Will Kydex eventually weaken if....

This is a discussion on Will Kydex eventually weaken if.... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Disclaimer: I'm not new to firearms, but I am new to carrying. I've ordered my SHTF Gear holster, and while I suppose I could wait ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hatrix

Thread: Will Kydex eventually weaken if....

Will Kydex eventually weaken if....

Disclaimer: I'm not new to firearms, but I am new to carrying.
    I've ordered my SHTF Gear holster, and while I suppose I could wait and see before I ask this, but I would like to know what other people have experienced.
    I'm going to assume for now that I'll carry at 4:00. It's where my gun sits under my belt right now around the house, to and from the car, and when I open carry on my property. It feels good there. I'm going to assume that won't change when my holster arrives unless for some reason the holster feels better at another position.

How many people who have IWB's around that position leave the gun holstered while driving? How many take it out and place it on the seat next to them, in the glovebox, or console of the vehicle?
    And my big question: of the people who unholster while in the vehicle, have any Kydex holsters been mis-shapened or warped or otherwise damaged from it being pressed against a seat with no gun inside to keep it formed?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I can't drive comfortably with a gun at 4:00. As for an empty holster iwb, I find all of them to become uncomfortable in short order. I carry at 3:00 and leave the gun there.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

If you take it out and place it on the seat, it becomes a projectile if you have a crash..........

Smokey

I haven't had any issues with my Kydex holster becoming mashed or misshapen. I wear mine in the 2:30-3:30 position all the time, and am a big guy, so when I get in the car, I remove the weapon and slide it into a holster mounted on the side of the center console by my right leg. The holster on my hip is always squashed up against the center console and has never been deformed yet.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

I'll add this... Make sure you're buying a quality holster from a company that uses good thick Kydex, and you should have nothing to worry about. I've come across a few lesser known makers who were using thinner Kydex and their stuff looked flimsy as heck.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmokey View Post
    If you take it out and place it on the seat, it becomes a projectile if you have a crash..........

Smokey
    Yup. And that's why Virginia changed the law to allow for people WITHOUT permits to put a gun, loaded or not, into the glovebox.
    Gotta love our Attorney General for that one.

Short answer-- No, not in my experience with good quality kydex.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

SHTF Gear makes a great holster. Deformation is not an issue, unless you plan to sit on a hot plate for an extended period of time. I wear mine at an 8:00 to 9:00 position and have no problems at all. I agree with the idea of removing my gun upon vehicle entry and place it in a holster attached to my center console. For short trips (anything less than an hour) I just leave my gun in the holster with no issues whatsoever.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Links