Looking for a belt? A Better Belt USA - and don't shy away from a stiffiner option

This is a discussion on Looking for a belt? A Better Belt USA - and don't shy away from a stiffiner option within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got my order in from A Better Belt USA and figured I'd post up some first impressions. A couple notes - based on ...

Thread: Looking for a belt? A Better Belt USA - and don't shy away from a stiffiner option

Looking for a belt? A Better Belt USA - and don't shy away from a stiffiner option

I just got my order in from A Better Belt USA and figured I'd post up some first impressions.

A couple notes - based on the Crossbreed belt I have been wearing I wanted to position the holes on the new belt higher up. So I essentially chopped 4" off the length with the new one. That seems to have worked perfectly.

That also having been said, I ordered a 1.5" belt, double bull hide, and with an added stiffener. If you read the notes on the site they do caution against the stiffener with less than a 40" belt in that it is "overkill". However, I think it is a great option. The belt is quite stiff right now, which I would expect. I am really curious to see how the belt feels in another six months (less than that is what it took my Crossbreed belt to nearly wear out). I am pretty confident in the construction of this belt that it will hold up well. It certainly won't stretch much, if any.

I also ordered a "rough rider" series belt. This came out AWESOME! It is not as rough as I imagined, they finished it a bit (sealed it), but left the cut ends of the leather exposed as opposed to burnishing. All in all I am very pleased with it.

Now that I got my EDC belt squared away I am going to work on matching up my dress shoes. I haven't quite figured out if I want to go 1" or 1.25". If I go 1.25" I can get the standard option for a velcro liner. I haven't asked about the 1" and velcro yet, I don't know that it will really matter = that will leave a lot of the V clips exposed anyway. My 1.25" Crossbreed already does, a 1" belt is 1/4" less cover. Either way, they will be the same construction - double bull hide and kydex stiffener, no two ways about it. I think I may go down to 3/4" holes on the dress belts though - finer adjustment options.

Again, I will have to see how the new belt wears in over time. So far it seems pretty good. If you have experience with one of their (A Better Belt USA) belts, with the same double bull hide and stiffener construction, out past a few months of EDC I would be curious to see what your thoughts are - what size belt (width - 1.25, 1.5, 1.75"?), what gun, what holster (standard or V clips?), etc?

2. Remove Ads

Excellent choice with A Better Belt USA. Had mine for about 6 months and it is still holding up well and looks like new. I went with 1.5" as it seems to be a standard with pant loops and holsters. They put out a quality product.

A quick 3 week update -

This belt has worn in just fine and feels great. The belt has molded well and retains its shape when I take it off (wants to spring back). One note I have found is I wear the belt one hole looser than where I wore my other one - the belt is VERY supportive and doesn't need much tension. Though, that having been said - I have to be careful of how my larger pistol rides. It seems to "lean" out further with the looser belt. I could knock the belt down another hole but it really is way too tight and uncomfortable so I just leave it. Wearing thicker pants/insulation now that it got cold here helps the "slack". I'm sure it isn't very noticeable, just the way the holster and pistol feel.

I am hoping the belt holds up like this for a few years. If it makes it past 4-5 months I don't think I'll have any issues with it like my old one - weaker leather/no stiffener.

Mike is a pleasure to deal with over at A Better Belt USA too. I'm ordering 3 more belts and working a few details out. All are dual layer bull hide with stiffiners - 2x 1" (brown, black), and another 1.5" just like the one I have but black and sized a hair different.

Links