Kydex and stainless steel

This is a discussion on Kydex and stainless steel within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a Ruger SR1911 CMD on its way and I've been looking for holsters. I'm really interested in the Alien Gear IWB. My only ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Kydex and stainless steel

I've got a Ruger SR1911 CMD on its way and I've been looking for holsters. I'm really interested in the Alien Gear IWB. My only concern is the kydex contact on my stainless steel gun. Has this caused a problem for anyone?

In a word, "No". I use kydex almost exclusively, and I have never noticed any problem with any gun whether stainless or not.
    Anubis likes this.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    In a word, "No". I use kydex almost exclusively, and I have never noticed any problem with any gun whether stainless or not.
    +1 on this. I use kydex from Panther Concealment exclusively and have never had any issues.
    ginzo likes this.

All of my holsters are kydex for my carry guns. because it is a carry gun, Finish wear from use is not a concern of mine. The bad guy isnt going to be less dead because their was finish wear on frame edges from practicing. IMO, if you get a gun a gun that wear will bother you if it happens, it isnt a good carry gun for you. You need to practice drawing from concealment, and that requires you to remove and insert the gun in a holster repeatedly. I have noticed no additional wear from kydex when compared to leather though.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by haldermand View Post
    I've got a Ruger SR1911 CMD on its way and I've been looking for holsters. I'm really interested in the Alien Gear IWB. My only concern is the kydex contact on my stainless steel gun. Has this caused a problem for anyone?
    stainless steel has a higher hardness index than kydex plastic. You're more likely to scratch up the plastic than the steel. Also, stainless is very easy to unscuff with a little sand paper, and if the finish is mirrored, then a little polish and buffing after the sanding.
    "brushed stainless" is just steel sanded down to about #400 to #600 grit.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

ShooterGranny likes this.

Sponsor
    Any holster, if used properly(practice, practice, practice!) will wear the finish of your gun. Stainless will show wear the least of any.

I have been told that the alloy framed S&W revolvers with a black finish show wear marks if you look at them cross eyed. My single revolver is stainless steel so I can't say whether or not this absolutely true.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

If your gun is black and wear bothers you, that's what duracoat and cerakote are made for. :)
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    If your gun is black and wear bothers you, that's what duracoat and cerakote are made for. :)
    Are Duracoat/Cerakote all that resilient against wear? If so, how much more so than the regular blued finish on let's say a S&W M&P or Glock?

I first heard about the material when a friend of mine got the slide on his Kel-Tec PF-9 Duracoated. He absolutely loves that gun and the finish on the slide was completely worn after years of use. I wonder though, won't the Duracoat, like the original blued finish, wear off in a couple year's time anyway?

They are a spray-on ceramic finish. They are very wear resistent, although I meant that if your finish does wear off, it's easy to make them black again with a $35 DIY Duracoat kit. Most companies have their own name for whatever coatings they use, lie my Walther uses "Tennifer" if I recall.. or something similar, but it's got a few spots on the barrel that are wearing, so I've actually just been considering TiN coating the barrel after bead blasting it to bare metal. Give the barrel a burnished gold finish. Anyway, plenty of very hard coating options for firearms. TiAN is similar to TiN (Titanium Nitride) but give s a grey finish instead of gold, and is something like 3X harder than a Carbide finish, and is about 4-5 microns thick.

Oh, also if the finish ever does wear off, you can always just re-coat it. Duracoat can be done in nearly any color, too.. including camo and other multi-color patterns.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Tools get a "patina" when you use them. The resale value of the Colt on the left does not matter to me, and i don't take it with me for "show and tell"
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

My kydex holsters did not leave any wear on my stainless guns, but I also don't worry too much about my EDC guns.

Cerakote is a much more durable finish than Duracoat. There are a lot of tests that you can find online showing the difference. A blued finish doesn't really protect that well in my experience. I have a Browning Maxus that I take waterfowl hunting. One day hunting on the by the sea shore and it showed surfact rust spots. I had the gun coated in Cerakote and 3 years later after several dozen trips to the same sea shore, the finish looks like the day I had it first coated. The only spots that show wear are on the inside due to the action cycling.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

eracoat, like powder coating, is baked on with heat, whereas duracoat is air dried, which is why duracoat is available as a DIY kit wihtout the need for an oven. Dura you can do yourself. Cera you pretty much need to take to a dealer to do. Depends what you want to spend as much as the finish duration you desire.

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    I know some, well a lot of people worry about the finish on their guns. I myself feel that a little wear on a gun shows that you know how to use it. My slide is brushed stainless, and the high spots on it are shiny in places. It's been in and out of my Theis holster a lot.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links