Ordering another belt... Leather options, comfort?

This is a discussion on Ordering another belt... Leather options, comfort? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For reference, my EDC system is nearly always a Crossbreed holster and Crossbreed belt. I liked the belt at first, but now (maybe around 6 ...

Thread: Ordering another belt... Leather options, comfort?

Ordering another belt... Leather options, comfort?

For reference, my EDC system is nearly always a Crossbreed holster and Crossbreed belt. I liked the belt at first, but now (maybe around 6 months or so) is soft and it appears to have stretched some.

I saw a link someone posted to A Better Belt USA and liked their style of belt and buckle (same style buckle as my Crossbreed and I really like it).

Based on my Crossbreed belt being "soft" I ordered one of their rough rider belts with a full stiffener, double stitched, and double layer bull hide, with a sizing modification over my current crossbreed for better use of the holes.

Those that have stiff belts what comments can you offer? I went back and looked at Crossbreed's materials and they use double layer top grain cow hide. If you look at the page on A Better Belt USA's site that shows the different leathers - cow hide is soft and floppy comparatively. Am I going to regret the double bull hide + stiffener combo? I'd rather have the belt too stiff at first. What I don't want is 6 months from now thinking I screwed up like I did with the Crossbreed. If I could get the belt to wear in to what the Crossbreed was the day I got it (and stay that way) I'd be a happy camper.

2. Remove Ads

Well that was interesting... As I was going back over all the options Mike over at A Better Belt USA called after reading through my comments in the order. Now that's customer service!

I think we got it squared away. I opted to leave the order as-is, minus a bump again in the sizing. No matter how the stiffness comes out the belt will "relax" some, and the stiffener isn't a huge bump in the stiffness, still noticeable, and very thin. I weighed the difference between the added stiffness vs. the extra material in there to share the load/possible stretching with the leather (though Mike said it would hold up very well without) and figured I'd try it. I wouldn't mind having a few more choices in the collection anyway.

Are you "stuck" on leather? I ask because I got myself a Galco Instructor belt in web fabric. Infinitely adjustable, velcro on the "tail" portion to stick it to the belt so it doesn't flop around, stiff as you'd ever need but only in the business area and not by the buckle or front edge so it is comfortable. I think I could tow a car with it so it's strong and I now use it almost exclusively.

My favorite feature is its infinite adjustment. Put it on, adjust (no holes to limit your adjustment) down by 1/4 inch if you want and it is stiff, comfortable, tough, well made and I really, really love it for $50. Can't beat it with a stick!
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

I have a belt similar from Uncle Mikes, I think... It is a nice belt from a utility perspective, but I can't wear it much. I need a leather belt for dress.

Ares Ranger that is if your not committed to leather. I love mine.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

Links