Holster Shirt

This is a discussion on Holster Shirt within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking to buy a holster shirt and would like feedback on only this type of carry. Does anyone have experience with the 5.11 ...

View Poll Results: Which holster shirt

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Undertech Undercover

3 33.33%

6 66.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Holster Shirt

Holster Shirt

I am looking to buy a holster shirt and would like feedback on only this type of carry. Does anyone have experience with the 5.11 holster shirt and/or a comparison of the 5.11 and the Undertech Undercover?

I will be carrying a PM9 or Shield, thanks!

http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/Pro...spx?p=CT%20682

Undertech UnderCover

Which one do feel is better?

2. Remove Ads

I have a couple of the 511 holster shirts. They aren't that great. It would be cheaper to get a good shoulder holster and wear it under your shirt. They are hot. They don't hold the gun securely. They print. The gun may not be turned correctly for drawing. Slow to draw from. It would take at least five or six of them if you are going to make it your primary carry method.
    I would just get a good shoulder holster.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I read the title as Holster Skirt and couldn't click fast enough to get in here.
    357and40, stylus and Taurahe like this.

I bought a Packin T some time ago and I've worn it several times under a regular shirt. It is a very tight form fitting reinforced undershirt. I doubt that it will handle a heavy gun without some distress although my Kel Tec pf9 is very comfortable. I realize the pf9 is a pocket gun, but I like to exercise all my options. What is nice about it is that the whole arrangement is removable with a very strong Velcro. Check it out.

Amazon.com: Packin Tee V-NECK Holster Shirt / Shoulder Holster-Deep Conceal-Concealed Gun Shirt, Cross Draw Holster, More Versitile Than a 5.11 Tactical S/S Holster Shirt: Sports & Outdoors
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I have tried the 5.11 holster shirt and like it. The V-neck seems to fit differently, though. It is uncomfortable, as though the pocket is too high up in the armpit. I would not suggest a handgun that weighs more than 25-30 oz loaded since it could overcome the hold of the Velcro if you have to bend forward significantly.

What's nice is that it gets the weight up off your belt, makes the firearm comfortable when driving and the orientation is pointing mostly down and not back at anyone behind you like some shoulder holsters.

On the downside, they do not permit a quick draw, like any shoulder holster or cross-draw you can sweep your body or leg, and alone it will print.

I really liked the idea of the 5.11 holster shirt so I ordered one. At the time, my primary concealed carry gun was a Glock G29 SF 10mm compact. I had the Glock under my left arm pit and a spare magazine under the right arm pit. It felt good wearing it. I went to a grocery store while wearing it. I needed something off of the bottom shelf that was way back. I leaned over from the waist and reached for it. The Glock hit the Velcro and went through it like a hot knife through butter. It hit my outer shirt and headed for the floor. I managed to catch it about an inch or two from hitting the floor. I was standing there with a condition one gun in my hand trying to get it back in the holster opening with people and shopping carts around me. No one said anything. I haven't used it since. I now carry a government size 1911 on my belt. If you are going to try one, use a small very light handgun. It is very warm and restrictive in the summer. It is not bad wearing it during the winter. It is now an expensive winter t-shirt.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

I have a t-shirt with a holster sewn to it that some guy made and sold at a gunshow. Sure it's not the same as the ones linked above...but it's kinda the same principle. It sucks. It pulls to one side and rubs my neck.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

I have not worn a 5.11 so I can't make a comparison. I have an Undertech and wear it when the temps are cooler. It took some getting used to but I like it.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I really liked the idea of the 5.11 holster shirt so I ordered one. At the time, my primary concealed carry gun was a Glock G29 SF 10mm compact. I had the Glock under my left arm pit and a spare magazine under the right arm pit. It felt good wearing it. I went to a grocery store while wearing it. I needed something off of the bottom shelf that was way back. I leaned over from the waist and reached for it. The Glock hit the Velcro and went through it like a hot knife through butter. It hit my outer shirt and headed for the floor. I managed to catch it about an inch or two from hitting the floor. I was standing there with a condition one gun in my hand trying to get it back in the holster opening with people and shopping carts around me. No one said anything. I haven't used it since. I now carry a government size 1911 on my belt. If you are going to try one, use a small very light handgun. It is very warm and restrictive in the summer. It is not bad wearing it during the winter. It is now an expensive winter t-shirt.
    From what I hear the 5.11 is the best, but I like the look and layout of the Undercover. The retention strap seams kind of silly with the Undertech. OK, so if I decide to go for a holster shirt, how are they sized? I wear a medium to large shirt. Looking to carry a PM9, Shield or LCR. Thanks! The other options I saw were the Kangaroo Carry,etc., but I need something easy to put on. I change at a gym and the last thing I want is for people to see me strapping on a "bra" lol

How is the draw from the Undertech? Does it hold up in the wash? Get stinky?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    I bought a Packin T some time ago and I've worn it several times under a regular shirt. It is a very tight form fitting reinforced undershirt. I doubt that it will handle a heavy gun without some distress although my Kel Tec pf9 is very comfortable. I realize the pf9 is a pocket gun, but I like to exercise all my options. What is nice about it is that the whole arrangement is removable with a very strong Velcro. Check it out.

Amazon.com: Packin Tee V-NECK Holster Shirt / Shoulder Holster-Deep Conceal-Concealed Gun Shirt, Cross Draw Holster, More Versitile Than a 5.11 Tactical S/S Holster Shirt: Sports & Outdoors
    Is the packin tee constructed well? It looked somewhat "cheap" if I recall

Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    Is the packin tee constructed well? It looked somewhat "cheap" if I recall
    I don't think it is constructed cheaply. What is nice about it is that you can remove the outer holster flap when washing the shirt, plus you can re position it to raise or lower your position. It holds my gun (pf9) very securely and comfortably. I don't have any experience with holding a larger gun with it as I bought the shirt specifically for a smaller gun while traveling.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

I've tried both and didn't like them. The 5.11's pocket is too deep for me to be able to reach a small gun. The Undertech's compression was just too tight for all day wear. I don't really know why, but it got really old by the end of the day.

Now when I need deep concealment, I use a Kangaroo Carry Sky Marshall with a G19 or a Shield.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

TRX
    Quote Originally Posted by OkSlim View Post
    I read the title as Holster Skirt and couldn't click fast enough to get in here.
    I think it would make my butt look too big.

Among the dozens (and dozens) of smart marketers who develop & sell "new & innovative" concealed handgun carry products, I've decided that a lot (most?) of them have become like fishing lure manufacturers. Their products seem increasingly aimed (pardon the pun) more at catching fisherman than catching... fish. IMHO, there are much better methods & locations to attach a holster on my person than to sew it to a tee shirt.
    Taurahe likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links