Don Hume Users

This is a discussion on Don Hume Users within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone use a Don Hume IWB holster? Looking at the H715 model for appendix iwb. Recommendations? Approx $43 with slide guard. Also looking at the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don Hume Users

Don Hume Users

Anyone use a Don Hume IWB holster? Looking at the H715 model for appendix iwb. Recommendations? Approx $43 with slide guard. Also looking at the Archangel by Dale Fricke........Does anyone have the Archangel with optional clip instead of belt loops? Like the idea of clip for easy on and off. Would be for a Glock 27.

Thanks for any info.........

Sauce
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

...happen to have one for a J on my desk right now...haven't used it because I AIWB and it carries the gun too high to suit me...I'm going to find it a new home(lefty)...
    ...I have another I bought for a P97/P90, and I like it fine...I opened it up and moved the clip up about an inch, making it sit lower in the belt and it pulls the butt in tighter...

... they're made well, molded very snugly, and well worth the little they charge from them...that's Don Hume's reputation...been using them since 1971...

The good fit an retention you want in a holster just is not there. IMHO they are just to generic trying to make holsters that fit multiple guns

...the Don Hume 715 are tightly molded to the gun...only ONE size fits into it...these aren't pouch holsters...they are very snug on the gun...

Just a bit too thick for me.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

VIP Member
    I had a 715 several years ago. It wasn't the worst holster I've ever had, but also wasn't the best. I had occasion to draw from said holster, and the poorly designed clip disengaged from my belt allowing the holster to remain on the pistol through the draw. Luckily it came off easily with a flick of my finger... but was far from ideal.

The archangel is a great holster, but I've never used it with the clips. Don't know what gun you're using- but if TSD makes the Columbian for it, that would be my pick. I just received one and it is fantastic.
    One Source Tactical - Inside the Waistband Holsters
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I use a Don Hume 721ot for carrying my PX4. I find the quality good and the fit is snug. The leather is very good quality and is comfortable. These is not a custom holster but is not very expensive. When shopping for a holster for my G30, I did not buy the H715 because it has 0 cant. I did not want it for appendix carry, but rather 4 o'clock. It just wasn't what I needed. The quality seemed very good and also a nice tight fit for the gun. I think Don Hume holsters are nice quality and a good price.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Good quality for the price, some folks refer to them as 'cookie cutter' holsters because you get what you get and cannot special order them with any variances. They are a good entry level leather holster and will fit the intended gun well. If you want anything special you'll have to move up a notch in maker and price.
    I use a 715 for my semi-autos and they work fine but,... not so much for a snubby, it is short and rides a bit high and the bottom of the holster bites into my ample love handles. It now rests in a THE drawer. I have a 721 for revolvers and it does fine for me.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Good quality for the price, some folks refer to them as 'cookie cutter' holsters because you get what you get and cannot special order them with any variances. They are a good entry level leather holster and will fit the intended gun well. If you want anything special you'll have to move up a notch in maker and price.
    I use a 715 for my semi-autos and they work fine but,... not so much for a snubby, it is short and rides a bit high and the bottom of the holster bites into my ample love handles. It now rests in a THE drawer. I have a 721 for revolvers and it does fine for me.
    If there is an off the shelf holster that meets your requirements, then I think they are a good deal. The 721ot fit my needs (open top, owb & body shield) and is well made, so it was a good buy for me. I'm also ok when it get scratched because it's not expensive. The 715 didn't meet my needs so I went a different route. If you have a custom made holster you can't try it on before you buy it and you might spend a lot of money and find it uncomfortable or just not right. So it's always hit or miss, but the "cookie cutter" holsters can be tried on at a LGS or gun show to give you a better idea if you like it or not.

Not IWB, but I have been using the Hume JIT for my S&W MP9c for a while. It's an OWB, but holds the gun very high and close to the body.
    The issue is I cannot find a Don Hume dealer close, and Don Hume will not do internet sales anymore.

I've got one for an XDSC and it's great at holding the gun in but sucks when you want to reholster.
    After a year or so the leather got nice and broken in and lost a lot of its rigidity.
    I found that the reinforced opening would collapse under the pressure of my belt which made one hand reholstering near impossible.
    I then made the move to the Comp-Tac Infidel and have never looked back.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

I use my 715for a Glock 19 and it is very good - as good as an expensive custom holster I had made. I also use Don Hume for my J frame. Before you spend $$$ - try the Don Hume

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockcoma View Post
    Not IWB, but I have been using the Hume JIT for my S&W MP9c for a while. It's an OWB, but holds the gun very high and close to the body.
    The issue is I cannot find a Don Hume dealer close, and Don Hume will not do internet sales anymore.
    So far, I've bought all my Don Hume holsters here. Don Hume Holsters
    They will order for you anything not shown to be in their stock.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Thanks for all the info. Still kicking it around, researching. Let you know how it comes out.

Sauce

Quote Originally Posted by Sauce View Post
    Anyone use a Don Hume IWB holster? Looking at the H715 model for appendix iwb. Recommendations? Approx $43 with slide guard. Also looking at the Archangel by Dale Fricke........Does anyone have the Archangel with optional clip instead of belt loops? Like the idea of clip for easy on and off. Would be for a Glock 27.

Thanks for any info.........

Sauce
    I am not sure what you are going to carry in the 715 holster but I have one for my LCP when I appendix carry that. It is comfortable and seems sturdy enough and does afford adequate retention for the times I wear it. The LCP is not my EDC weapon. That would be the XDs and that is carried in the waistband at 3:30 in a holster made by Firearmholster.com. Similar to a CBST but lined against the skin with sheepskin. It also has the option of OWB carry by removing the clips and using the belt slots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links