Kydex Holsters - Question

This is a discussion on Kydex Holsters - Question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I just received a Kydex holster for my Glock 19/26, a mag pouch, plus a mag pouch for a Pmag. I got it from ...

Thread: Kydex Holsters - Question

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar

So I just received a Kydex holster for my Glock 19/26, a mag pouch, plus a mag pouch for a Pmag. I got it from a company called COC-LLC. They were recommended by a friend. They were a little late on shipping it, so they threw in an extra holster with a different cant angle. The quality appears to be up to par, but the one thing that is bothersome is that when I holster my G19 in either holster it is very difficult to remove it. So my question is; does it normally take a few days of holstering and unholstering the gun to loosen the material up? I have never owned a Kydex holster before.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    So I just received a Kydex holster for my Glock 19/26, a mag pouch, plus a mag pouch for a Pmag. I got it from a company called COC-LLC. They were recommended by a friend. They were a little late on shipping it, so they threw in an extra holster with a different cant angle. The quality appears to be up to par, but the one thing that is bothersome is that when I holster my G19 in either holster it is very difficult to remove it. So my question is; does it normally take a few days of holstering and unholstering the gun to loosen the material up? I have never owned a Kydex holster before.
    Kydex, unlike leather generally doesn't loosen up with use. The only way to adjust it is to heat it up, probably with a hair dryer at the tension points and relax it there. On your Glock, those points are most likely around the trigger guard and front of the ejector point. Could you post a pic of the holster?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Sponsor
    Ditto on the pics.

Are you sure there is no adjustment for retention?

With but one exception, all of the holsters I make have adjustable retention.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    Ditto on the pics.

Are you sure there is no adjustment for retention?

With but one exception, all of the holsters I make have adjustable retention.
    I took a quick peek at the site, and it is as I originally assumed, holster molded directly to the shape of the gun, yielding very tight retention.
    COC LLC Kydex Holsters and Magazine Pouches
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Sponsor
    OP,
    If it's the holster pictured on the linked page, you'll want to reform the area of the ejection port and rely on the retention from the trigger guard(which may need tweaked as well).

I have notice that the newer Semi auto pistols have very sharp edges around the ejection port. Almost like there is no deburring process at all on the slides. It's not an issue for my designs but a friend who does hybrids, which do rely heavily on the ejection port for retention, is complaining that the newer guns are actually shaving material from the Kydex half shell when holstering and on the draw stroke.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

The Fobus holster for the Beretta 92/M9 I had was very, very tight. As I was in Iraq and didn't have many options, I made many dozens of draws and re-holstering. After a while I saw where it was rubbing/hanging up. I did a little bit of sanding and shaving with an exacto knife, lubed both the holster and frame/slide up with petroleum jelly and hundreds of draws later had firm but releasable fit.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    I have three Kydex holsters. Two Fobus and one of unknown origin that came with the SW99 when I bought it on Gunbroker.

The Fobus for my SIG 2340 took some time to break in and a little hair dryer treatment as suggested by Mike1956 might help. Mine is fine now with just the right amount of retention.

My other Fobus is for my SIG Mosquito and has screws that adjust the retention. Same with the unknown brand. They work well.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Thanks for all the replies. No, it does not appear that there is retention adjustment. I have just been working them and it appears that the point that was causing the problem was right at the ejection port. I like the holster, and now that I have worn that problem area down I think it will be OK.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Sponsored Links