1911's and how you carry 'em

This is a discussion on 1911's and how you carry 'em within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Its no secret I love my Colt. Like everyone here who has carried for years and years, I have gone thru lots of holsters, and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: 1911's and how you carry 'em

Its no secret I love my Colt. Like everyone here who has carried for years and years, I have gone thru lots of holsters, and have over time settled on several to fulfill various roles. Here are two of my favorites. They both are OWB, and carry the 5 inch Gov model very close to the body.

But the kicker and surprise to me and many that know me as a leather type of guy, is, that one of them is a kydex style holster. I didn't want to like it, but I cant help it. Its a very minimalist style with great retention, and carrys the gun close to the body, and provides excellent speed of draw, and does not let you feel the weight of the steel gun. It was given to me by a friend from Texas, and it bears no makers ID. I sure would like to know who made it, because they did a great job. And, surprisingly to me, does not seem to wear the finish on the gun.

The other is a Safariland, made from leather and I believe some other material bonded together. Once again, this a very comfortable holster that conceals really, really well. I fan hide the full size gun by wearing a t shirt and pull over polo shirt, because it fits the gun so well and lays flat. It also rides slightly higher than the kydex. I also like the way it snaps on and off .

Both are seen worn with an old Bianchi reversible belt that I have used for about 20 years. I have a better, thicker belt, but the old Bianchi still works well.
    Feel free to post your favorite 1911 carry holsters.
    OD*, QKShooter, wmhawth and 6 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

photo.JPGNice thread starter glockman10mm, love all the 1911 talk lately. This is my Kimber Ultra Raptor II in Dale Fricke Archangel, with matching mag pouch. All NY legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalgunner View Post
    photo.JPGNice thread starter glockman10mm, love all the 1911 talk lately. This is my Kimber Ultra Raptor II in Dale Fricke Archangel, with matching mag pouch. All NY legal.
    That's a neat set up! I have experimented with AIWB and the Glock. How well does that Archangel protect the gun from sweat, and how is it on the finish?
    Seems the best way to conceal a large gun on a hot summer day.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

OD*
    OWB favorites;

IWB favorites;
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    That's a neat set up! I have experimented with AIWB and the Glock. How well does that Archangel protect the gun from sweat, and how is it on the finish?
    Seems the best way to conceal a large gun on a hot summer day.
    I have never carried any other way, just don't feel comfortable with it on my hip. I think it is easy on the finish, but the SS is an advantage for wear I think. As far as sweat goes I took a hike up in the Adirondacks on Monday 6.5-7 miles round trip approx, 2000' up, I was soaked pistol was dry surprisingly, quick wipe with silicone cloth to be safe.

Take Care

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    OWB favorites;

IWB favorites;
    Very Nice Collection

Mine is a stainless Colt Combat Commander Left Hand Leather OWB 20 degree cant with Wilson 47D 8 round mags in a double mag pouch
    glockman10mm and Aceoky like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalgunner View Post
    Very Nice Collection
    Thank you, Sir.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I've got a bunch of holsters for my 1911, but I've got one of these on order from Tucker and believe it will be my primary rig once it arrives:

EDCs: Ed Brown Kobra Carry 1911, HK P2000SK .40
    BUGs: Sig Sauer P938, Ruger LCP
    Belts: Armour | Holsters: Tucker, Sparks, Comp-Tac
    ____
    Former LEO and USAF Security Forces

gm10mm,
    good lookin' cold blued steel and wood.
    That kydex rig, despite being kydex, seems as classic and classy as leather. Maybe due to its simplistic design.

Not a bad looking pistol or rig in the bunch!

My daughter totes my old Kimber Classic GoldMatch (preII), in either an old Galco Askins Avenger, or a Brommeland MaxCon VI.

dan
    glockman10mm likes this.

I see that there are a couple of folks here that like the classic Askins Avenger style holster.

Great pics guys!

Dan (OD*), I notice you have your stainless pieces paired with the IWB holsters. That makes sense.
    OD* and Aceoky like this.

QKShooter, OD*, Aceoky and 2 others like this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Tmoore912, who makes those holsters?

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Tmoore912, who makes those holsters?
    Top to bottom is a Milt Sparks Summer Special II, MS VM2, and the last two are Dale Fricke Archangel appendix holster.

Mag pouch is Dale Fricke Horizontal mag pouch.

Leather belts are from A&G Custom Gun Leather out of Gainesville, GA.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

This D.M. Bullard Combat holster and magazine carrier has spoiled me. It is the only one I use for daily carry of one of my government size 1911s now. It still looks new after almost two years of carry and is very comfortable. I went through several holsters before this one.

Last edited by LimaCharlie; September 4th, 2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Post picture
    glockman10mm, OD*, Aceoky and 2 others like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links