Glock Finish

Glock Finish

This is a discussion on Glock Finish within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so I got my first Glock a couple of weeks ago, and have carried it in a leather holster probably 6-8 times so far ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Glock Finish

Glock Finish

Ok, so I got my first Glock a couple of weeks ago, and have carried it in a leather holster probably 6-8 times so far (but never for more than a couple of hours at a time). I already see signs of the finish edges of the pistol wearing down the finish. It isn't a big deal, I don't care that much, but my M and P I've carried far more and it doesn't show nearly that much. To be clear, the MP has a Galco hard case, not leather.

Is this typical of leather wear from holsters, or typical of a Glock finish? Just wondering, doesn't matter that much....
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Don't have any new Glocks but all of the older ones we own have been carried in stiff leather, Kydex, suede and "Remora" and we don't have any finish-wear problems. Or maybe there might be some and we aren't that perfectionist about the looks. I'd have to inspect each one closely - they look fine to me. I just pulled my trusty 26 which is worn all day every day and it looks perfect.

Perhaps you should contact Glock - send them pictures to describe the issue.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

My Glock was showing a little wear from the holster, whichever as leather, but after rubbing it with a silicone cloth, the would be scratch disappeared. I have seen threads stating that the newer Glock finishes don't wear as well though. Sure there isn't a burr of some sort in your holster? Good luck
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I just pulled my G 19 out of the holster next to me, and its pristine. Bought it right before Obama took office the first time. Its generally kept in a blacetech paddle IWB holster. I have another one that I bought this year, but havent used it enough to give any feedback on it, yet.

I think the answer to your question is "No". Its not typical, though its not the first complaint I have heard this year on that same subject.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Yeah that should not happen that soon on a glock.

Alothough I should ask what gen and were was it made . The American made ones use a different chemical on them so...
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I have a year + old Gen. 4 G23 that has been carried every day in Kydex, practiced with, shot on the range from holster, etc. not a mark on the finish. I don't see much wear on any of my pistols from holster wear. The important thing is to keep the leather or Kydex clean, it's more the accumulated debris than the material that causes wear. Wipe your GLOCK down with a silicon gun cloth and my bet is it will look brand new.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

My older Gen 3 17, 19, and Gen 4 26 from last summer all have a different finish than my new FDE Gen 4 19. The older ones have a slicker, darker black, glossy finish. The new Gen 4 is more of a matte black/grey. It has shown holster wear a lot faster. In fact, it had signs of holster wear from the kydex within the first drawstroke. I don't care, gives em personality.

Pic is of 2009 Gen 3 19 on bottom, Gen 4 26 made last spring in middle, and new FDE Gen 4 19 I've had a few weeks on top. The new finish definately wears faster...then again I practice drawing from concealment a lot.

DRM and gatorbait51 like this.

Wear is common. My carry guns all get wear and dings, it goes with the territory.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

All of my Glocks have that nice leather holster patina. It matches my patina, which comes with age and wisdom.
    BenGoodLuck, gatorbait51 and OD* like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    All of my Glocks have that nice leather holster patina. It matches my patina, which comes with age and wisdom.
    You mean your Glocks have wrinkles??????

==================

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    My gl23 i've had a couple of years.I don't see anything on the end of it.That said the couple of holsters i use for it is leather and the bianchi suede with the clip.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

your Glocks have wrinkles?
    No, they have feathers.
    BenGoodLuck and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandpgrl View Post
    My gl23 i've had a couple of years.I don't see anything on the end of it.That said the couple of holsters i use for it is leather and the bianchi suede with the clip.
    I like my Bianchi suede holster too - even though it does NOT make for easy reholstering. Is that a girl thing?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

==================

Suede is too soft - that Bianchi isn't really designed to be "hard" like standard boned leather.

I have a newer G30 that I carry daily in a Garret Industries Silent Thunder Fusion. It doesn't show any wear at all.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links