New IWB doesn't cover thumb safety

This is a discussion on New IWB doesn't cover thumb safety within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the search for a holster my wife will actually wear, I recently ordered a new IWB from The Well Armed Woman. It's a model ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New IWB doesn't cover thumb safety

In the search for a holster my wife will actually wear, I recently ordered a new IWB from The Well Armed Woman. It's a model made by Cook's Holsters here in GA who I have ordered several others from. I just received it this week and started to play with it when I noticed something that bothers me a little. She has a Sig P938 that has a thumb safety on it. The problem is that the holster doesn't completely cover the thumb safety. The other IWB that I have from Cook's covers the thumb safety completely, but this new one doesn't. I don't have any pictures of the coverage yet, but here are links to the two holsters. Should I be concerned with this?

Doesn't cover safety

Covers safety

Is the safety likely to get switched on during normal movement? Thats the only thing I'd worry about. If I draw to fire, I don't want my safety on by mistake... My holsters cover the trigger, so I definitely have no need for a safety to be on.

I have no holster that covers my safety... but I really see no way it can be flipped by accident... but your gun may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson44546 View Post
    Is the safety likely to get switched on during normal movement? Thats the only thing I'd worry about. If I draw to fire, I don't want my safety on by mistake... My holsters cover the trigger, so I definitely have no need for a safety to be on.

I have no holster that covers my safety... but I really see no way it can be flipped by accident... but your gun may vary.
    IMHO if you have a manual safety on your carry gun you need to train to disengage the safety when drawing,otherwise you may end up trying to pull the trigger in a SD situation and end up dead before your brain processes why your gun won't shoot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I don't like having the thumb safety covered. I can flip off the safety simultaneously when I grip the gun to draw, it takes virtually no extra time (with practice). Covering the safety would slow the draw imo. Since I have a safety, I always use it and practice with it.
    ironmike86 and Ksgunner like this.

If she uses the safety, it is not an issue. If she does not train & practice to use the manual safety, the holster is a huge liability.

Unless she always uses the manual safety, sell it, or toss it. "Stuff Happens".... usually according to Murphy's law and there is no way to predict what movement may affect a manual safety.
    Personally, I would never own a sidearm with a manual safety, it is an accident waiting to happen. There are enough unforeseen variables waiting to happen without living with a known 'potential problem' in the mega-stress of a 6 second, life or death situation.

I would suggest replacing the sidearm with one having no external safety from the factory since 'using' a modified sidearm is a lame way to land in court.
    If the safety is on there, Murphy's Law can activate it... even if it only happens once, we all know when it will be.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    If she uses the safety, it is not an issue. If she does not train & practice to use the manual safety, the holster is a huge liability.

Unless she always uses the manual safety, sell it, or toss it. "Stuff Happens".... usually according to Murphy's law and there is no way to predict what movement may affect a manual safety.
    Personally, I would never own a sidearm with a manual safety, it is an accident waiting to happen. There are enough unforeseen variables waiting to happen without living with a known 'potential problem' in the mega-stress of a 6 second, life or death situation.

I would suggest replacing the sidearm with one having no external safety from the factory since 'using' a modified sidearm is a lame way to land in court.
    If the safety is on there, Murphy's Law can activate it... even if it only happens once, we all know when it will be.
    Forgive me if I have misunderstood but, are you implying that a pistol with a manual safety is inherently unsafe? That it is in effect a "known" defect?

Respectfully, I would have to disagree. A manual safety is not "an accident waiting to happen". An untrained or unpracticed user of a manual safety is.

OP,

I prefer a body shield on all of my holsters, mostly to protect the firearm from sweat. I have found that most holster makers offer this as either standard or possibly an odd on for a minor up-charge. Talk to your vendor and see what they can do for either an exchange or refund. Customer satisfaction is key to repeat business.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I'm sure you can get a refund. But you knew what you were buying? Theres a pic.No sweat shield and you can see it won't cover the safety from the pic. But why do you think the safety will be disengaged? Unload your gun cock and lock it. Put it in the holster and try to replicate bumping the safety off. Not that easy. Even with the safety off you still need to pull the trigger. If you need it covered simply ask to return it.

Quote Originally Posted by 88keys View Post
    I don't like having the thumb safety covered. I can flip off the safety simultaneously when I grip the gun to draw, it takes virtually no extra time (with practice). Covering the safety would slow the draw imo. Since I have a safety, I always use it and practice with it.
    This^^^

safety on safety off that is the question JMO but if you train with a gun with a safety flicking it off is no biggie. It just become an automatic part of the draw.

Leaving it off and not training to disengage it with every draw is asking for trouble though even if you carry it with the safety off.

Ive owned a lot of both styles over the years. Just as fast with one or the other.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Holy smokes, "disengaging the safety WHILE drawing"?!!! We holster makers are counting on you to disengage the safety AFTER drawing and before you come on target.

If anyone is switching off the safety when you need it most -- during the draw and your finger is reaching for the trigger, which has been covered all this time -- then he/she is begging for an injury. Wait until the darned thing is pointed somewhere besides your body, please!! Even an AD into the dirt in front of you will get you tossed off a pistol range, much less earlier and into your pelvis. Geez.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

PPL are taught both ways. Safety off when draw. Draw clear body and take safety off. Practice what you do. IMO its no different then carrying a striker fire
    gun. Finger always off the trigger. If you practice it will be like muscle memory. PPl just don't practice what they are going to do.

I carry appendix and my holster does not cover the safety. I Have brushed up against hard objects and only once did it dis engage the safety. My firearm has a trigger safety also, and the holster completely covers trigger guard. It is a striker fire. My suggestion.. dryfire practice or better yet use Snapcaps.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Quote Originally Posted by bdbull View Post
    The problem is that the holster doesn't completely cover the thumb safety. Should I be concerned with this?
    A trigger can be unintentionally pulled or snag on something prior to unholstering.
    A magazine release can be unintentionally pressed or bump up against something prior to unholstering.
    A manual thumb safety can be unintentionally flipped or hang up on something prior to unholstering.
    A sidearm doesn't reliably get held in the holster under certain movements or activities.

To the extent you don't want such things to occur, IMO yes they are important factors when selecting a holster. Fitment matters, in these ways.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I disengage the safety on my 1911 at the low ready position during my draw, after the muzzle has cleared my body and is pointing down range at the target. I learned this technique from watching a you tube video, and it seems to be very effective.

I contacted Bob of Cook's Holsters (they make this holster for the Well Armed Woman) about this. Bob is a great guy to work with and makes quality stuff. I sent him an email Sunday morning and he responded within minutes. He said the design is to not cover the safety entirely. Below is his reply:

It is designed to not cover the entire safety. The retention is designed to be lower on these units. The slides are not completely covered to keep from possibly poking the user. The bottom part of the safety is covered and will still prevent it from moving.
    I guess I'll see if my wife is ok with it and then go from there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links