Do light attachment holsters still work without light attached?

This is a discussion on Do light attachment holsters still work without light attached? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So instead of buying 2 holsters, I would like to purchase just one for my Sig P229 with TLR-1HL attachment light. The light will be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So instead of buying 2 holsters, I would like to purchase just one for my Sig P229 with TLR-1HL attachment light. The light will be attached 95% of the time but for times that it's not, will the holster still secure the firearm?

Anyone with any experience?

Thanks!

I don't know, that's a good question.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

I have a RDR Kydex holster and it is not, however, Off The Grid Concepts makes a holster that, for an additional 10 dollars, can be light/no light compatible.

https://otghex.com/products/nocturna...winder-series/

Most lights are thicker than the slide. And you loose all the retention in the trigger guard to allow the light to pass through. If it still fits it will likely be a sloppy fit. Most likely it won't fit. I've made a few and I do not guarantee a fit without the light.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I have never tried it, but most of the holster makers I have communicated with, have said "no."
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I've got a kydex for my M&P 9 w/TLR. I've tried using it without the light on it. It's secure enough that I don't worry about the gun falling out if I bend over but the gun can definitely move around a little in the holster. Even though it's not that bad I really don't use the holster unless the light is attached.

No, my Glock 23 flops around in my Bianchi 90 holster when my TLR-1 is off. It may work with a kydex holster though. I have like 5 holsters per gun....just buy both.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

Yes, but as others have said, they are not as snug. I have a safariland thigh rig for my M&P with light attached.

That being said, I wish I had gotten one for pistol alone. I have the same light as you, btw. I dont think you will be happy with buying one for pistol & light, and having it do double duty.

A good many makers warn outright that they won't retain without the light. The light is usually larger around than that portion of the slide, and they retain on the light. You might get lucky but overall I don't think it will work well. At any rate, why would you want to? You already have all the bulk built into the holster; you're not saving any space by taking off the light. Most lights only weigh a few ounces, so you're not saving much weight (my Inforce APL weighs under 3oz IIRC).
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

The Off The Grid ones I posted up top use a piece of metal to block off the light channel if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    A good many makers warn outright that they won't retain without the light. The light is usually larger around than that portion of the slide, and they retain on the light. You might get lucky but overall I don't think it will work well. At any rate, why would you want to? You already have all the bulk built into the holster; you're not saving any space by taking off the light. Most lights only weigh a few ounces, so you're not saving much weight (my Inforce APL weighs under 3oz IIRC).
    Well the wife and I just dropped about $1700 between her AR and Sig this check and buying two holsters is definitely out the question at the moment. Maybe here in a month or two yea I could but I wouldn't wanna wait that long to get a holster for my Sig. Thus the question. I guess I'll probably just buy the light bearing holster first and then save up again for my other holster.

Heres a review on the light/no light holster so you won't need to buy two separate holsters.

http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/firstline2.html

Quote Originally Posted by slidewayz240 View Post
    Heres a review on the light/no light holster so you won't need to buy two separate holsters.

Military Morons First Line Gear page 2
    That's a pretty slick solution!
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

New Member Array Daveditchdigger's Avatar
    I concur. If the light does not impair draw, no reason to remove it. A light may be needed at any time. Same as a knife.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links