longevity of kydex.

This is a discussion on longevity of kydex. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I narrowed down my holster choice to two holsters; one leather, one kydex. I will be carrying a p229 dak as a duty weapon and ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sioux565

Thread: longevity of kydex.

longevity of kydex.

I narrowed down my holster choice to two holsters; one leather, one kydex. I will be carrying a p229 dak as a duty weapon and have considered buying a Ritchie CQ-QR or a X-Concealment M MODII. I like the X-Concealment because it is similar to a raven but has been cut down to reduce size. Also this holster is appealing because the loops they use for owb are nylon i guess much like raven. Also i could realistically purchase two of these holsters for the price of one CQ-QR. I am wondering how long this kydex holster should last with everyday use as an LEO. If the kydex will likely fail sooner than the Ritchie holster i will probably just stick with leather. BTW i will be moving to El Paso eventually so i figured i would add that just in case it changes peoples minds. Thanks again.

2. Remove Ads

I like kydex. No stretching and you can adjust the retention on most of them. Easier to clean too.
    XD40SCiinNC likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    I like kydex. No stretching and you can adjust the retention on most of them. Easier to clean too.
    I agree.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member
    And kydex doesn't get stinky from sweat (like some of my leather holsters have). I would think kydex would hold up longer than leather.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I doubt you could wear kydex out.... i wouldnt even worry about it.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    i always pick leather over kydex for CC because more comfortable, easier on the cloths, easier to conceal and quieter. but for duty kydex could be more suitable if you are going to be out in the weather and have all your other gear banging against it.

i like kydex for range because it requires less care and usually sticks out more and there fore more accessible.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Leather is much more comfortable, and it will last a lot longer than the same holster in kydex...I can speak from personal experience.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Im new to this but I have a galco kydex holster and a Foxx hybrid and so far I like the galco better. I may have to brake in the hybrid but the kydex is easier to draw and holster for me. The only downside is it prints a little more..I dont think longevity would be an issue for either.

If it's full kydex, it's probably .08 or larger. If that is the case you would probably have to damage it somehow to get it to fail. Very unlikely that it fails from use. FWIW, I make hybrids. Been doing it about 18 months, got hundreds of them out and about. I use .06 and I have had one failure that I had to replace. I prefer .08 for full kydex.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links