IWB is painful

This is a discussion on IWB is painful within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I started carrying recently and I've found carrying IWB is really painful. I have some pain in hip normally that radiates down my groin. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: IWB is painful

IWB is painful

So I started carrying recently and I've found carrying IWB is really painful. I have some pain in hip normally that radiates down my groin. Wearing IWB exacerbates this problem tremendously.

Originally, I started pocket carrying a 642. That works fine with minimal discomfort other than my gun belt pulling on my right hip/groin.

I bought an sr9c with a crossbreed supertuck used. When I wear it at 3 o'clock it is super comfy when I'm standing or walking around. Problem is I sit a lot throughout the day, in the car and at clients houses. And when I do the holster/gun presses on my hip causing pain. If I move it back to 3:30-4:30, it takes that issue away, but it pulls the gun belt tight against the front of my hip and groin and causes more pain.

So I bought a remora holster thinking that would relieve the weight being pulled on the belt into my hip/groin. It does when at 3 o'clock, but it rides lower than the crossbreed and presses on my hip, but at 3 o'clock it does push the belt away from my groin which is nice, but the press on my hip is still excruciating. If I move it back to 4ish, then it feels good on my hip, but it pulls the belt into my groin.

The only thing I haven't tried yet, is wearing the remora at 6 in the small of my back, but I know about those issues of falling or not being able to get to my gun in a struggle.

Any other options you can thing of? Go to left hip carry? Or just pocket carry? Would an OWB holster solve some of these problems? I usually carry the sr9c at church and my suit jacket would cover it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Hoosier, its painful for me, too. I will admit that my first IWB was ... not the best choice. An earlier model bladetech, that just plain hurt. Apparently bladetech got a lot of blowback about that holster and redesigned it, but I didnt bother getting the updated one. I did also buy a galco IWB.

It was better, but I still didnt like it. After that, I quit fooling with IWB all together. Honestly, I dont know why its caught on. I can conceal in other ways that I like much better, and that dont hurt.

Sorry I cant be of more help to you, but to me its not worth fooling with.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Why not pocket carry?

You still need a good belt & holster, and it even has some advantages.
    glockman10mm likes this.

VIP Member
    Having only run two holsters thus far, one of which I personally despise and one I am unfamiliar with, you are still a long way from the only thing you haven't tried yet. Here is my personal favorite:
    Ohio Special IWB - MidWorld Holster
    For me, a decent gun belt is also critical:
    Original Instructor Belt
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Appendix carry maybe, if you are built for it.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I have an SR9c that I carry OWB at about 3:00-3:30. I use a simple Don Hume belt slide. The important thing to have it a good belt if you're going to carry OWB. I find that mine is very comfortable and conceals well, even under a t-shirt. The best advice is if hurts, don't do it.
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

Sneaky Pete. Works while sitting, driving, standing, and your size does not mater. Does not even get in the way of my seat belt.
    Sky Pilot and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Appendix carry maybe, if you are built for it.
    I agree. If you don't suffer from Dunlop's Disease (aka spare tire) this may be a valid option.

The other would be to look at OWB holsters. If your cover garment is long enough carrying this way isn't that difficult and can be more comfortable than IWB.

Do make sure you have a good, stiff, purpose-made gunbelt (I'm a fan of kydex lined belts, myself). You would be amazed at what a difference it makes over a normal department store belt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Mike

“Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense.”
    John Adams (Americas 2nd US President)

I have a good gun belt. I bought an armor belt. It was the 1.5", but that was really digging into me, and he let me exchange it for the 1.25". That's been much better but hasn't solved the problems.

Oh and I'm fat, so I don't think appendix will work for me.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Sneaky Pete looks nice, but what will my clients think when I pull out my phone from my pocket. Plus if I go OWB, I think I need something that spreads the weight over a larger portion of my belt so it doesn't pull it into my groin.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Take a look at bullards leather their crossdraw for j frames looks great I ordered it should have it next couple of days
    gatorbait51 likes this.

+1 on Joker's idea for appendix carry. You've got a Remora, here's an idea. Use the Remora to try the AIWB position to try it out. I did and found I REALLY liked it. Next step is to get yourself a good AIWB holster (I got a GALCO Sto-N-Go leather for $26 from Optics Planet sponsor here...) if it works out for you. IMO, I'd stay away from that in the back for reasons you mentioned and others.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

That is why I carry outside the waist band. Very comfortable.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierLife View Post
    Sneaky Pete looks nice, but what will my clients think when I pull out my phone from my pocket. Plus if I go OWB, I think I need something that spreads the weight over a larger portion of my belt so it doesn't pull it into my groin.
    What the client thinks is immaterial; it could contain a notebook (the kind with paper you write on ... I know, I'm obsolete!) -- or a medical device.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Strange, that a belt is putting strain on your groin area.

IMO, getting a good fit with a given holstered sidearm will depend completely on your body's shape, fitness, clothing. No changing that. About all you can do is try different options and see. Everyone's shape and clothing choices are different.

Some possibilities:

• IWB at the small of the back, which might well tug less on the belt along the other spots.

• IWB appendix, depending on whether your gut/belly area allows.

• OWB, possibly with a paddle holster. Will depend on your covering garments and whether you absolutely must have discreet concealment.

• Pocket or ankle carry, if a S&W snubbie revolver is your everywhere carry unit.

• Consider a different cut of pants, one cut to allow better movement with that added bulk, less binding, better drape. Might solve some (or even much) of the issue, depending.

• Try a flatter-riding gun, one with less overall height. A well-designed IWB holster should then be better able to deal with the curves of your body's shape at that spot, taking up a bit less space IWB.

• If you don't have an exceptional belt, try one. IMO, the difference between a fairly solid "gun" belt that's designed for such loads is that it can avoid hot spots and binding around other spots along the belt line, when cinching down on the IWB holster. Of course, OWB would need less tightness, though the solidity of a quality gun belt still is evident with OWB. At least in my experience it has been, though some others claim a belt hasn't anywhere this overall level of utility, beyond holding up the pants and providing an anchor point for the holster.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links