Kahr MK9 - IWB/OWB holsters suggestions?

Kahr MK9 - IWB/OWB holsters suggestions?

This is a discussion on Kahr MK9 - IWB/OWB holsters suggestions? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My XDS had holsters galore. Any site I went to BAM they had a holster for my XDS. However my new Kahr MK9 is another ...

Question Kahr MK9 - IWB/OWB holsters suggestions?

My XDS had holsters galore. Any site I went to BAM they had a holster for my XDS. However my new Kahr MK9 is another story. About half of the sites I had bookmarked didn't offer the holster for my Kahr MK9.

Anyways, that's beside the point. Anyone have any suggestions of a nice IWB holster that isn't too thick but very reliable and sturdy? (I own a whitehat maxtuck holster but some have told me that I can find thinner holsters that are just as good and the whitehat was adding too much "girth" to my IWB making it uncomfortable. Not sure if that's true or not. If you care to chime in on it I'd appreciate it.)

What about a OWB holster that carries very close to the body? (I've never had a OWB holster before but I'm a bit afraid of it sticking out too much. I heard they are more comfortable than IWB though.)

Thanks ahead :)

First, there are very few Kahr blue or training guns.

BUT, Kahr is notorious for using nearly identical dimensions on their pistols.

It looks like the MK9 is just an all steel CM9. A full kydex may not work but I imagine an all leather or hybrid would work fine. The OAL is just a touch shorter on the MK9 which is not a big problem. If you can find one to try it out see if that would work.

As for girth, IMO full kydex is very thin, hybrids are a bit thicker, and all leather a bit thicker still. The only way to get a noticeably thinner hybrid would be to get lighter leather on the back, but less than 8 oz leather and you are probably asking for problems. But in all of the above we are talking about decimal points of thickness. The girth of the gun far outweighs the differences in the materials. If you are going to jam a gun in your waist belt, what's a 1/8" going to matter?
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    First, there are very few Kahr blue or training guns.

BUT, Kahr is notorious for using nearly identical dimensions on their pistols.

It looks like the MK9 is just an all steel CM9. A full kydex may not work but I imagine an all leather or hybrid would work fine. The OAL is just a touch shorter on the MK9 which is not a big problem. If you can find one to try it out see if that would work.

As for girth, IMO full kydex is very thin, hybrids are a bit thicker, and all leather a bit thicker still. The only way to get a noticeably thinner hybrid would be to get lighter leather on the back, but less than 8 oz leather and you are probably asking for problems. But in all of the above we are talking about decimal points of thickness. The girth of the gun far outweighs the differences in the materials. If you are going to jam a gun in your waist belt, what's a 1/8" going to matter?
    Hmm.. very true.

So if I get a holster for a CM9/PM9 it should fit my MK9? I remember handling them and seeing that they were very close but I didn't put them together so I don't really remember if their specs were exactly the same.

Double check the specs on the Kahr site. I found at least one maker listing it with the CM and PM models. All the 9mm's are .90" and .40 is .94" on the slide width.

I sell holsters on the side, I'll be asking my buddy at the LGS about it. I do know that the CW, K, P, and T series will fit the same open bottom holster. The slide length is the only real variable there.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

SHTFgear.com. I have their holsters for all of my current guns and a new one on order for my XDM .45 after today. Before I bought SHTF, I had purchased the requisite bin of holsters.....now, I don't even mess around, just order the SHTF with each new gun.

Comp-tac minotaur for Kahr will work inside, Galco F819WC FOR QWB.

I use a Remora for my Kahr PM9 and MK9.

I have a box of holsters that I've tried and don't like nearly as much (Blade-Tech S.O.B., CrossBreed MiniTuck, etc.).
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I have been carrying my MK9 daily for a while now and most often carry with a Crossbreed Mini Tuck holster. I actually got the holster for a K40 but heated it up a bit and bent it to fit the MK9 better. With it all in place the gun is real secure, not much different than the K. If I was to order a specific holster it would be for the MK9 though - exact fit, but it won't offer quite the flexibility for my uses. I have another crossbreed holster (supertuck deluxe) and they are all very comfortable - I wear them all day. When it gets cold I'll probably switch back to my M&P40c and Desantis speed scabbord OWB for under my coat carry, for now the MK9 is perfect. Great choice of weapon and reliable - more so than the polymer variants.

Over Waistline Holsters|OWB|Outer-Waist|Large Gun|Springfield Armory|Bear Creek Holster, Texas

Bear Creek didn't list the MK9 but, through a series of emails, we thought the PM9 holster would work. It did indeed work and now the MK9 is listed on his site. The two guns have no significant differences in outside dimensions so any vendor's PM or CM9 holster should work.

I do recommend Bear Creek though; good work, great price and quick delivery.
    Last edited by CPO 15; September 16th, 2013 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Brain stone

I ordered a holster for my CM9 from Stoner holsters and it was stamped "MK9". It fit perfectly.

I use the same holsters for my PM9 and MK9 all the time. +1 on bear creek! I love their holsters!

Check out my recent thread about my EDC holsters for my Kahr CM40. The mk, pm, and cm lines are pretty close to the same size and specs.
    Always Carry, Never Tell. Stay Safe. EDC .40 S&W, BUG .380 ACP, HD .40 S&W , 5.56 and 12GA, Range Toys .357Mag , .22LR

Links