Unusual Holster Predicament

This is a discussion on Unusual Holster Predicament within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most people probably complain that their holster isnt doing the job, and they need a new one. I have the opposite problem. I have a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Unusual Holster Predicament

Unusual Holster Predicament

Most people probably complain that their holster isnt doing the job, and they need a new one. I have the opposite problem. I have a White Hax MaxTuck that I have carried everything from the Glock 19, 27, 22, and 17 in. Its been amazing. So comfortable, that even with a full size pistol, I forget I have it on. Heck, Ive actually fallen asleep with my full size Glocks on.

The holster has a horsehide backing, and the kydex can be swapped over to use holster other pistols. I just got a Glock 30, and because of the wider slide and grip, it doesnt fit in my holster, and since this is going to be one of my new carry guns, Im going to need a holster for it.

The obvious solution is just get another kydex from White Hat, and run the MaxTuck. This would work great, and Im sure be a dream to carry. But I would also like to try other holster types. In my first 8 months carrying, this White Hat has been great, but because its been so great, Ive never carried with anything else.

But Im curious what other options would be as good? I just like experiencing new things. All sorts of all-leather offerings from Galco, both IWB and OWB, and some other types of OWB holsters. Ive never carried OWB, as here in FL the weather generally allows a tshirt, and Im not sure how it would conceal.

So basically, Im just looking for options, or people to talk me back to common sense, and tell me just to buy the new kydex. What does everyone think?

2. Remove Ads

It all boils down to whether or not you have money. If you don't, buy the holster that you know works. If you do, try all the different holsters you want.
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home. Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. RSO. Travelin' Man.

This is where gun shows come in handy. Certainly not to find better deals than your local gun shop but to look at a variety of gun "stuff". At a typical gun show you can find a huge variety of holsters. Often some guys are there that make holsters. Just google gun shows in your area ( or come out to Salt Lake City this weekend - the expo center is having a big one) and go in for a "look see/ try on" session.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

I have the Max Tuck also and just ordered a new kydex for different gun.

Personally, if I had found the one "perfect" holster solution, I wouldn't change. No reason to, other than interest in other stuff. But that's just me.

Given that you've got good ones that are practical perfection for you, why not get one that'll be your "barbeque" type (ostentatious, presentation-grade) holster? Something so good-looking that you'll make a statement even with a pedestrian carry unit in there? Might be worth the wait. Particularly if one of your existing holsters works well with the new gun.

Say, something from DelFatti, Red Nichols, Nossar Gunleather, Brommeland, Ritchie Leather or similar?
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Sounds like you're a IWB kind of guy who wants to flirt with OWB. You can have both in one holster. I don't have one myself but have been considering getting a Hidden Hybrid holster. It's the traditional looking IWB hybrid holster but also has belt loops to wear it OWB.

http://shop.hiddenhybridholsters.com...olsters_c2.htm

I am in FT Myers an carry OWB with snubs or my CZ I use a kent hayes from hayesleather.com or a leather slide by bullard leather or a crossdraw from bullard. I wear tshirts an cargo shorts covers fine.

Quote Originally Posted by RightyLefty View Post
    Sounds like you're a IWB kind of guy who wants to flirt with OWB. You can have both in one holster. I don't have one myself but have been considering getting a Hidden Hybrid holster. It's the traditional looking IWB hybrid holster but also has belt loops to wear it OWB.

Hybrid Holsters
    I tried a holster similar to that... Friend got an Aegis Armoy holster and wears it OWB. Prints pretty bad on him (very slender guy with a G19), and when I tried it on OWB, it would shift all over the place, and didnt hold it up tight to my body at all.

Eventually Ill get a nice gun thats more of an art piece than a carry gun (like a nice full size .44mag revolver or nice 1911), and then Id probably get a classy looking Galco or similar holster to wear on range days.

As for now, I just bought a replacement kydex. Ill keep my eyes open for other, affordable options for my G30.

Never tried one with loops on it for OWB, but then again once I got my Alien Gear holster I never looked back. So i'd say it's all personal opinion.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

3Speed Holster you're probably getting tired of me promoting this, but they are an advertiser here and I believe in their product. This is a great alternative to IWB rigs.20130607_121837a.jpg

Purse Carry
    SHTFGearLLC and Chuck808 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Flashbang?
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

There are two holsters I swear by:

Minotaur M-TAC (Similar to White Hat in many respects) Inside Waistband Holsters - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Minotaur MTAC Holster

Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 (So good there is a 6 month wait) Versa Max 2

I have 2 VM2's and 3 M-TACs.

I have a few others that I regard as very good holsters but My preference is what steers me to the others,
    IE: Sideguard Double Snap Tuck (Eric does do great work!) Side Guard Holsters - IWB Holster - Double Tuck Snap
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I just ordered a holster from Alien gear. My first iwb in years. Being a fat man those things don't work for me but everybody is talking about how great they are so I gave in. I hope it works O.K. They are about half the price of a Crossbred.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    The Glocktech MIC holster is something you should try out.

THE GLOCKTECH STORE - Standard MIC Holster Purchase

Heck, for under $20, can you really go wrong? I have a similar product for my Walther PPQ, and it's a great alternative holster method.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links