Pocket carry - input, please

This is a discussion on Pocket carry - input, please within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my wife and I recently received our CWL in Florida. 10 months of the year it's shorts/t-shirt or polo shirt weather. Because of this ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Pocket carry - input, please

Pocket carry - input, please

So my wife and I recently received our CWL in Florida. 10 months of the year it's shorts/t-shirt or polo shirt weather. Because of this I've downsized my carry gun from my 9mm to my LCP since the latter is so much easier to hide. I'm 5'8" and about 160 lbs; slim build for an old geezer and IWB hasn't been working for me for both comfort and concealment sake. I've tried a few front pocket holsters which probably need me to get used to the weight but have recently swapped my wallet to front carry and gun to rear pocket carry and it seems to be working. My draw from the rear pocket is more natural and less conspicuous, IMO, plus it's even more comfortable sitting and driving than my wallet being in the back pocket. Anyone doing this and are there any cons I need to be aware of?
    Hopyard likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Can people see your firearm in your pocket? What about when you're leaning over the grocery cart in the check out line?

How much slower are you in deploying?

Is 6 rounds of .380 good enough for your SD anticipated needs? Do you live/work in a bad area? Is our wife armed also? If so then you're probably cool.

IMO, you should wear a holster shirt and carry your 9mm and wear a Hawaiian shirt.

A pickpocket would get a lot more than your wallet. Keep the gun in the front pocket.

if your wallet is too thick, get one from BigSkinny...and only carry what you really need in it
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I live in FT Myers an wear t shirts an shorts also retired. I carry a SP 101 IWB or a 642 inpocket or CZ in OWB all cover easily with t shirt. The trick is getting holsters that are comfortable an hold butt close to your body. Milt sparks summer special works great also bullard leather makes a cross draw for j frames an a slide OWB for autos works great. Check out their crossdraw for your LCP.

Great input, guyz, thanks. The LCP can't be seen under normal conditions depending on the holster I choose for the rear pocket but I hadn't considered pick pockets, either; great point. My wife is also working on what carry options work for her.

We don't live or work in a bad area and I open carry while on our property. I feel comfortable in public with 6 +1 so that's not an issue.

I'll keep working on IWB or front pocket options.

VIP Member
    Nuke, up until about a year ago I carried an LCP in a wallet holster in my right rear jeans pocket for about 3 yrs. I found it to be a safe & effective means of carry.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke0955 View Post
    So my wife and I recently received our CWL in Florida. 10 months of the year it's shorts/t-shirt or polo shirt weather. Because of this I've downsized my carry gun from my 9mm to my LCP since the latter is so much easier to hide. I'm 5'8" and about 160 lbs; slim build for an old geezer and IWB hasn't been working for me for both comfort and concealment sake. I've tried a few front pocket holsters which probably need me to get used to the weight but have recently swapped my wallet to front carry and gun to rear pocket carry and it seems to be working. My draw from the rear pocket is more natural and less conspicuous, IMO, plus it's even more comfortable sitting and driving than my wallet being in the back pocket. Anyone doing this and are there any cons I need to be aware of?
    I have found that a good OWB holster (Galco concealable, for example) combined with an untucked shirt (long polo or button down) conceals the firearm nicely, and also is very comfortable. Wearing it at 3:30 is also very comfortable for me.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Personally, I would be very hesistant to wear it in the back pocket for a couple of reasons. 1) Pickpockets 2) You mentioned its easier to sit on in the car. What happens if someone tries to carjack you, etc. How do you get to it with your seatbelt on? 3) Clearance time from the rear pocket.

With the LCP there are TONS of options because of its compact size. Think about the 5.11 Undershirt 5.11 Undergear Shirts - Compression, Mock & Loose Under Shirts

For my LCP when I use it I have Don Hume 001 pocket holster. Sits in the front pocket and because of the hook the gun clears easily leaving the holster in the pocket. 2-DHJ100242R.jpg There are some really nice OWB options that you can easily conceal with an untucked t-shirt. ProCarry Quick Draw is small. Alien Gear makes some very inexpensive IWB that distribute the weight nicely.

Carry my P3AT in right rear pocket in a leather wallet holster I made.

It's a BUG to a bigger weapon IWB at 3-3:30. I prefer back pocket personally. As mentioned seated in a car, there is no way you'll draw from a front pocket. At least in the back pocket you can lift up enough to get the weapon out.

If the LCP is your main carry there are a lot of comfortable options for IWB or OWB that should conceal with nothing more than a T shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    ...up until about a year ago I carried an LCP in a wallet holster in my right rear jeans pocket for about 3 yrs. I found it to be a safe & effective means of carry.
    I actually have a wallet holster due here by the end of the week. I'll give that a try.

WHEC724, you said "...up until a year ago..." Does that mean you no longer rear pocket carry and if so, what have you changed?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke0955 View Post
    I actually have a wallet holster due here by the end of the week. I'll give that a try.

WHEC724, you said "...up until a year ago..." Does that mean you no longer rear pocket carry and if so, what have you changed?
    Good question. My business shifted away from direct sales. Instead of jeans/slacks and a tucked shirt, I now wear shorts and an un-tucked polo shirt to work. I can conceal just about anything now. Shaving appears to have become optional as well...
    kerberos, Nuke0955 and Chuck808 like this.

I carry about half the time in the back pocket for my LCP. I find it works pretty well. Pickpockets maybe an issue in urban or crowded areas and then I would move it to front. Agree it won't work in a car, but IMO a tucked IWB with a seatbelt on is hard to get to as well

For inside the car I use a small maxpedition holster that has Velcro on the side from my maxpedition bag. I can use the same holster in 2 cars that way as well. I mount it the right had side of the seat.

Go Seahawks!

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Good thread. But I think there's a certain amount of myopia at play here.

If a mugger is threatening you with a...oh IDK, a baseball bat and asks for your wallet, then a wallet enclosed shootable mouse gun in the rear pocket is almost IDEAL. But you can't pick the type of threat. If a car jacker is trying to take your car and your kid is strapped in the backseat, no rear pocket gun will help you. If two guys are coming at you both quite aggressively, maybe 20-30 feet away, one with a weapon, is a mouse gun in the back pocket going to be a deterrent, particularly in a low light situation? I don't think so.

IMO, if you train and shoot and practice with a compact semi-auto, you're asking for trouble to be carrying something completely different. It might be comfortable and you might carry it a lot, but is the utility of a firearm in the comfort of the carry. A little bit - it's better than being unarmed.

Most people, if they care to try, can carry a 10+1 semi-auto generally concealed without a lot of trouble. You have reliability, familiarity, and efficacy (plus the ability to reload). Remember the threat once dealt with, carrying 6+1 means you're standing there with a small, empty "rock" and still have to get home in one piece.
    DetChris likes this.

I think one issue is that I need to learn to start wearing clothes that are more baggy than what I wear now. Even at the almost ripe age of 58, I'm still a bit trim and just about any method of IWB I've tried is simply noticeable. I have no doubt that I'll hit a decent compromise. Just getting there is a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Most people, if they care to try, can carry a 10+1 semi-auto generally concealed without a lot of trouble. You have reliability, familiarity, and efficacy (plus the ability to reload). Remember the threat once dealt with, carrying 6+1 means you're standing there with a small, empty "rock" and still have to get home in one piece.
    My wife and I don't live in a bad area and most of my "away from the house" time is in daylight and by myself so I'm not too concerned about 6 +1. We practice often to the point that we're comfortable with what a .380 can do for us (and NOT do). But evenings out mean that we're together and then we're 6 +1 X 2.

VIP Member
    Granted that females and males have radically different body structure. However, at 5'4" and 127 pounds I use my Remora holster at about 2:30 or 2:45 a LOT for my G26 and really like it. My hubby is 5' 9 1/2" (he has shrunk a bit) but weighs about 180 so not as thin as you are - he is now wearing Remora holsters around 3:00 (more or less) most of the time, both for his baby glocks (.40 and .45) and for his S&W lightweight snubby.

Remora holsters are very reasonably priced. They work very well for both of us for summer carry and for in home carry.

For winter carry with more layers of clothes I might use something else. I also have a couple more standard IWB holsters (one kydex and one soft suede) that I used for years before discovering the magic of Remora here on DC. Their Octoberfest 35% off sale is still on. Hurry! Home of the Original Remora No Clip IWB Concealment Holster

Lots of options available.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links