Andrews Custom Leather Holster: Mac Daniel II crossdraw for G30 Good and Bad

This is a discussion on Andrews Custom Leather Holster: Mac Daniel II crossdraw for G30 Good and Bad within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife just received my first Andrews Custom Leather Holster, Mac Daniel II Crossdraw for my Glock 30. According to my Wife, the quality is ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rednichols

Thread: Andrews Custom Leather Holster: Mac Daniel II crossdraw for G30 Good and Bad

Andrews Custom Leather Holster: Mac Daniel II crossdraw for G30 Good and Bad

My wife just received my first Andrews Custom Leather Holster, Mac Daniel II Crossdraw for my Glock 30. According to my Wife, the quality is outstanding and should last a lifetime. Just donít trust their ship date, if you need it as a gift to someone. I was scheduled for R&R from Afghanistan in July. My wife wanted me to order the holster for an early birthday present (Sep), since I would be back in Afghanistan in August.

Customer Service was a little clumsy. I ordered it in May and I was told I was lucky to be ordering then, they were about to start their next production cycle, it should be done and shipped end of June. Early June, they charged my bank account for purchase. In July, no Holster, I called and was told it would actually be end of July. As of 1 August, No holster, I called from Afghanistan, and I was told that the holster was finished, but the loops were being strained and will be shipped by the end of the week. No holster, multiple calls - no answer, I left messages. By September, I finally got Andrew on the phone. He told me it would be shipped that week and it finally did ship. He apologized for the major delay, he was asked to do something for an article in August, thus the delay. I figured since I was charged in early June for the purchase order in May that the priority would be to those that paid upfront 2.5 months earlier, they missed 3 ship dates, than an article. I look forward to break it in during my next R&R in late November.

Prior to ordering from ACL, I read many great reviews and expected a custom made holster to take some time. My only issues would be 1) Donít state the shipping time and then make no attempt to contact the buyer about major delays. 2) If after admitting their errors in missing 3 deadlines, there was no attempt to compensate for the delays? No discount or throw in a magazine holder, etc. Just sorry and we shipped Ö have a nice day.

After breaking in the holster, If the workmanship of the holster is outstanding, I might order their shoulder holster rig, If I donít need it within 2-3 months and if is not meant to be a timely gift. I will also inform them that I will notify my bank not accept a withdraw attempt from them without my authorization. When I get an email stating that my item has been shipped, I will happily release the funds. If that is not agreeable, Iím sure there are other great Holster craftsman that can multi-task to make holsters and manage the business end also.

Being this is my first custom made holster, I have a question? The photo of the inside the holster appears to be unevenly stained? Is this standard practice when staining the holster? It looks like water damage, but wife said it appears to be just the stain. In a custom-made holster, is this something I should to be concern with?
    ACL_Mac2_crossdraw_G30.jpgACL_Mac2_crossdraw_G30_2.jpgACL_Mac2_crossdraw_G30_3.jpgACL_Mac2_crossdraw_G30_4.jpgACL_Mac2_crossdraw_G30_5.jpgACL_Mac2_crossdraw_G30_6.jpg

2. Remove Ads

If I had to take a shot on the dye issue he probably dyes at the end of the process which makes it tough to get even dye on the inside of the holster sometimes.

Dye as a whole can be difficult to get even results for allot of reasons hide can vary in how they absorb the dye, if you dye at the start wet molding can change the way it absorbs and moves around with the water. If you dye at the end the boning is denser and absorbs differently;) So there are allot of little things that can effect how even the dye is, some you can avoid some you can't typically you just do the best you can with the materials etc that your working.

Nothing to be worried about as far as function from the looks of it, and since it's the inside of the holster it's pretty likely not to be seen, if it bothers ya I'd shoot them a call otherwise looks like a nice rig.

Take care!

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

I'd guess your wife will be pleased with the holster for many years. They are a top-flight leather shop, and make gorgeous holsters. Congratulations on the selection! I have spoken with Sam several times, and he always answered my questions promptly.

I wouldnt worry about the dye myself.... no should be seeing the inside of my holster. Variations in leather thickness, dye, shape of the leather etc can have an impact on its ability to take and hold stain. as long as the outside looks good to go, dont sweat it.
    ĒGod grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.Ē
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Whatever the reason, there is no excuse for it. Even a volume-produced holster won't pass Q.C looking like that. Neither should anyone be waiting so long for a holster. If it can't be mailed in a timely fashion (it's a simple unlined holster) the maker should say "sorry I can't get it done, please cancel your order for a full refund". I've had the benefit of ten years' experience on the selling floor and use a simple credo: "we're not here to piss off the customers".

I appreciate everyone's advice on the Dye issue. I realize that the dye issue wouldn't be viewable to others. It just struck my wife and me as a little strange the un-even dying from an experienced custom leather shop. It just brings to question what else was overlooked, etc. I have no doubt that it will provide many years of service. My wife also carries a G30, I was planning on getting her one for Christmas, but from her concerns. I best stick to earrings for her this time around. ;)
    I think I’ll order from a different Custom holster Shop next time and see how the custom service and the finished product compare to ACL. I’m in a position now to afford custom holsters for my other weapons.
    Again I do appreciate everyone's input on the matter.

If you go to High Noon Holsters website, you will find Red Nichols' holsters available.
    Best holsters I've ever seen.
    Anything you have him make is gonna knock you out.
    Certified Infidel

Thanks I will check them out.

I have a MacDaniels holster for my commander the finish is great, but after trying the kydex horse leather combo from concealment solutions I have not used the MacDaniels again. Aside from the comfort of the black mamba CE from concealment solutions, the positive lock of the pistol and how stable and deep under the belt it rides is what convince me. Also the MacDaniel does not fully cover the trigger for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Bullard leather is making me a crossdraw for my j frames an a slide for my CZ will let you know how they do their web site looks awesome

I would expect better quality for the price they charge for their work.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Bullard leather is making me a crossdraw for my j frames an a slide for my CZ will let you know how they do their web site looks awesome
    I look forward to your review, thanks

Links