Holster conversion to drop down?

This is a discussion on Holster conversion to drop down? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Safariland concealment ALS holster for my Glock 23 that I use for everyday open carry. I plan on doing some hiking and ...

Thread: Holster conversion to drop down?

Holster conversion to drop down?

I have a Safariland concealment ALS holster for my Glock 23 that I use for everyday open carry. I plan on doing some hiking and think a drop down holster would be more suitable. But they are quite expensive for me for this purpose only.
    Does anyone know if there is a conversion kit to make this into a temporary drop down holster. If so, is my level one holster retention practical for drop down carry?

2. Remove Ads

I think having a 2# weight on one leg (especially one and not the other) will get old quick. When your carry weight is carried on your torso as you lift each leg the weight is carried by the leg/bones planted on the ground - you're defeating this advantage by using a leg holster. I believe their only real purpose is to get the gun away from body armor/gear on your torso. Seems like if it was an efficient way to carry stuff there would be more leg packs on the market. Does your pack have a hip belt that would get in the way of waist carry? Have you considered a chest rig? Before investing in one, I'd make a cheap holder to hold a 2# weight on your leg and start walking with your pack to see how you like it.

O.K. Thank you. You make a good point. I'll look more.

As long as the weight is also anchored to your belt like it is with a drog leg holster then it could be a good look at how it will work. It would be more time and effort to build a rig that carried a weight similar to a Safariland drop leg than just getting a drop leg set up and selling it off if you don't like it.

These were/are all over the Middle East because they work great even on long patrols with plenty of gear. Still it might not be the most comfortable for you personally.

Links