Kydex = No Sweat

Kydex = No Sweat

This is a discussion on Kydex = No Sweat within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a bit of a perspiration issue when it comes to pocket holsters. The usual fabric and leather holsters cause my leg to sweat, ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Shrike6
  • 1 Post By rednichols

Thread: Kydex = No Sweat

Kydex = No Sweat

I have a bit of a perspiration issue when it comes to pocket holsters. The usual fabric and leather holsters cause my leg to sweat, which then rubs a raw hot spot, causing discomfort. I have noticed though, for some reason, that if I use a kydex holster, I don't sweat. I really don't understand much and really don't care. All I know is no more hot spots.

The problem is that there aren't many companies making kydex pocket holsters. I found mine on ebay and it works great. I am thinking of making a line of kydex pocket holsters for today's most popular guns. At a fraction of the usual cost. I am going to start by making them for the Smith & Wesson J-Frames. They will be similar to this with a grip strip to hold it still in the pocket. What else would you want on something like this?

A soft, flat panel on the outside of the holster to disguise the shape of the revolver through the pants pocket.
    gasmitty and gottabkiddin like this.
    Certified Infidel

Hey, that's a good idea.

Lead Moderator
    I made mine with the outer panel flat to change the outline , with the inner portion molded to the gun form. Back it with a rubber non slip textured panel and it worked well enough. The cost of blue guns for several model tends to push up holster costs more than anything. Of course time is valuable too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Shrike6 View Post
    A soft, flat panel on the outside of the holster to disguise the shape of the revolver through the pants pocket.
    Yes that would help. Or camouflage it to look like something else, maybe a set of keys or a can of chewing tobacco.

It really doesn't print, but making the front less molded to mask the outline would be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Yes that would help. Or camouflage it to look like something else, maybe a set of keys or a can of chewing tobacco.
    Now there's an idea - use a snap like Wild Bill's does, then provide a choice of camouflage panels that snap on. The can of chew, key ring, the cell phone, pack of cigarettes, pocketknife... lots of possibilities there!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The more you add, the bulkier and heavier it gets, and the more expensive it gets. I would like to sell these for $40 shipped. I like the flap idea. Make it look like a wallet.

Back to your eBay holster, I'm liking just how much its original designer thought outside the envelope of convention; and the styling, and the quality of execution of its moulding, for example. The heck with copies, tell the forum who made this one!

It's never worthwhile to make something good 'for a fraction of the cost'. You'll discover that it's worth what the market says, and if that's more than your cost, then you've earned it. And if it's worth a lot more than your cost, then you're being rewarded for excellence.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

my suggestions: don't mold it to the gun too severely. in a pocket holster, you don't want the holster to hold on too tightly to the gun. if someone would like more retention, i would guess that it's easier to tighten up a kydex holster (or just make another one), than it would be to loosen one.

i usually pocket carry (J-frame or Kahr CM-9) in Dockers style pants, not jeans. i would prefer the bottom edge of the holster to be a bit more square than your design, and with a slightly more rounded hook. i suspect that a more rounded hook would catch the edge of your pocket just as well as your design, with less chance of wearing a hole in the pocket lining. and if the bottom edge of the holster had more of a square profile, both along the bottom and at the front corner, i think this would keep the holster from rotating slightly while in my pocket, and keep the gun butt where i expect to find it, when i reach for it.

personally, i don't THINK a rough retention band is needed when the rear corner is designed the way yours is, but i'm not certain, since i have no experience with kydex pocket holsters.

lastly, keep it simple - perhaps with extra cost options if a customer wants them. this enables you to charge a reasonable price, while still making a decent profit for yourself. don't under value your time and labor, but you are not offering anything unique in the way of materials, nor do you yet have name or brand reputation. so price matters. as i have learned through years dealing on eBay: anything will sell if the price is right, and it rarely sells if the price is too high.

GOOD LUCK!

I would prefer the part of the gun that touches my body be fully covered as to keep sweat off of my firearm.

I should have shown this before. The backside has a thumb push to get the gun out. The paddle is contoured to the shape of the leg. Also the retention is rather loose. I would also make the holster to fit either a round or squared pocket. My pockets are rounded so that is why I ordered this. As for the maker, I have no idea who made it. I just saw it on ebay and it was what I was looking for.

And as I stated in the title, for some odd reason, I don't sweat with kydex in my pocket. However, upon request, I suppose the thumb push could be modified to be larger or wider to cover the metal parts of the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    my suggestions: don't mold it to the gun too severely. in a pocket holster, you don't want the holster to hold on too tightly to the gun. if someone would like more retention, i would guess that it's easier to tighten up a kydex holster (or just make another one), than it would be to loosen one.

i usually pocket carry (J-frame or Kahr CM-9) in Dockers style pants, not jeans. i would prefer the bottom edge of the holster to be a bit more square than your design, and with a slightly more rounded hook. i suspect that a more rounded hook would catch the edge of your pocket just as well as your design, with less chance of wearing a hole in the pocket lining. and if the bottom edge of the holster had more of a square profile, both along the bottom and at the front corner, i think this would keep the holster from rotating slightly while in my pocket, and keep the gun butt where i expect to find it, when i reach for it.

personally, i don't THINK a rough retention band is needed when the rear corner is designed the way yours is, but i'm not certain, since i have no experience with kydex pocket holsters.

lastly, keep it simple - perhaps with extra cost options if a customer wants them. this enables you to charge a reasonable price, while still making a decent profit for yourself. don't under value your time and labor, but you are not offering anything unique in the way of materials, nor do you yet have name or brand reputation. so price matters. as i have learned through years dealing on eBay: anything will sell if the price is right, and it rarely sells if the price is too high.

GOOD LUCK!
    A tempest in a teapot, because OP doesn't make this holster (as he said, they are on eBay from a seller who doesn't i.d. the maker); and there's no evidence that OP has the considerable skills with Kydex that the actual maker used.

pock.JPG

The holster in the pic has a lot going on that shows off considerable knowledge of both gun and material: the revolver is placed very precisely within the pocket, the pocket is cut away at the outer top of the cylinder but covers the guard, and yet is extended at the inner top of the cylinder and creates a retainer, the grip on the revolver is created at the muzzle only, by using eyelets -- which allows the Kydex to spread open during the draw, grip clearance is excellent, the hook is a simple clothing gripper, the styling is excellent; to copy this holster, OP will have to KNOW what he's copying; it's not a lump of plastic. Too hot, too cold, consistency of temp, ideal material thickness, how to polish the edges, etc.; none of it is obvious.
    RTF_Squared likes this.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

That looks exactly like the holster I bought. Same cut lines. I do have some experience with molding kydex. Mainly knife sheaths. I have the mold and temperature down. I am ordering an eyelet press so I can start using eyelets and no more chicago screws.

Here's the 'secret' answer you'll really like..."The Thumb Push", from Fist.

I prefer leather, and I have one in leather...I did have one in Kydex, too!
    (zn) K5 KYDEX POCKET HOLSTER

The 'thumb push' idea make for the perfect pocket draw that others on this forum (if they should speak up) have discovered...it works very well, and the holster cannot come out with the gun.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links