Quickest Access Question

This is a discussion on Quickest Access Question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can any of you chime in regarding the type of concealed holsters/carry methods that allow quickest access to the firearm? If it matters, I have ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By DetChris
  • 1 Post By AzQkr

Thread: Quickest Access Question

Quickest Access Question

Can any of you chime in regarding the type of concealed holsters/carry methods that allow quickest access to the firearm? If it matters, I have a Glock 19.

2. Remove Ads

Appendix carry provides one of the fastest draws. But I've also found that AIWB doesn't work for everyone because depending on body shape it can be very uncomfortable. I personally can't conceal or comfortably carry as well AIWB so I stick with 3.30 IWB. But the appendix carry allows at least a full 1 second advantage over the 3.30 position. YMMV.
    Chesafreak and BadgerJ like this.

Sponsor
    Depends on experience and skills you have. As detchris mentioned, appendix iwb allows for less shoulder/arm articulation, thus making for less time to access. I don't use aiwb for anything but a J frame 5 shooter as it's too damned uncomfortable but did move any of my sd firearms there if violence may be the order that night based on circumstances and/or keeping it from being bumped and thus discovered.

I normally edc at 3 O'clock [ right handed shooter ]. Timed draws to first shot from concealed average 1.1 seconds with a lot of practice over a few decades. Some of the fastest men on the draw carried strong side and times were less than .50 seconds to first shot. That suggests it's not so much location, but practice and skills acquired over lots of draw stroke training.

Pick a position to carry that's comfortable for you, and practice, practice, and practice some more.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I carry my LC9 And Glock 23 appendix carry. I have tried every other postion from appendix to 6:00 and appendix is the fastest draw. Like others have said above, being able to carry appendix depends on body shape.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Depends on experience and skills you have. As detchris mentioned, appendix iwb allows for less shoulder/arm articulation, thus making for less time to access. I don't use aiwb for anything but a J frame 5 shooter as it's too damned uncomfortable but did move any of my sd firearms there if violence may be the order that night based on circumstances and/or keeping it from being bumped and thus discovered.

I normally edc at 3 O'clock [ right handed shooter ]. Timed draws to first shot from concealed average 1.1 seconds with a lot of practice over a few decades. Some of the fastest men on the draw carried strong side and times were less than .50 seconds to first shot. That suggests it's not so much location, but practice and skills acquired over lots of draw stroke training.

Pick a position to carry that's comfortable for you, and practice, practice, and practice some more.
    .5 seconds is crazy impressive! That from a OWB OC holster or from under a concealment garment? Short of ripping my shirts off like the hulk, just getting past the garment is a whole second.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    .5 seconds is crazy impressive! That from a OWB OC holster or from under a concealment garment? Short of ripping my shirts off like the hulk, just getting past the garment is a whole second.
    Bill Jordans timed draws were .40 seconds from duty holster, same with federal agent Jelly Bryce- .40 second draws to first shot on threat [ search that name here for a read on his feats on the streets ]. Col Askins had about the same draw speed, not sure if I ever saw he had been timed, but he was snake strike fast like the two previously mentioned.

I've been timed with a kydex owb and glock 17 at .43 fastest but normally .46 to first shot on threat. OWB from concealed t shirt at 1.1 seconds, fastest .88 seconds. I've trained to draw with speed [ using the scoop draw like the above real world gunmen ] since 77 when I started working the streets. I wear at 3 O clock, no cant to the holsters.

BTW, the way I clear the garment is one handed, the shooting hand clearing and accessing the firearm in one fluid motion as the hand comes from below the grip. Training others in this clear and draw from concealed in the course of fire for the last several years.

Consequently, aiwb is not as fast for me as I've not trained in that position but very little. Most, as you suggested will likely be faster at that position due to less articulation needed to access it.
    DetChris likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Bill Jordans timed draws were .40 seconds from duty holster, same with federal agent Jelly Bryce- .40 second draws to first shot on threat [ search that name here for a read on his feats on the streets ]. Col Askins had about the same draw speed, not sure if I ever saw he had been timed, but he was snake strike fast like the two previously mentioned.

I've been timed with a kydex owb and glock 17 at .43 fastest but normally .46 to first shot on threat. OWB from concealed t shirt at 1.1 seconds, fastest .88 seconds. I've trained to draw with speed [ using the scoop draw like the above real world gunmen ] since 77 when I started working the streets. I wear at 3 O clock, no cant to the holsters.

BTW, the way I clear the garment is one handed, the shooting hand clearing and accessing the firearm in one fluid motion as the hand comes from below the grip. Training others in this clear and draw from concealed in the course of fire for the last several years.

Consequently, aiwb is not as fast for me as I've not trained in that position but very little. Most, as you suggested will likely be faster at that position due to less articulation needed to access it.
    Very impressive! You've set a bar for me to aspire to. I'm ordering a SIRT laser training pistol to train dry firing and drawing. I have a nice lofty bogey to aim for now!

I should have asked: timed from a shot timer (i.e. Which adds reaction time) or purely from start of draw?

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    For me with a G-19, a OWB Safariland pancake is about as good as it gets for speed. YMMV.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I prefer 2:30-3:00 OWB, that's just where I can reach the easiest. Upon draw you are immediately facing the right direction in a self defense situation. Works great with jackets/sweatshirts in the fall/winter. Summer is IWB appendix carry for better concealment when a jacket isn't practical.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    I should have asked: timed from a shot timer (i.e. Which adds reaction time) or purely from start of draw?
    From the buzzer, hand just off the gun [ not touching it ]. Normal reaction times are .25 seconds for fighter pilot in his prime [ late 20's-mid 30's ]. I would guess my reaction time is upwards of that by a little, but it could be at .25 as well [ I've always had fast hands ]. We guessed my actual physical time to draw and fire at .18-.20 seconds on my best times [ less if you believe the reaction time is longer than .25 seconds ].

I'm 63 retired and live in Gulf Coast TX. I opted for a 3Speed Holster because of lifestyle choices (I like wearing shorts and jeans and tees ) I carry at 2:00- 2:30 because of limited arm mobility issues.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

Links