Help a newb with a IWB conundrum

Help a newb with a IWB conundrum

This is a discussion on Help a newb with a IWB conundrum within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey fellas and Chicas; I received my CCW license in April of this year, after moving from oppressive NJ to free NH. I took a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Help a newb with a IWB conundrum

Question Help a newb with a IWB conundrum

Hey fellas and Chicas;

I received my CCW license in April of this year, after moving from oppressive NJ to free NH.

I took a CCW course a few years back, so I completely understand the whole liability end of it.
    I've been trying a few different firearms as far as carry choices, mainly OWB, in either leather or better kydex.
    Walther 99 [40] in a Don Hume Jit.
    Glock 19/23 in a Littlefeather belt holster, Bianchi #85, Safariland 6004 paddle, and even a Serpa. Did not trust the Serpa.
    Smith M&P9c in a Jit also.
    Kimber CDP II in a Blade tech.
    All of these guns are approximately the same length, same width, and for the most part, the same weight loaded. The Kimber is obviously thinner than the rest.

While they were very secure feeling, I felt they printed under summer garb, and chose to try an IWB option. I purchased a Nick Mathews IWB holter, and went off with the Kimber. Absolutely awful experience for me. The gun felt as if it was 900lbs.
    So I went to the opposite end of the spectrum, feeling that the 'normal' IWB' was too thick in the waistband, and purchased two Dale Fricke Zacceaus holsters, one for the Walther, and one to fit the Glocks.
    They work as designed, and while they secure the condition one trigger, they do not hold the firearms that secure. It's basically, essentially a 'safe' Mexican carry.
    Not wanting to commit to a better holster until I was sure I wanted a specific one, I purchased a Galco TUC, for the S&W MP9c. It holds the gun secure, and does not move on the belt line, and protects the trigger well in condition one. Today I went to the range wearing it, and decided to shoot the M&P, and had the difficult time reholstering after my range time. It works well, but what a PITA to reholster. I borrowed a Crossbreed to try out from a buddy, and it felt H U G E!!!!!!!!!!

So I am at a loss as whether to stay with leather, or try kydex IWB.

I'm feeling that thin kydex will:

hold the weapon securely.
    feel thin enough to not have that bulky lump.
    be stiff enough to facilitate reholstering.

So please, help me out. First, as a newb, what am I doing wrong, and what right?
    Is leather, of a better quality the way to go, or is Kydex easier?

Thanks in advance.

Chris
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    All of my OWB holsters are leather. I haven't seen a Kydex one come with the kind of retention I require when carrying OWB.

All of my IWB holsters are hybrids, leather and Kydex, either Galco, Crossbreed or SHTF. I don't have problems reholstering when carrying IWB.....

In NH OC is perfectly fine so I would go with what works the best for You....
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    a well made leather holster will hug the gun just as snugly and stay open without the noise of kydex but if you want the click feeling then go with kydex. for IWB leather will be much more comfortable. with all that money spent on mediocre holsters you cloud of already bought a nice one.

High Noon Holsters, Gun Holsters and Concealment Holsters

Milt Sparks Holsters

TT GunLeather High Quality Leather Gun Holsters

Rosen Product Line

Brigade Custom Holsters | Leather Holsters; Including Gun Holsters; Concealed Carry Holsters, Shoulder Holsters and Western Holsters

Gun Holsters | Kramer Leather

Del Fatti Leather
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Welcome,
    It's hard to answer that question. Everyone going to have a different opinion. Mine for a iwb is Comp-Tac's MTAC.
    Good Luck.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Its also entirely possible that you will always hate IWB, no matter what holster you get. I admit, I didnt try that many IWB holsters, but I did try two good models.

I hated them. That was the end of me and IWB, and Im happy with whatever other methods I employ, for a variety of dress & situations.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Hybrid kydex/leather holsters have worked really well for me. Give Foxx holsters a try. I absolutely swear by mine and it's been worn for well over 6+ months of continuous carry.

www.foxxholsters.com

gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I have had the Blade Tech classic IWB holster for several years and found it to be mostly comfortable - although if you are sitting in a very slouched position it can poke you in the side. With 2 adjustment screws you have exactly the tension you want.

Unfortunately they quit making that model and switched to the Nano which is made of thinner kydex and has only one tension screw. It still has Adjustable Cant which is good. Here is is if you want to look it over:

Blade-Tech Nano IWB Holster

I also use a soft suede (don't think about re-holstering in a hurry) IWB and a Remora which is totally comfortable but also more difficult to reholster. Remora makes a reinforced top for easy reholstering but they stress that it will not be as concealed.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

When you first start to carry, whatever you do, IWB/OWB is going to feel like you're trying to conceal a watermelon. It's going to feel heavy. It's going to feel bulky. It's going to feel like you're printing ad enough the guy 3 aisles over can tell.

Just resist the urge to touch it or adjust your pants all the time. Focus on finding something comfortable. When you find something you don't like, be very specific in understanding what you don't like. For instance, why specifically was it hard to reholster?

Don't forget to do your research on belts too. I've got more than one type of holster I'm comfortable with, but only one gunbelt that is my favorite.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Glockcoma: You are possibly missing one critical issue--a good quality gunbelt. A quality gunbelt will make a world of difference. If you want traditional leather, try here: http://www.thebeltman.net/

Or you can go with a heavy nylon rigger style belt.

Whatever you do, before you spend any money on more holsters, get a quality gun belt.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Get yourself a good quality gun belt and a MaxTuck from White Hat Holsters White Hat Holsters... gun gear for the GOOD guys!

Their interchangeable kydex system will enable you to switch the kydex in about 2 minutes when you want to change your carry gun...You'll have one holster for all your handguns.

MaxTuck Black Cowhide-172.jpg
    Ianthin and gatorbait51 like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Seconding the good Chaplain, get a good belt, then give the holsters another try, you can use a gunbelt with any gun, IWB or OWB, you can only use a holster with one.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

For the 1911, a Milt Sparks Summer Special is a 'minimalist' design that takes care of business without requiring half an acre of real estate on your body. Brownell's usually has them in stock.

For OWB, I second the BladeTech line if Kydex is OK with you. My choices in leather tend toward custom makers and delivery will be 6 months out.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Glockcoma: You are possibly missing one critical issue--a good quality gunbelt. A quality gunbelt will make a world of difference. If you want traditional leather, try here: http://www.thebeltman.net/

Whatever you do, before you spend any money on more holsters, get a quality gun belt.
    Not to hijack, but since it was brought up...I'm a little ignorant about gun belts, so maybe you can help me (us?) out. What is special about a gun belt and why does it make a difference? I realize they are stiffer/thicker, but that's all I can see. ?

Quote Originally Posted by F350_6 View Post
    When you first start to carry, whatever you do, IWB/OWB is going to feel like you're trying to conceal a watermelon. It's going to feel heavy. It's going to feel bulky. It's going to feel like you're printing ad enough the guy 3 aisles over can tell.

Just resist the urge to touch it or adjust your pants all the time. Focus on finding something comfortable. When you find something you don't like, be very specific in understanding what you don't like. For instance, why specifically was it hard to reholster?

Don't forget to do your research on belts too. I've got more than one type of holster I'm comfortable with, but only one gunbelt that is my favorite.
    The issue with the reholstering was the material within the holster; the mouth is stiffened to keep it open, but the finish inside holds the firearm from complete insertion.

This is the holster I speak of, except for M&P, and lefty
    Galco Tuck-N-Go Inside the Waistband Holster Right Hand Glock 26 27 33

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Glockcoma: You are possibly missing one critical issue--a good quality gunbelt. A quality gunbelt will make a world of difference. If you want traditional leather, try here: Gun Belts by The Belt Man

I've got the belt down;
    I'm using a wilderness system 1.5" triple stitch. Belt is not the issue.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockcoma View Post
    The issue with the reholstering was the material within the holster; the mouth is stiffened to keep it open, but the finish inside holds the firearm from complete insertion.

This is the holster I speak of, except for M&P, and lefty
    Galco Tuck-N-Go Inside the Waistband Holster Right Hand Glock 26 27 33
    Leather IWB holsters are nice, and the reinforced mouth helps, but you've got to keep them high above the waistband or use two hands to reholster. Kydex is much easier to holster one handed. A nice hybrid offers the comfort of a leather backing with a kydex shell to hold the pistol.

Several good brands have been mentioned here already, and there are several more. I have been happier when ordering direct from a smaller holster manufacturer than through a large retail establishment.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links