Sig Sauer Holster Recommendations

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer Holster Recommendations within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With Sig Sauers being in a weight class of their own (literally, my 229 weighs 2 lbs empty), I was looking for quality holster options ...

Thread: Sig Sauer Holster Recommendations

Sig Sauer Holster Recommendations

With Sig Sauers being in a weight class of their own (literally, my 229 weighs 2 lbs empty), I was looking for quality holster options from fellow owners. I had an earlier post I was trying to move, but it kinda died off. My Sig is a P229 w/ rail and TLR-1 HL mounted light. Looking IWB and pretty deep to help cover the size. So far ones that have caught my eye are Panther Concealment and then SHTF ACE-1 holster. Any advice and knowledge is welcome.

Here's the new beauty

Sig P229.jpg

-Kyle

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I have found with the Sig P229 being a thicker gun, I like a very thin holster to offset as much of the chubbiness as possible. Kydex allows for a thinner holster than leather and I carry my P229 in an AIWB rig by Garrett Industries called the Slim and an OWB by Per-Sec which is just a Kydex pancake design that is made by everyone who makes Kydex OWB's. I own a High Noon Down Under in leather as well, but since moving to AIWB many years ago it doesn't see much time.

VIP Member
    I carried a P228 in a Canute from UBG holsters for several years. Highly recommended. UBG Holsters
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I use an MTAC for my P229. It doesn't work for the GSR 1911 because the Sig 1911s are not standard. I also use a Carry-Loc for OWB. Those are the two best I have found. It may take a drawer of misfits until you find the one you like.

I have the "box of holsters" for my p229r, including Galco, Blackhawk and others. The MTAC ended that, it rides low and tight and very comfortable. I wear it all day everyday and love it. My son liked the first one I bought so much he never gave it back. The MTAC is Schuzthund 3 of holsters!

Lead Moderator
    The holster is only part 1, don't forget a good gun belt.

I have a SIG 239 and when I can carry I use a Beltman belt with one of Rocky's Black Ops holsters.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Ok so now I'm looking at the 1.5" Armour Belt and then the MTAC and SHTF Ace-1 holsters. Any of the MTAC users have a picture of the setup being worn? I'm wondering where it rides at height wise.

VIP Member
    I have found that this one works great for big, heavy guns:
    Ohio Special IWB - MidWorld Holster
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I have found that this one works great for big, heavy guns:
    Ohio Special IWB - MidWorld Holster
    I've got that for my M&P40 Mike, but I find it just a slight uncomfortable in prolonged periods in the car. Looking to broaden the collection.

Looks like MTAC is a no go. Got this email back when I inquired into having a holster for a weapon mounted light.

"Good Afternoon Mr. Garcia,

Current production time is 2 business days. Currently we only produce our CTAC and Belt holster for Glock with lights. So I would not have a holster that would accommodate the Sig with a light attached."

And apparently neither does SHTF...

Well this is narrowing it down!
    Last edited by GSDSchutzhund; September 4th, 2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: update

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Dale Fricke will build anything his customers want into a Kydex rig. I believe his Archangel is offered for Sig pistols now as well.

I'm looking at the UGB Striker right now. I asked the maker if he would make one with a light attachment. Waiting for a response

Links