New ccw holder

This is a discussion on New ccw holder within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently posted about how to use a Smart Carry holster. I also bought a Crossbreed Supertuck and Crossbreed belt. And a CCC Shaggy appendix ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New ccw holder

New ccw holder

I recently posted about how to use a Smart Carry holster.

I also bought a Crossbreed Supertuck and Crossbreed belt. And a CCC Shaggy appendix holster.

I only wore each one once, but both felt weird, awkward, and slow to draw from.

The Supertuck was slow because I think I had it back too far, and I had trouble reaching far enough back to grab my XDm compact. I'll put it on closer to 3:30 next time.

The Shaggy was slow because the retention was so tight. I felt like I'd need to be King Arthur to free my gun from that holster.

My questions:
    1) Is it likely I'll get comfortable with them over time, and just get used to it?
    2) Do I just need to practice my draw a couple hundred times to get it fast?

Thanks,
    Schwarf

2. Remove Ads

Yes and yes. I find I have more luck with a crossbreed style hybrid more at the 3-3:30 position. If it doesn't have the combat cut and some of the leather is slowing you down as you grab for your holster trim where necessary. If retention is too tight you can try loosening any tension screws etc (I am unfamiliar with the shaggy holster). Also with the crossbreed experiment with ride depth and cant. You can change it to be canted more or less and really customize how the gun sits. My carry method of choice
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Thanks. I haven't tried adjusting the clips. They just screw on and off for the Crossbreed, right?

A hybrid worn at the 3-4 o'clock (or 8-9 o'clock) position is the most comfortable option IMO. So yes your initial issues should go away and you'll get spoiled by the level of comfort after awhile.

Sponsor
    Agreed with what the others have said. A portion of the "awkwardness" is likely because you're new to carrying something that big at your waist and inside the pants. Give it a few weeks of daily wear or at least wear it around the house so it feels more natural. I'm just the opposite, every time I put on a pair of pants with out an SHTF Gear IWB holster it feels really unnatural and awkward.

I like to wear a hybrid holster at about the 3:30 position with about a 15 degree forward cant.

-Clay

Boy I really have the mentality of a 12 year old most of the time.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by maniacmechanic View Post
    Boy I really have the mentality of a 12 year old most of the time.

Hmm.... odd and confusing comment.... Care to offer any further explanation?

-Clay

Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    Hmm.... odd and confusing comment.... Care to offer any further explanation?

-Clay
    Big... in pants... real juvenile. Forgive me. Just spent all day shopping for household decorations and kitchen stuffs... saw the comment and had a giggle.
    SHTFGearLLC and Phaedrus like this.

Actually, I had the same thought. I just didn't want to admit it.
    maniacmechanic likes this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by maniacmechanic View Post
    Big... in pants... real juvenile. Forgive me. Just spent all day shopping for household decorations and kitchen stuffs... saw the comment and had a giggle.

Haha, OK. I re-read the comment. after laughing I thought "man I better edit that!".... but no, I shall leave it in place for the continued enjoyment.

-Clay

Haha, OK. I re-read the comment. after laughing I thought "man I better edit that!".... but no, I shall leave it in place for the continued enjoyment.

-Clay
    Lmbo! Do what you wish sir! I got my giggles... hahahaha!

I too am new to cc. Here's a shot of my White Hat IWB and belt, which is similar to your crossbreed. Took a few days of playing with waist location, cant, and ride depth to get it right for me. After a few days with the right adjustments, I hardly notice it's there.
    Hth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Attached Images
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Update:

I've worn my Crossbreed a couple times, both in and out of the house since I last posted. I moved the holster up to 3:30 or so, and comfort and ability to draw improved a lot. I just need to wear it more and more to get used to it now.

Also, the Shaggy holster did have a tension screw, and some adjustment makes the draw just fine. I haven't worn it again, though, so I can't comment on comfort.

Agreed with what the others have said. A portion of the "awkwardness" is likely because you're new to carrying something that big at your waist and inside the pants. Give it a few weeks of daily wear or at least wear it around the house so it feels more natural. I'm just the opposite, every time I put on a pair of pants with out an SHTF Gear IWB holster it feels really unnatural and awkward.

I like to wear a hybrid holster at about the 3:30 position with about a 15 degree forward cant.-Clay

This^^^^
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarf View Post
    Actually, I had the same thought. I just didn't want to admit it.
    Great minds think alike! Good to know I'm not the only guy that wanted to throw out a "that's what SHE said!"
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links