Galco vs Don Hume

This is a discussion on Galco vs Don Hume within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently use a Ruger LCP 380 for my summer carry in my front pocket. With fall/winter getting close, I would like to start carrying ...

Thread: Galco vs Don Hume

Galco vs Don Hume

I currently use a Ruger LCP 380 for my summer carry in my front pocket. With fall/winter getting close, I would like to start carrying my XD9 4". I have a Crossbreed Supertuck but I would also like to try a owb holster. I have narrowed it down to Galco Concealable belt holster and Don Hume 721 OT. When I will be using the owb, I will probably have a hoddie, vest, or long that has longer tails. Between those 2 holsters, which one is the thinnest leather or stay closer to the body? I have searched high and low and can't seem to find any answer. THANKS!!!!

2. Remove Ads

I've used a Galco Concealable for years for a Glock 19 and a Glock 36. It seems to be thinner than other Galco models I own, but not so thin as to be sloppy. I've had it for well over a decade, and it is holding up well.

I think the overall shape makes it feel less noticeable, and if you really want in drawn in tight, run the belt through the loops and in front of the hoster, instead of behind the holster. This may require a larger belt.

Mark H.

Quote Originally Posted by justinxd View Post
    I currently use a Ruger LCP 380 for my summer carry in my front pocket. With fall/winter getting close, I would like to start carrying my XD9 4". I have a Crossbreed Supertuck but I would also like to try a owb holster. I have narrowed it down to Galco Concealable belt holster and Don Hume 721 OT. When I will be using the owb, I will probably have a hoddie, vest, or long that has longer tails. Between those 2 holsters, which one is the thinnest leather or stay closer to the body? I have searched high and low and can't seem to find any answer. THANKS!!!!
    That's funny, I am in nearly the exact same predictament. Only difference is I carry a Taurus TCP in the summer. I was very tempted to go the Galco Concealable route for the XD, but in the end I decided to try a less expensive option and ordered a Bianchi Model 58 PI. It should be here by Friday, so I'll know then whether it was a good decision or not.

If you think you might like to buy from Don Hume I suggest you call them to see if your item is in stock. I ordered a left handed owb for an SP101 and it took 10 months to get it. Granted it's for a lefty, but 10 months?

Quote Originally Posted by dgunnut View Post
    That's funny, I am in nearly the exact same predictament. Only difference is I carry a Taurus TCP in the summer. I was very tempted to go the Galco Concealable route for the XD, but in the end I decided to try a less expensive option and ordered a Bianchi Model 58 PI. It should be here by Friday, so I'll know then whether it was a good decision or not.
    That one looks nice as well. Very thin and compact. Where did you order it from? How much? keep me posted how it works for you.

Metalman, I actually found several on ebay for 45 so I would probably do that route to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by justinxd View Post
    That one looks nice as well. Very thin and compact. Where did you order it from? How much? keep me posted how it works for you.

Metalman, I actually found several on ebay for 45 so I would probably do that route to get it.
    I ordered the 58 from amazon, I think it was around$45 shipped.

I'd go with Galco, mine have been thin & sturdy for many years. Way comfortable for IWB carry. I had an XD9 4 in, too, but at a diff time.
    Seems like they'd go together well. I know I would NOT want an OWB carry holster when I go to town.

I have the Bianchi PI for my 3" 1911. Holds the gun pretty tight to the body, but in my opinion the cant is too aggressive. I would get the remedy (57 I think) if I had to do it again.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Just be aware that the Galco Concealable is flat on the side close to your body for comfort. However, it also means that the whole width of the gun protrudes from your side. If you are like me with some love handles, a pancake type OWB holster allows much of the gun to melt into our love handles. With the Concealable that does not happen because the side against my side is flat rather than contoured to the gun. I noticed a difference between the Concealable (which I tried with two different guns) and a regular holster that bulges on both sides of the gun. I guess that is the main difference. The Concealable only bulges on one side while others bulge on two allowing the gun to melt into your side unless you are skinny and have nothing for the gun to melt into. :)

Right now, I just use any cheap pancake style holster that had the FBI cant and is well made. I am talking about $40-$60 holsters that are made by guys who are not as famous as others. They sell on their own websites, ebay or Amazon. Surprisingly, I often find these holsters to be more comfortable than the $100+ ones I used to buy.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Of the like models that both companies make, and I have seen, they look to be the same. Don Hume will be cheaper. Galco does however offer several holster models that Don Hume does not. If you go the Hume route, I usually get mine from here:
    Gun Holsters and Shooting Accessories at Discounted Prices
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I have the DeSantis for a 1911. I got it specifically for a 2-day training course, in which there were probably a couple of hundred draws and re-holsters. My only problem with this holster is that the sweat shield did not maintain its stiffness (at least to the extent I wanted) after the first day, and it tended to lean over so it interfered with the muzzle of the gun when I re-holstered. My love handle may have contributed to the situation, as possibly did the hot, sweaty weather. Thus I wouldn't recommend this piece for intense training or competition, but for more normal, less demanding use it should be fine.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links