Milt Sparks holster question

This is a discussion on Milt Sparks holster question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like my Summer special holster the way it carries my Glock however I just don't like the leather snaps. Very hard to snap on ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By JD
  • 3 Post By QKShooter
  • 2 Post By Maxwell47

Thread: Milt Sparks holster question

I like my Summer special holster the way it carries my Glock however I just don't like the leather snaps. Very hard to snap on or slide a belt through. Is there a place to get the add on kydex clips other then the sparks company. Thinking abt maybe trying larger sparks leather snaps also however I just don't like the way they stick out beyond the belt and print through clothes. Any ideas...
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

JD
    Administrator
    So why not just get the clips for your Sparks holster from Sparks?

Sent via Tapatalk and still using real words.

The clips have not been the best lately I ordered the big ones an still had the problem eventually switched to a 1.25" belt from blocker an no more probs.

Administrator
    From The Milt Sparks Web Site.
    all credit to Milt Sparks Holsters.
    http://www.miltsparks.com/

What are one-way snaps and how do they work?
    One-way or directional snaps are used on most of our belt attachments as a means to keep pressure exerted from the inside edge of the belt from inadvertently undoing the snap.
    If you look inside the female snap you will see a small tab of metal that appears to trap the coil spring inside. That tab is the locking mechanism of the one-way snap. When the snap is snapped shut, the tab in the female cap will not allow the male snap to lever itself through the coil spring at the point of the tab, thus releasing the snap. The one-way snap can only be disengaged by outside pressure on the side of the snap opposite from the side where the above mentioned tab is located.
    To work the snap, the side of the snap with the tab located inside the female cap, must be engaged onto the male snap first by angling the female snap at that point to engage it. Then to complete the closure, you roll the female snap over the male snap till it clicks shut. Basically, the tab on the female snap will always be located on the side of the snap where the belt will come into contact with it. All our IWB holster loops are snapped towards the top of the holster, so you will generally roll the snap from the bottom up. On a holster like the Axiom where you pull the straps down to snap them, you will roll the one-way snap from the top down. Any confusion on this can be resolved by looking in the female cap to see where the tab is located. That side of the snap always gets engaged onto the male snap first.
    If you don't engage and close the snaps properly, the snaps may appear to be closed, but will pop open unexpectedly. If that happens, you can be sure that you are not closing them properly. If this happens to you, you might want to read the above description again just to make sure you fully understand the function of the one-way snap. If all else fails, you can always call the shop for guidance.
    Tips for breaking in new snaps is as follows. A light smear of a lubricating wax on the rim of the male snap will make the snap much easier to open and close. Renaissance wax works good as does Johnson Paste wax, or probably any car wax for that matter. A light smear of machine oil on the male snap will work to lubricate the snap as well.
    Until the leather loops get broke in, you might find it easier to pre-snap the loops and physically string your belt through the closed loops as opposed to fighting with the snaps. Our holster loops are meant to fit snug on belts of our manufacture and until the leather of the loops loosens up a bit, you might find it hard to angle the female snap properly to engage the male snap. No worries, time will take care of that.
    Of course any questions pertaining to any of the above can easily be rectified by a call to the shop.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    From The Milt Sparks Web Site.
    all credit to Milt Sparks Holsters.
    Milt Sparks Holsters

What are one-way snaps and how do they work?
    One-way or directional snaps are used on most of our belt attachments as a means to keep pressure exerted from the inside edge of the belt from inadvertently undoing the snap.
    If you look inside the female snap you will see a small tab of metal that appears to trap the coil spring inside. That tab is the locking mechanism of the one-way snap. When the snap is snapped shut, the tab in the female cap will not allow the male snap to lever itself through the coil spring at the point of the tab, thus releasing the snap. The one-way snap can only be disengaged by outside pressure on the side of the snap opposite from the side where the above mentioned tab is located.
    To work the snap, the side of the snap with the tab located inside the female cap, must be engaged onto the male snap first by angling the female snap at that point to engage it. Then to complete the closure, you roll the female snap over the male snap till it clicks shut. Basically, the tab on the female snap will always be located on the side of the snap where the belt will come into contact with it. All our IWB holster loops are snapped towards the top of the holster, so you will generally roll the snap from the bottom up. On a holster like the Axiom where you pull the straps down to snap them, you will roll the one-way snap from the top down. Any confusion on this can be resolved by looking in the female cap to see where the tab is located. That side of the snap always gets engaged onto the male snap first.
    If you don't engage and close the snaps properly, the snaps may appear to be closed, but will pop open unexpectedly. If that happens, you can be sure that you are not closing them properly. If this happens to you, you might want to read the above description again just to make sure you fully understand the function of the one-way snap. If all else fails, you can always call the shop for guidance.
    Tips for breaking in new snaps is as follows. A light smear of a lubricating wax on the rim of the male snap will make the snap much easier to open and close. Renaissance wax works good as does Johnson Paste wax, or probably any car wax for that matter. A light smear of machine oil on the male snap will work to lubricate the snap as well.
    Until the leather loops get broke in, you might find it easier to pre-snap the loops and physically string your belt through the closed loops as opposed to fighting with the snaps. Our holster loops are meant to fit snug on belts of our manufacture and until the leather of the loops loosens up a bit, you might find it hard to angle the female snap properly to engage the male snap. No worries, time will take care of that.
    Of course any questions pertaining to any of the above can easily be rectified by a call to the shop.

Richard58,

I was going to post the same thing. I have 2 Milt Sparks VM2 and the snaps do take some getting used to. With a little practice now I can put on and take off mine even sitting in a vehicle; though it is much easier standing. Practice bottom first and pivot the snap into place on the top. They are great holsters but like anything, it is how you use them.

Max
    QKShooter and 357and40 like this.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Yea, I have 4 or 5 of their holsters and once you learn how to snap them it's easy.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Some belts are thicker than others, making it difficult to snap....... and MS has forewarned about it. I have a RafterS belt and it is not a good match with MS holsters.... I always use a different belt when I carry a MS rig.

I have Beltman 1.5 inch belts and they thread through just fine. I don't bother with unsnapping but as stated, after a few cycles, they get easier to unsnap.

VIP Member
    I agree with all on the posts on how to snap, but to answer the OP, go to crossbreed or SHTF. They have them.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Links