Need IWB Holster for Kahr CW9

This is a discussion on Need IWB Holster for Kahr CW9 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I am shopping for a good IWB holster for a Kahr CW9. So far I've narrowed it down to these three: Garrett Silent ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need IWB Holster for Kahr CW9

Hi all,

I am shopping for a good IWB holster for a Kahr CW9. So far I've narrowed it down to these three:

Garrett Silent Thunder
    Tucker Gunleather Cover Up
    Comp-Tac CTAC

I need something I can get reasonably quick but good quality. I'm not interested in full Kydex.

About 90% of the year, I wear only short sleeve pull-over shirts so it needs to work good in hot weather.

Any recommendations or comments appreciated

Sponsor
    I certainly can't say anything bad about the ones that you mentioned and they all seem to get positive reviews.

However, have you considered an SHTF Gear ACE-1 Holster?

You can find one for the CW9 Here.

Kahr P9, CW9 ACE-1 Holster

Thanks!
    Clay
    Attached Images

Thanks I'll check it out.

JMB,
    You say you aren't interested in Full Kydex, but the Silent Thunder IS a full Kydex holster, granted it is lined with leather, but the holster itself is Kydex as are the attacments.
    Same goes for the C-Tac, it's a Kydex holster, just has leather "wings" with the attachment points.(the Minotaur is a hybrid)

If you're looking at hybrid holsters, then Clay's SHTF's have good reviews, as do Alien Gears/Old Faithfulls (rumored to be the same company) and Kholsters (not to mention Cross Breeds) along with a number of other makers.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorflyr View Post
    JMB,
    You say you aren't interested in Full Kydex, but the Silent Thunder IS a full Kydex holster, granted it is lined with leather, but the holster itself is Kydex as are the attacments.
    Same goes for the C-Tac, it's a Kydex holster, just has leather "wings" with the attachment points.

If you're looking at hybrid holsters, then Clay's SHTF's have good reviews, as do Alien Gears/Old Faithfulls (rumored to be the same company) and Kholsters (not to mention Cross Breeds) along with a number of other makers.
    Yeah you're right about the CTAC. By full kydex, I mean all like say Bladetech. I understand the construction of the Garrett, I had one for a Commander at one time.

Have you used any of the holsters you mentioned?

I have an Alien Gear for my CW9, it works pretty well.

Not one of the ones you've narrowed it to but I have a Concealment Solutions micro Mamba for my PM9. FWIW there is a YouTube vid of mamba vs crossbreed super tuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    Yeah you're right about the CTAC. By full kydex, I mean all like say Bladetech. I understand the construction of the Garrett, I had one for a Commander at one time.

Have you used any of the holsters you mentioned?
    I don't see much of a difference between the Garrett (which I've used and like) and the Bladetech in respect to being kydex, to me they are both full kydex holsters.

As for the others, the Kholster is the only hybrid I have experiance with, it's ok, nothing special really, but I got it cheap and it works ok, so was worth checking out.

If I were looking at another hybrid, I'd probably check out the Alien gear (low price and good reviews) and if I was looking for a non kydex/non leather I'd look at the n82 holsters (varied price depending on model and also good reviews).

Honestly though, I tend to lean towards all leather holsters.

*edit* I do know someone who's used Old Faithfull holsters and at one time bought a buch of material from them to make his own/some for people he knew, before finding a wholesaler to deal with. He liked their stuff for it's worth.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Holster fit and comfort is a pretty subjective thing; what works for me might not work for someone else. That said I have three Garrett IWB holsters (for my HK P30S, HK USPf9 and Beretta Nano) and really love them all. They're rock solid and stay right where you put them and I find them very comfortable. The kydex allows them to hold their shape and not collapse when you remove your gun making it really easy to re-holster. And the leather lining makes them nearly silent. I'd recommend them very highly.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Lots of brands to consider.

Thanks

"As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    I love CTACs, if you live in a place that gets rather warm it's my favorite way to go. Can't go wrong with them. Comp-Tac also has excellent customer service, and don't forget, they send you a roll of smarties. They even include an allen wrench for adjustment. Most of my holsters are Comp-Tacs. (2 CTACs, a paddle holster, an MTAC, a Minotaur Gladiator, an International, and most of my mag pouches). The other serious carry holsters are Galcos (2x).

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    Hi all,

I am shopping for a good IWB holster for a Kahr CW9. So far I've narrowed it down to these three:

Garrett Silent Thunder
    Tucker Gunleather Cover Up
    Comp-Tac CTAC

I need something I can get reasonably quick but good quality. I'm not interested in full Kydex.

About 90% of the year, I wear only short sleeve pull-over shirts so it needs to work good in hot weather.

Any recommendations or comments appreciated
    If you want simple and slim, go with a Versacarry. $20 well spent.

DSCF8310_zpsdd85db68.jpg DSCF8311_zpscbdb54aa.jpg DSCF8314_zpsda307d89.jpg

Very simple to use. Insert the barrel plug at 45 degrees, and clip gun onto waistband or belt. If gun is drawn, just unclip the versacarry, clip it back onto the gun, and insert back onto belt. This is pretty much the slimmest, lightest IWB holster I've seen short of a "trigger cover" or "TC" holster, like the GlockTech MIC holsters.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

A few years ago I bought a Cover Up Plus (used) and I sold it in just a few days .... may be it was just an isolated bad example, the kydex clips could not keep the holster in place. It was just not for me. YMMV.

I have been using a Milt Sparks VMII for the CW9 fod some time and it meets all my expectation for a leather IWB, I occasionally carry a CM9 in it too... although most time the CM9 is either in a Remora pocket holster or in a Mitch Rosen CLP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links