FIST #1A's finally arrive

This is a discussion on FIST #1A's finally arrive within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After 8 weeks, the FIST #1A holsters that I ordered for my G26 and SP101 3" arrived. I will of course need to wear them ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wondering

Thread: FIST #1A's finally arrive

After 8 weeks, the FIST #1A holsters that I ordered for my G26 and SP101 3" arrived. I will of course need to wear them for a while to break them in some and with these being my first leather holsters, there will be a learning curve for me, but my overall first impressions are good.

The Good
    -The leather seems to be high quality, very stiff and the fit and color is good.
    -The G26 holster retention is very high, but with a few practice draws it is starting to loosen up and I'm hoping it hits the sweet spot soon. My first draw took me by surprise when my pants almost hit my ribcage. I felt like Barney Fife. I'm used to a Remora and after a few draws I seem to be getting the hang of it. The SP101 draws easier.
    -Comfort and concealability - From my limited time with them last night, the comfort of these holsters is excellent! I can barely tell that I have them on and the concealability is very good.
    -Clips-These clips are not going to come off during the draw as long as you have a belt on...any belt. They clip on and stay.
    -Sweat shield - I like the size and placement of the sweatshield which perfectly prevents contact of skin and metal without having too large of a footprint.

The Iffy
    -Apparently the holsters were boxed before they totally dried. Each holster was in a sealed ziploc bag and they were sweating when I opened them. The leather stain sweated onto the bag and the metal clips leaving brown spots on the metal clips that almost look like rust, but I feel they are just stain spots. I'm not sure how I can get those off without scuffing the metal clips.
    -The stud for the clip on the SP101 holster was apparently moved while riveting leaving an elongated hole which is a cosmetic issue (see attached photo).
    -Clips - these clips are no joke..they are metal with J-style hooks going outward and another going inward to catch the underside of the belt. I am a bit worried that they will catch on furniture and will be tough on my belt as well, but they are definitely effective at anchoring the holster.

Going from a Remora for my G26 to a single clip holster should help to make my holster placement more consistent and concealable as I typically holster rather quickly after work in the parking lot and sometimes get it at 8:00 and sometimes at 8:30 and with varying cants. I have been using a Uncle Mike's that was too large for my SP101 so any new holster is an improvement over that. The tight clip on the FIST makes it a little tough to attach the holster quickly after work but the Uncle Mike's was difficult with that too.

Either way check out the pics and feel free to provide any wisdom on conditioning/breaking in new leather holsters.
    Attached Images
    WHEC724 likes this.

VIP Member
    Congrats on great holsters. That J-clip will eventually wear a little scratch on your belt, but it stays covered, and that holster is never coming loose unless you want it to. I don't recall doing anything special to loosen the leather. Leaving the gun in the holster overnight for a few days should be sufficient. I often take off my EDC and place the entire rig as one unit in the safe overnight.

I originally purchased these to be a temporary "grab & go" holster, but have found that I prefer them to the fancier two-clip/loop rigs. Mine are about 3 or 4 years old and look the same as the day I got them. The G19 is riding in a #1A as I type this.

Links