OWB Cant

OWB Cant

This is a discussion on OWB Cant within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is best degree angle of cant in owb pancake holster for conceal carry? 4:30 ish location, full service size semi auto. Factors are concealment ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: OWB Cant

OWB Cant

What is best degree angle of cant in owb pancake holster for conceal carry? 4:30 ish location, full service size semi auto. Factors are concealment first, comfort second.

Distinguished Member
    Glad you asked. I'll be watching the replies myself. I recently went to a gun show and looked at some OWB holsters but the ones that you could make major cant adjustment had a retention system I didn't like.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Quote Originally Posted by dgunnut View Post
    What is best degree angle of cant in owb pancake holster for conceal carry? 4:30 ish location, full service size semi auto. Factors are concealment first, comfort second.
    Depends on your body's shape and clothing choices.

For me, it has always been a ~20-22 forward cant, when holstered at the ~3:30-5 spot.

Presuming your body shape allows for snug, tight pulling-in of the butt-end of the gun into your body, and presuming your clothing is of a cut and material that easily conceals whatever you're carrying ... then, a relatively low-riding or mid-riding holster with ~15-20 degrees of forward cant might be a good place to start. IMO, it'll depend on your shape, though, as to what's best on you.

If you're still uncertain of the best cant and ride height for you, you might consider acquiring one initial adjustable holster. One that's got adjustment "rungs" on either side, so you can adjust the height and cant until you find that one perfect spot. Then, once you know, you can hunt for (or specify) a holster made with that cant and positioning in leather.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Depends on your body's shape and clothing choices.

For me, it has always been a ~20-22 forward cant, when holstered at the ~3:30-5 spot.

Presuming your body shape allows for snug, tight pulling-in of the butt-end of the gun into your body, and presuming your clothing is of a cut and material that easily conceals whatever you're carrying ... then, a relatively low-riding or mid-riding holster with ~15-20 degrees of forward cant might be a good place to start. IMO, it'll depend on your shape, though, as to what's best on you.

If you're still uncertain of the best cant and ride height for you, you might consider acquiring one initial adjustable holster. One that's got adjustment "rungs" on either side, so you can adjust the height and cant until you find that one perfect spot. Then, once you know, you can hunt for (or specify) a holster made with that cant and positioning in leather.
    I am 6'1" 187 lbs. Good point on getting adjustable to try first, I have one, a black hawk Serpa, but it's a paddle and sticks out further than a pancake so its difficult for me to tell whether it's that or the cant causing issues.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

This is an excellent question and you have expressed the most important considerations, with priorities.
    Simple answer is 15 to 22 degrees.
    Carrying concealed is not the same as open carry. For instance, with duty holsters I have always worn around the 3 o'clock position, with zero cant. Makes for the fastest access, easiest draw and is relatively secure.
    But carrying concealed is all about compromise.
    Moving from 3 o'clock to 4:30 helps to conceal but compromises access, and ease of draw. At the 4:30 position, changing the angle to 15-22 degrees makes accessing and drawing a little easier compared to straight drop. Changing the angle also helps conceal by keeping the barrel of the pistol higher compared to straight drop.
    The negative is the weird angle of drawing the pistol.
    Hope this helps.
    Cdknox and sensei2 like this.
    NRA Life Member

GH
    I like a slight forward cant when I carry at 3:30-4:30 . In those positions I could even go with a straight drop. When I go any further back on my body (seldom) then I'll wear a holster with a fairly large cant. Any cant that's too extreme feels very awkward to me & I feel because of that, difficult to draw efficiently.

My ideal setup would be a holster in the style of my favorite ones that can rotate to any cant & stay locked in place forward & backward for cross draw.

Anything can be trained for. Each time I get a new holster I draw my unloaded handgun many times for practice & I recommend that to everyone. Learn to clear any clothing out of the way, draw the weapon & dry fire. I'll do a few of those cycles each time I strap the gun on, typically 5 to 7 times.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Administrator
    I like quite a bit of forward rake for behind the hip carry. I carry a full size firearm and if I get the firearm butt up enough I can conceal under a T-Shirt.
    That works for me because I never wear a vest or cover garment.

He is my pic of my Del Fatti back when it was spanky new. Most folks do not use this much forward rake but, it works for me.

A good holster that pulls the firearm in close and a good gun belt are a necessity.

My Red Nichols 1911 rig does not have as extreme a forward rake but, it still conceals amazingly well under an oversize "T".

Here you go. Check this page out compliments of our friend Matt Del Fatti

http://www.delfatti.com/webdoc20.html

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Grip length plays a factor as well, in regards to concealability. I prefer 20-22 degrees for both OWB and IWB carry. I carry around 4:00 both ways. I am 6'4, 260 and thick where I shouldn't be and I have no issues concealing under a t shirt.

Eipo and Ccw have summed it up pretty well, expecting they're speaking of "static" or "bench" angle, which is on the belt but not yet on the body. It's not useful to consider angle while worn, which is an increase of several degrees, because it takes instruments to measure it, while bench angle can be measured with the rig laid out, on, well, a bench. Wearing your holstered pistol that far back might require you to choose the more extreme of the range given.

There's a fancy way to choose optimum bench angle for your own pistol, posted previously on the forum and which takes into account barrel length and grip length; but few folks are inclined to go to the trouble because the delta is just a degree or two, which you'll accomplish by shifting everything into the sweet spot behind your iliac crest until you're comfortable.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Red (Richard) Nichols
    "Chief Holster Scientist"

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Red_.../about_us.html

the 4:30 position is where i almost always carry OWB. i'm 5'7", 155 pounds. i would guess that my holsters have 15-20 degrees of cant, but i've never really measured.

FOR ME, tilting the top of the gun forward tends to cup the gun butt into the small of my back more, aiding in comfort and concealment. in the 4:30 spot, i would suspect that some cant is necessary for a smooth draw, but YMMV.

as previous posters have mentioned, a good rigid gunbelt and a holster that doesn't let the gun sag away from you are absolute necessities.

You have to find a balance between these two. When you do, that'll be the cant you need.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

I am 5'9 and carry either a Glock 26 in a Raven Concealment or a G30SF in a Crown (similar to Raven). Both holsters have 15 degree cant. I find this seems to help with both the draw and concealment.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I like quite a bit of forward rake for behind the hip carry. I carry a full size firearm and if I get the firearm butt up enough I can conceal under a T-Shirt.
    That works for me because I never wear a vest or cover garment.

He is my pic of my Del Fatti back when it was spanky new. Most folks do not use this much forward rake but, it works for me.

A good holster that pulls the firearm in close and a good gun belt are a necessity.

My Red Nichols 1911 rig does not have as extreme a forward rake but, it still conceals amazingly well under an oversize "T".

Here you go. Check this page out compliments of our friend Matt Del Fatti

http://www.delfatti.com/webdoc20.html

Excellent site. I did the cant check and came up with approximately 30 degrees as my preferred amount, seems high, but that's what it measured.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

I am 6'1" 187 lbs. Good point on getting adjustable to try first, I have one, a black hawk Serpa, but it's a paddle and sticks out further than a pancake so its difficult for me to tell whether it's that or the cant causing issues.
    Well, you can temporarily attach a pad (stiff sponge, foam or similar) along the bottom body-side edge of that holster, and it'll tilt the butt-end of the gun more snugly against the body. Might be worthwhile, for testing purposes, at least until you get a feel for the degree of cant that seems to make a difference. Since you've already got such an adjustable holster, seems like a slam dunk. Then, once you know the cant that works with your shape and position of carry, you can then order up a suitably snug/close-fitting holster with that degree of cant.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Excellent site. I did the cant check and came up with approximately 30 degrees as my preferred amount, seems high, but that's what it measured.
    I agree, it's not an angle that I would intentionally design into a strong-side holster. And yet consider that Heiser's original FBI revolver holster of the 50s had this very angle, and John Bianchi's 60s copy even more at 35 degrees; and that an sob holster angle is 60 degrees.

One of Galco's pancake holsters has the 30 degree angle, and I have to assume many happy customers. Gallagher managed to take John's King of Gunleather crown from him, really by default.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Red (Richard) Nichols
    "Chief Holster Scientist"

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Red_.../about_us.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links