What I Need A Holster To Be Like

This is a discussion on What I Need A Holster To Be Like within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My edc guns have changed considerably over the years, going from micro to subcompact to compact/full-sized. During that time, I have acquired the inescapable drawer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What I Need A Holster To Be Like

VIP Member

What I Need A Holster To Be Like

My edc guns have changed considerably over the years, going from micro to subcompact to compact/full-sized. During that time, I have acquired the inescapable drawer full of holsters, but also a very clear understanding of my perfect holster. In order to effectively conceal, easily access and comfortably carry, my criteria for my holsters have become very specific:

An IWB works best for me with the center point of the gun carried at the 3:00/9:00 position. My waist size (32-33") and hip shape makes this work best;

I need the holster to be fairly wide, about seven inches from front to rear snaps. This is the most effective size I have found to distribute the weight and the outline of the holster across my hip. Larger makes it too cumbersome while smaller makes it print more and ride less comfortably;

Slightly-oversized leather belt loops on the rear snap allows the holster to shift slightly for comfort as I move around. I also need the front loop to loop over the top of the holster from the rear to allow further adjustment of cant/ride depth as needed;

I want the holster to encase the entire gun. Exposed barrel against skin or clothing does not work for me;

I need the design and construction themselves to provide retention. Retention dependent upon belt/pants tension makes holstering too cumbersome for me;

My holster has to be thin. Steel mouth bands, thick construction materials, and uncontoured walls are out, as they adversely affect concealment and comfort;

A twenty-degree forward cant works best for me. This allows the butt to ride forward and high enough to help eliminate printing, but still affords a fast, easy draw;

I prefer the set-up to ride deep along the belt line. High rides print more on me, and jab me in the ribs;

There must be at least 1-1/4" open space between the bottom corner of the back strap and holster/belt/pants. This allows me fast, easy access for a full-handed grip and draw without scraping my knuckles on kydex or leather.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a quality hybrid IWB holster like my Whitehat Max Tuck is right up your alley.

Grab you a Theis holster. Great customer service, and quick turnaround

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    Sounds like a quality hybrid IWB holster like my Whitehat Max Tuck is right up your alley.
    The Whitehat appears to be a quality hybrid holster. Unfortunately, I have a couple problems with hybrids in general. The first one is the un-boned leather which goes next to the body. For me, it feels like I have an uncomfortable, hot slab of leather riding against my body. I definitely need for both sides of the holster to be molded against the gun. The other problem I have with them is the partially-exposed slide and exposed muzzle. I need my holster to completely encase the slide of the gun.
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I need one of those spring loaded jobs like in "Taxi Driver" or that terrible Schwarzenegger movie "Red Heat". That or mastery of The Force to just think it into my hand.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Check out CONCEALMENT SOLUTIONS. They have a very comfortable holster . The leather is super, it is boned they will encase the muzzle too. I LOVE MINE, the BLACK MAMBA. I don't use a t- shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The Whitehat appears to be a quality hybrid holster. Unfortunately, I have a couple problems with hybrids in general. The first one is the un-boned leather which goes next to the body. For me, it feels like I have an uncomfortable, hot slab of leather riding against my body. I definitely need for both sides of the holster to be molded against the gun. The other problem I have with them is the partially-exposed slide and exposed muzzle. I need my holster to completely encase the slide of the gun.
    Call White Hat Holsters and have them mold you a custom kydex that covers the entire slide. When you get the holster go to Walmart and purchase some self adhesive moleskin in a roll and apply it to the back of the holster and you will be good to go. The moleskin can be found with the foot products.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Call White Hat Holsters and have them mold you a custom kydex that covers the entire slide. When you get the holster go to Walmart and purchase some self adhesive moleskin in a roll and apply it to the back of the holster and you will be good to go. The moleskin can be found with the foot products.
    I'm actually good to go with holsters, but am curious to see what criteria other people are looking for in their edc setups. What does the moleskin do for you?
    Tuco

Sounds like you are describing the inside the waistband CompTac MTAC; leather body w/kydex half shell, fully adjustable. Change guns? Just order another half shell.

You basically described the Comp-tac CTAC to a T. Did I win? (I love mine!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm actually good to go with holsters, but am curious to see what criteria other people are looking for in their edc setups. What does the moleskin do for you?
    The 'moleskin' (like marshmallow liner) puts a breathable barrier between you and your clingy holster, its an ol' cop trick. It works for a lot of folks.
    Now days, I like the optional belt-clips ($20.) on my PF9s instead of holsters. They slip in RF jeans & look like a pocket knife clip.
    They also work well between pants and a good belt... easy to forget its even there, I wear 'em around 2:30.
    The PF9 is the smallest, lightest 9mm pistol available 12.6 ozs, IIRC.. I have a 1st Gen about 7 years old and recently got a 6th Gen, since the first was so reliable thru 4500 rounds. The new ones have metal mag releases.
    They are for SD, not range guns. But, are +P rated, so it will get you home alive. I practice at 30 ft & get 3 in groups.
    Not many self defense shots over 12 feet that a jury would buy.

For my Cold Defender .45acp, I use a 'Clip-Draw'. It is similar to the belt-clip, but fastens under the grip. Carries great at 4:00.

I have holsters for e/thing + a box of holsters I need to go through, but I prefer my 'belt-clips' these days for comfort & accessibility.

I know what holster you have from previous posts, but it's not as common or well-known as lots of the holsters you hear about on here.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I would have taken you for a OWB guy, I second dinlong... sounds a lot like Comp-tac CTAC. What brand do you carry?

I will end your torture... he wears a Midworld Ohio Special IIRC
    Remy likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    I would have taken you for a OWB guy, I second dinlong... sounds a lot like Comp-tac CTAC. What brand do you carry?
    I tried an OWB one time, and wasn't at all pleased with the results. Brommeland Max-Con V leather holsters, Ohio Special from Midworld in kydex, and a tweaked Ohio Special design I make myself are the three holsters I use, all of which fit the criteria I described in my original post.
    Tuco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links