My First All Leather Holster (amateur review)

This is a discussion on My First All Leather Holster (amateur review) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For close to a year I have been using a hybrid holster (Old Faithful Holster, the assemble it yourself deal). I really have no complaints ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By kmjjack
  • 1 Post By kmjjack
  • 1 Post By FlaRon
  • 1 Post By kmjjack
  • 1 Post By FlaRon

Thread: My First All Leather Holster (amateur review)

For close to a year I have been using a hybrid holster (Old Faithful Holster, the assemble it yourself deal). I really have no complaints about that type of holster, and certainly no complaints about OF. I just wanted to try a fully leather holster and really didn't want to shell out a lot of money for an experiment.

Winthrop Holsters is based near Cleveland, OH. Of all the reviews I could find, most of the negative one's were from people who didn't actually have one, but hold the opinion that instead of spending $60 or so - shipped - on an experiment,,, to see if you like something,,, apply that money toward a VMII or TT gunleather or insert high quality, well known leather holster maker name here, and improve your chances of being happy with your purchase. I 100% agree with this position, but,,,, I have a wife, son, house, car, sports fees.......... I know you get it. So I thought I'd give it a try.

Winthrop stocks mostly black holsters. They probably have some brown and some trimmed out this way or that. But I wanted brown and had to "special order" it. I called them on the phone and they sent me a PayPal invoice via email which I paid right off the bat. That was easy. I was told special orders generally take about 3-4 weeks to fill. No problem, I paid and waited.

My order came as estimated, 3 weeks +- a couple days. So far so good. As I said, I've never had a fully leather holster so these thoughts are from a regular guy, without years of leather experience.

First, everything about it was stiff as heck. I expected this because I watched quite a few of their YouTube vids and read the FAQ and break in instructions before ordering. I did the plastic bag method of "stretching" the leather and performed lots of draws while sitting in front of the tube. It's still pretty tight around my P226, but it has become quite a bit more compliant since it arrived about 3-4 weeks ago. I don't know if they all come with a sweat shield or not, but mine did. I've noticed that when I'm holstering my P226, the de-cocker hangs up on the sweat shield if I'm not paying attention to how I insert the pistol. This is a pretty minor complaint and I don't see a way around it, but,,, there it is. The quality of the workmanship seems high. My sig fits nicely, retention is, duh, pretty high. The stitching seems very well done, with zero loose ends, frayed areas or rough patches (something that might be uncomfortable against the skin). I found it to be comfortable from the very first time I put it on, carrying it in the 330-400 position. If you are wondering, I'm 511, 265. I'm adding that because when I see a holster that's "curved to fit your body" and someone explains how well it fits them, I always wonder their approximate stature.

Now, you will need some blue locktite. That's not a complaint, but once you find how / where you want to wear it, you don't want those screws holding the straps in place to loosen up,,,, which they will. * I have two complaints *:

1- As I mentioned above, the entire holster was very stiff when it arrived. Including the belt straps. I found that the belt strap snaps would un-snap while in use. Sometimes I'd notice right away (I'd hear it), sometimes I'd notice when I got home and took it off. I called Winthrop and told them they apparently forgot to use the one-way pull snaps on this one. The lady was nice and explained that those cost extra and that they'd be happy to send me a new set of belt straps with the one way snaps on them for $18, shipped. I don't know if that's a good price or not, and I don't care really. The reason I expected the one way snaps was because in one of Mr. Winthrop's YouTube videos, he struggled with unsnapping a snap,, then realized he needed to pull in the correct direction and went on to say "we use" pull-the-dot or one way snaps. He didn't say "for an extra X$, you can get..."

2- I was a little aggravated and canceled the PayPal invoice they sent me (for the new straps). I also emailed them, told them why I expected the one way snaps and included the link to the specific video I'd watched. That was on October 15th. I have not heard anything back.

I'm still mildly annoyed, BUT, I have remedied the problem with the snaps coming apart. I took the straps off of the holster, and spent an hour or two (I don't really recall how long, you do this until it's done) massaging leather dubbing (conditioner) into the straps. I worked the leather back and forth, twisted it up, creased them every way I could until they were very soft and pliable. Then I reinstalled them and used a bit of blue locktite. The result is excellent! The snaps stay in place and I saved $18. I don't like not hearing back from customer service, and I don't like the somewhat misleading video, but I do very much like the holster.

So, yes, I'd recommend this holster to a friend. I'd really like to try a VMII someday, and I'm sure I will, but for now, this is a pretty decent budget minded leather holster.

I hope some of you find this helpful.

Take care!

Winthrop 001.JPGWinthrop 002.JPGWinthrop 003.JPGWinthrop 007.JPGWinthrop 008.JPG
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Couple more pics. Sorry about the strange lighting.

Winthrop 004.JPGWinthrop 005.JPGWinthrop 006.JPG
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Cool

Nice pics and nice job on the build. You did very well sir.

I buy my holsters already built as I have very few leather skills.

I follow the manufactures suggestion (High Noon) of placing the handgun in a plastic bag and then putting it into the holster for a break in fit not using any oils or creams.

Image 2.jpgImage 1.jpgImage 4.jpgImage 3.jpg
    click image to enlarge.....

Regards,

FlaRon
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

Hi FlaRon,

Sorry if I wasn't clear,, this is a store bought holster from Winthropholsters.com . I find it tough to make an egg sandwich! let alone a leather holster. My craft skills are waaay down there!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kmjjack View Post
    Hi FlaRon,

Sorry if I wasn't clear,, this is a store bought holster from Winthropholsters.com . I find it tough to make an egg sandwich! let alone a leather holster. My craft skills are waaay down there!
    I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and don't always understand rain when it hits me on the head.

Thanks for being there for our Marines kmjjack !

Thanks now for being the voice on the end of the line for LEO.

Ron
    kmjjack likes this.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

I've noticed that when I'm holstering my P226, the de-cocker hangs up on the sweat shield if I'm not paying attention to how I insert the pistol. This is a pretty minor complaint and I don't see a way around it, but,,,
    That's a problem with holsters that have an unreinforced, narrow 'flap' sticking well about the holster mouth. With even a small amount of "padding" above the beltline, that sweat shield flap will inevitably soften and lean outward, getting in the way of the muzzle when re-holstering.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    That's a problem with holsters that have an unreinforced, narrow 'flap' sticking well about the holster mouth. With even a small amount of "padding" above the beltline, that sweat shield flap will inevitably soften and lean outward, getting in the way of the muzzle when re-holstering.

Well, I can definitely see that happening as hit softenens with use. I'll deal with it when it becomes too big an annoyance. I guess I'll just trim it off to some extent.

Wow I have the exact same model.....of socks. Hey it's my day off so I'm goofing off ok.

Links