Upside Down Shoulder Holster for Colt Python

This is a discussion on Upside Down Shoulder Holster for Colt Python within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; An inverted should holster (hangs barrel end up and straight down - Steve McQueen's holster in the famous "Bullitt") and a Python seem a whacky ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Upside Down Shoulder Holster for Colt Python

An inverted should holster (hangs barrel end up and straight down - Steve McQueen's holster in the famous "Bullitt") and a Python seem a whacky and rare mix but the Python, while known as the "Cadillac of Revolvers", is LOTTA WEIGHT. So I thought I'd check. The inverted shoulder holster allows the gun to be concealed between the arm and side of the body. Or if you know any other shoulder holsters easy to conceal a big 4" revolver let me know, I'd appreciate it.

My Python:

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    When I carry a big revolver it is a stainless 6" Python in Bianchi X15. I am 6'3" around 190lbs. The holster is adjusted to near max length. It works good for me.

That is a beauty....Nice....... Is that Nickel or Ultimate stainless?
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

VIP Member
    That is one nice wheelgun . the prettiest i have ever seen
    Aceoky likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    I don’t have pictures of it but I do have two older shoulder holsters like used by Steve McQueen, one I carry a 2” Detective Special and the other is for a 4” S&W Model 10/15/19. Both are quite comfortable and spread the weight nicely. When I was still on active duty I had another for a 2” S&W Model 10/15 that I used while flying, it was the only holster that my weapon never fell out of no matter what I was doing. And that is a beautiful Python.

steve-mcqueen-bullitt.jpg P1010188.jpg

The Python is not listed but these folks may be able to build one for you. http://nevadagunleather.com/Upside-D...olster-155.htm
    Aceoky, grouse, detective and 1 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

The holster he's wearing is a Safariland. I'm sure they dont make that model any more. I carried my service revolver in while working as a plain clothed cop. When new they are very secure. They ised surhical grade elastic. Over time however, and with constant drawing and re-holstering the elastic does begin to wear. Bianchi made a similar model with a different retention system. The bianchi didnt lose any of the retention strength. I have one thats about 30 years old... still as good as when it was new.

Oh and I think Lt. Bullitt caried a diamondback. The best looking Python I ever seen was in the movie "ELECTRA-GLIDE IN BLUE"
    Aceoky, tdave, detective and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    The holster he's wearing is a Safariland. I'm sure they dont make that model any more. I carried my service revolver in while working as a plain clothed cop. When new they are very secure. They ised surhical grade elastic. Over time however, and with constant drawing and re-holstering the elastic does begin to wear. Bianchi made a similar model with a different retention system. The bianchi didnt lose any of the retention strength. I have one thats about 30 years old... still as good as when it was new.

Oh and I think Lt. Bullitt caried a diamondback. The best looking Python I ever seen was in the movie "ELECTRA-GLIDE IN BLUE"
    Not a movie but I liked Castillo's Python on Miami Vice.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Bullitt carried a .38, snub, Diamondback, not a Python.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by oldskeetshooter View Post
    When I carry a big revolver it is a stainless 6" Python in Bianchi X15. I am 6'3" around 190lbs. The holster is adjusted to near max length. It works good for me.

That is a beauty....Nice....... Is that Nickel or Ultimate stainless?
    It's Nickel, looks beautiful at first, but nickel is soft and just a thin finish, easy to pick up fine scratches - and can't really polish out well or the worn nickel from polishing can expose the underlying metal. You have an Ultimate Stainless? They're as beautiful as the nickel and if they build up a lot of fine scratches you can just sent it back to Colt for re-polishing.

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    That is one nice wheelgun . the prettiest i have ever seen
    Thanks, I got it Used but never fired at a local Gander Mtn for $449 5 years go. The prior owner had brought it in for a minor repair, screw had fallen out during shipping, something like that. He got tired of waiting for the original Colt part to arrive at Gander and sold it to them for wholesale. Colt finally sent the part Gander put it in and a half hour after it was put up for sale I saw it!. I swear my credit card flew out of my wallet like an F-14 combat jet scrambling.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I don’t have pictures of it but I do have two older shoulder holsters like used by Steve McQueen, one I carry a 2” Detective Special and the other is for a 4” S&W Model 10/15/19. Both are quite comfortable and spread the weight nicely. When I was still on active duty I had another for a 2” S&W Model 10/15 that I used while flying, it was the only holster that my weapon never fell out of no matter what I was doing. And that is a beautiful Python.

The Python is not listed but these folks may be able to build one for you. Upside Down Shoulder Holster

Hey thanks, I'll check them out!

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    Thanks, I got it Used but never fired at a local Gander Mtn for $449 5 years go. The prior owner had brought it in for a minor repair, screw had fallen out during shipping, something like that. He got tired of waiting for the original Colt part to arrive at Gander and sold it to them for wholesale. Colt finally sent the part Gander put it in and a half hour after it was put up for sale I saw it!. I swear my credit card flew out of my wallet like an F-14 combat jet scrambling.
    Now THAT is a score. I can't believe the sales folks were dumb enough to put such a low price on it, even at Gander Mountain... No offense to any Gander employees...

Tell you what, I'll give you $469 for it. You can make an easy twenty bucks!
    Aceoky and Sky Pilot like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    It's Nickel, looks beautiful at first, but nickel is soft and just a thin finish, easy to pick up fine scratches - and can't really polish out well or the worn nickel from polishing can expose the underlying metal. You have an Ultimate Stainless? They're as beautiful as the nickel and if they build up a lot of fine scratches you can just sent it back to Colt for re-polishing.
    Mine is just the regular stainless. I wasn't willing to fork over the extra bucks for Ultimate stainless, as the gun was to be used for hunting and I knew it would get some scratches and dings. Besides that, $475.00 was all that I could afford at the time.
    Aceoky likes this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

The Python is not listed but these folks may be able to build one for you. Upside Down Shoulder Holster
    Do you have one of theirs, an upside-down?

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Now THAT is a score. I can't believe the sales folks were dumb enough to put such a low price on it, even at Gander Mountain... No offense to any Gander employees...

Tell you what, I'll give you $469 for it. You can make an easy twenty bucks!
    Thanks but I think I'll pass for now!

I've got one for my Colt Detective, with my Fedora and Camel non-filtered hanging from the side of my mouth; when I walk into the Range, I AM Humphrey Bogart.

Mine though has too slack elastic, so I fitted over it a small ace bandage, think made for the wrist, works but kills the look really. Then again it's concealed so......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links