWB will be effective for keeping your gun in place by the very nature of an effective belt.
    I carry both my Kimber's...Ultra and Pro...via one 'clip' IWB style.
    I use a 15'-20' cant holster...no problems...none...
    In fact, if I choose to tilt back or forward a little...it stays...

    VERY comfortable...

    OMO

    ret
    I do have a good gun belt and even with my Uncle Mikes IWB it does stay pretty steady. But i would like to have more cant.. Are'nt you limited to one cant position with a single clip holster? I would think driving would be better with more cant options.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    622
    You said it was for a 642...for a gun that small you don't even need a cant since the grip is so small...with two clips your holster will have a bigger footprint....not really needed with such a small gun...and if you get it straight drop, you can also wear it appendix style as pictured....

  12. #12
    Sponsor
    Array Rob Longenecker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    82
    I recommend a single clip IWB (like our Cover Up for J-Frame) for the Model 642. LoveLeather said it well.

  13. #13
    Member Array plblark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    284
    I don't own a Fist but I do own a Tucker Answer. The clips on the tucker are incredible. Not thin folder kydex. These look to be molded and provide rock solid attachment at the belt. From the pictures, the tucker leather and fit / finish seems to be much higher quality as well. I received my Answer in 3 weeks and Rob was good to deal with.

    That said, there IS a price difference.

    I can definitely see the point in canting a J-Frame IWB for access while seated. I'd rather not have any cant drift. I'd rather wear it more canted all the time and always know how it's going to sit. That's personal preference of course so your mileage may vary

  14. #14
    VIP Member
    Array kentuckycarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    2,219
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLeather View Post
    You said it was for a 642...for a gun that small you don't even need a cant since the grip is so small...with two clips your holster will have a bigger footprint....not really needed with such a small gun...and if you get it straight drop, you can also wear it appendix style as pictured....
    OK , I knew this was coming. Guess I'm going to have to add to my collection of holsters and buy 2 to see which I like best. I'd like a cant, mainly for driving. I understand the 2 clips or snap straps would be a bigger base to cover.. OH MY GOD !!! TOO MANY DECISIONS !!!!!!!!!!!

  15. #15
    VIP Member
    Array kentuckycarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    2,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Longenecker View Post
    I recommend a single clip IWB (like our Cover Up for J-Frame) for the Model 642. LoveLeather said it well.
    I looked at this holster and liked it. It may be the answer. Thanks,,,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Brothers argue over bathroom,1 dead
    By dukalmighty in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: January 29th, 2010, 11:14 PM
  2. How do you argue with the truly stupid?
    By Cold Warrior in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: January 9th, 2010, 09:33 PM
  3. Who can argue with 5th Special Forces Group?
    By ghost tracker in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: January 19th, 2007, 07:59 PM
  4. never argue with a woman
    By steve_db in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: October 23rd, 2006, 04:55 PM

Search tags for this page

best tucker vs fist iwb holster

Click on a term to search for related topics.