Help fitting a holster

Help fitting a holster

This is a discussion on Help fitting a holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a new holster that is made of soft suede and is a little loose when my J-frame is inserted. Has anyone ever had ...

Thread: Help fitting a holster

Help fitting a holster

I have a new holster that is made of soft suede and is a little loose when my J-frame is inserted. Has anyone ever had this issue and is there a way to harden the leather and make it a little more of a snug fit on the gun?

A clever and handsome design. From the pic I'm deducing that this holster is made from a chrome tannage, which is traditional; and this tannage will not "harden" from wet moulding. Simplest solution: a rivet at the trigger guard (next to the open mouth of the holster), which you can do yourself or have done by a shoe man. A second row of stitching will work, but the row won't match the original; and you'd have to find a willing saddlemaker as the shoemaker's sewing machines are unsuitable.

KISS: use a rivet :-)
    Red (Richard) Nichols

I have a couple of set screws and thought of using a grommet and set screw where you are talking about to adjust the tension. kind of like on my High Noon Bare Asset.

VIP Member
    Yes, I was going to recommend a shoe repair shop also. BTW: Good looking holster!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

BTW, its a Blackhawk Tuckable IWB. Maybe I just need to get used to it. It sits in the AIWB position well. The belt holds it in place and it doesn't fall out, it just unnerves me. I think I will try the grommet and set screw I mentioned.

Is it still loose when wearing it or just when off body? If it is not snug enough when wearing the vendor may have sent you the wrong model.. Just thoughts from a guy who knows next to nothing about leather.

Its snug enough when wearing. And it is definitely for a J-frame. It is even stamped on the back by Blackhawk. I bought it at Gander Mountain so this is a regular production. I have been wearing it around the house and it doesn't move, but I want it to not fall out if I get into a hand to hand scuffle. I don't want to potentially give someone else something else to use against me.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamSean View Post
    I have a couple of set screws and thought of using a grommet and set screw where you are talking about to adjust the tension. kind of like on my High Noon Bare Asset.
    Perhaps by set screw you're meaning a Chicago post screw set? Excellent idea, but use one short enough (the post; the screw is always the same length) that the underside of both heads is under friction, or the assembly can work loose. Or use Loc-tite.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

If you wear it IWB then the pressure from the belt pulling the holster and pistol to the body will hold it in place. Try a handstand and see if it falls out.

Chicago screw. All you have to do is punch a hole and put the Chicago in.

Quote Originally Posted by foxytwo View Post
    If you wear it IWB then the pressure from the belt pulling the holster and pistol to the body will hold it in place. Try a handstand and see if it falls out.
    I have thought about doing that...lol

don't over think this. your belt will hold the gun in place. you do not want the holster tight, if it is it make it hard to draw the gun. that is the way it is for inside the pants holster, some what lose holster to gun fit for easy of drawing.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

It fit fine, but when I got home I had a huge problem. There was sweat all over the gun. The leather doesn't keep out the sweat. I got rid of it and am just going to keep carrying it in my pocket in a kydex pocket holster.

Sponsored Links