slim 1911 IWB holsters - Page 2

slim 1911 IWB holsters

This is a discussion on slim 1911 IWB holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now for the less winded response. Sorry, Mark, I couldn't resist! If a person was to show up at our shop wearing their usual cover ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Now for the less winded response. Sorry, Mark, I couldn't resist!

If a person was to show up at our shop wearing their usual cover garment and agree to be blindfolded whilst I attach a IWB holster to that person of whatever thickness I choose. I can almost guarantee that person wouldn't be able to tell the difference in comfort or concealment between one that is 8-9 oz vs one that is 5-6 oz just by looking at themselves in the mirror when I got through. Nobody that's serious about concealment is going to wear a cover garment so form fitting that a couple ounce difference in leather thickness is going to make a difference.

Nothing wrong with going with the thinnest holster possible, but the thin vs thinner debate, as it pertains to which conceals better, is way overblown IMO. Somehow, people managed to get by (without being made on a daily basis I might add) wearing Summer Special type holsters which are probably some of the thickest of the genre, for well over 30 years before the current thin rage took hold.

Go thin if it makes you feel more confident, but keep in mind that there are other considerations that play a far more important role in how well the weapon conceals on your person, than the thickness of the holster you choose to use. A thin holster (no matter who makes it) doesn't conceal worth a damn if you don't cover it up properly.

TK, out.
    Second Best is not an option

Good response, Tony; and great point on concealment. You still have to hide the grip, etc.
    Another maker and I were discussing this (he uses the same weight for alomost everything) and he said essentially the same thing. An ounce of leather being 1/64" thick, I doubt most people would be able to tell the difference netween a 6 oz IWB and an 8 oz IWB shoved down their pants.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    Just a heads up. Gary is doing a run of commander size MaxCon Vs in the very near future (I should have mine in about 4 weeks). Get in line now and you won't have to wait as long as some of the guys looking for holsters for other pistols. Of course, they'll be ticked at me for having them wait a little longer.
    Thanks for the heads up. As soon as I know which 1911 I'm ending up with (I got it narrowed down to a 4" Kimber) I'll be giving him a call.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    If you're into Kydex you might want to look at a C-Tac.

I have one for my full size 1911 and it is much thinner than the Blade Tech I used to use and very comfortable.
    Isn't Kydex bad for the finish? I really don't care about the wear on my tupperware guns but when I pick up the 1911, it'll be waaaaaaaay more then any of my plastic toys and while I don't mind the wear and tear as its a tool and it serves its purpose I don't want to unnecessarily wear it out due to not caring for it.

Any holster will wear the finish. Kydex tends to wear in points where the gun contacts the holster while leather will cause more uniform wear. A stainless finish will hold up best in a holster.

I Agree...

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Just my two bits but I don't get too exited about slim, I get exited about comfort and secure carry. The thickness differences (within reason) are negligible when a rig is worn properly with proper clothing. It really doesn't seem to affect concealability that much. But a thin uncomfortable rig isn't going to get worn much. I base my holster choice on comfortable and secure.
    And isn't this where we really want to be? I've had 'thin' that is not as comfortable as 'thicker'...why wouldn't I go with the thicker?
    Let's see, could we be talking a quarter inch...heck, I can lose a lot more space than that during a good meal!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

i also agree as a guy that carries 1911s everyday

the brommeland is worth the wait

having 1 in everysize going back to some of GBs early max conv

you cannot beat the comfort a s/s wilson for 16 hrs give you a good idea of a holster

i currently own many but only carry IWB in a max con

JD

Quote Originally Posted by richardoldfield View Post
    I am not sure of what to recommend. I can tell you a Milt Sparks Summer Special will work. It is the one with the 1911 in it.
    Ken L Null's UNS is another good choice:

Regards, Richard
    i have the UNS. works well with my sa 1911.

i have on order a Sparks watch-six, i've been told this is one of the slimmest holsters out there.

Lead Moderator
    I have found kydex wears about the same as leather, but as said only at contact points. a good gun finish of course shows less wear.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by T. Kanaley View Post
    If a person was to show up at our shop wearing their usual cover garment and agree to be blindfolded whilst I attach a IWB holster to that person of whatever thickness I choose. I can almost guarantee that person wouldn't be able to tell the difference in comfort or concealment between one that is 8-9 oz vs one that is 5-6 oz just by looking at themselves in the mirror when I got through. Nobody that's serious about concealment is going to wear a cover garment so form fitting that a couple ounce difference in leather thickness is going to make a difference.

Nothing wrong with going with the thinnest holster possible, but the thin vs thinner debate, as it pertains to which conceals better, is way overblown IMO. Somehow, people managed to get by (without being made on a daily basis I might add) wearing Summer Special type holsters which are probably some of the thickest of the genre, for well over 30 years before the current thin rage took hold.

Go thin if it makes you feel more confident, but keep in mind that there are other considerations that play a far more important role in how well the weapon conceals on your person, than the thickness of the holster you choose to use. A thin holster (no matter who makes it) doesn't conceal worth a damn if you don't cover it up properly.
    Sound advice that one would be wise to listen too.

I have found over the years that the “thickness” of an IWB holster (and to a greater or lesser extent the position of the belt loops on the holster body) is such a non-issue that searching for the thinnest rig available is basically a waist of time. There are too many other critical factors at work with regards to concealment. One is much better served by simply learning to dress around a rig that works for them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links