Help with OWB for my new M&P 9 mm compact

This is a discussion on Help with OWB for my new M&P 9 mm compact within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just recently received my carry permit purchased my first handgun for this purpose. I spent many hours on this site while waiting for my ...

I just recently received my carry permit purchased my first handgun for this purpose. I spent many hours on this site while waiting for my permit to arrive reading up on IWB holsters as that is how I will plan to carry nearly 100% of the time, however, I could now use some help with an OWB holster.

My intentions are for the OWB to be primarily for securing my pistol at the range and also while being outdoors at the family cabin and acreage in northern Wisconsin. Typical activities would be primarily hiking, walking to and from our shooting area and also some four wheeling.

I am looking to spend around $50 or so, not much more, preferably less as it won't be used as often.

I would appreciate guidance for my compact M&P 9mm, also I shoot lefty.

TM

I just got an M&P as well (full sized 40). Love the gun. Anyways, why do you intend on getting a holster specifically for the range to fit a gun that you will 99% carry otherwise? I understand IWB holsters can be uncomfortable with hot guns, but I personally see the range as an opportunity to train myself with the gun+holster combo, not just for putting holes in paper. I would recommend only getting holsters for that gun that you will actually use AND practice with. Drawing from a holster is tricky to do safely and effectively and can be dangerous to do without adequate practice.

Why have you chosen IWB? Is it for deep concealment or do you think you can't hide your gun(s) in an OWB holster? For the longest time I believed I could only carry my full sized XD in an IWB holster. I ended up eventually making my own holsters, and found that a properly designed (for the gun AND individual) OWB holster can easily hide a full sized pistol with proper clothing. I live in Alabama, and all I wear other the gun is a Hawaiian style button-up shirt or sometimes even a T-shirt. Hiding a compact only gets easier.

When looking for an OWB holster, you need to see how high the gun rides on your waist. Since you carry a compact, it's not as critical, but you still need to make sure the barrel will not sink below the hem of your shirt. Try looking at belt loop / belt slot attaching holsters. You will want one that pulls the gun into your side, but doesn't bury the grip into your waist either. The paddle holsters you see in stores don't cut it, and aren't really meant for concealment. They add space between the grip and your body, which is great for drawing outside of concealment, but is next to impossible for many people to even remotely conceal.

The $50 criteria is the next hurdle. I take it this is your first gun and also your first holsters. Why spend $700+ on a firearm (I include break-in ammo in that price) just to go cheap on your holster. Would you buy used tires for a sports-car? 99% of the time you will be using the holster, not the gun. Only while at the range or in the extremely rare defensive scenario will you actually be using (aiming) the gun. That being said, $50 can be doable for a simple OWB holster, but you're going to have to do some shopping around to find a good one.

As I mentioned, I am a new holster maker, and can help you out if you can't find one that you're happy with in stores, but I would still shop around locally to see if there is one in a store that you like and can use.
    -Ben

Coriolis: To clarify, I am not looking to conceal with my OWB. My range does not allow holster work, they will however allow holstering the handgun while reloading magazines. This holster will not be used for holster work.

TM

PS not interested in your PM.
    PSS. I have a very nice holster on order.

I like paddle holsters. Galco & Bladetech make nice ones

Galco's are generally leather, and very good looking holsters. And very good quality.

Bladetechs look more tactical, and not as pleasing to the eye as Galco leather. HOWEVER, they are very well designed, and functional.

The Bladetechs are also modular. So you can buy an OWB holster for your weapon, and with various attachments, have a paddle holster, belt holster, etc.

For what it's worth, this is what I carry my M&P9c in....IWB and OWB.....from TT Gunleather! Both are extremely well made and comfortable!

image.jpg
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Panther Concealment Custom Kydex Holsters and Knife Sheaths
    My only holster, serves me well with a FS 40 and I'm concealed all the time.
    Misses the $50 limit by $5 but well worth it.
    Criminals don't register guns.
    I carry a gun because a policeman is to heavy.
    M&P 40 FS
    M&P 40c
    S&W 638
    Ruger Security Six

Raven Concealment Phantom - best of both worlds and worth every penny. I have many for all of my guns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by ginzo View Post
    Panther Concealment Custom Kydex Holsters and Knife Sheaths
    My only holster, serves me well with a FS 40 and I'm concealed all the time.
    Misses the $50 limit by $5 but well worth it.
    +1 for Panther. When it comes to OWB Panther is the way to go.
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Blackdog Concealment. Shipped to my house for $55

Links