Remora irritating skin

Remora irritating skin

This is a discussion on Remora irritating skin within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wear my (modified) Remora holster against my skin and I'm very happy with it. BUT...the rubbery dots have irritated the crap out of my ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PEF

Thread: Remora irritating skin

Remora irritating skin

I wear my (modified) Remora holster against my skin and I'm very happy with it.

BUT...the rubbery dots have irritated the crap out of my skin. It's red, flakey, scratchey and on it's way to being a problem.

So I'm taking a few days off from carrying because it's the only complete concealment holster (no clips to show) and I can't be spotted due to where I work (legal but lots of objection I'm sure).

Anyone else finding significant skin irritaton?

No issues here. Have you tried it with a t-shirt between you and your holster?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Pictures or it didn't happen!!!

Just kidding. Seriously, I believe you. Don't prove it.

It's called Remora Rash.

Wash the remora with soap and water. Or better yet, wear a t-shirt between the the synthetic grippy surface and your skin.
    Kennydale likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    Yes - wash the holster. You can wash it every day if needed. Be sure to rinse and dry and then also let air dry. Use liquid castile soap with tea tree oil. Do not soak the holster......just use minimum water to do the surface, but be sure to rinse a couple of times.

Tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic so will help keep "germs" from growing on the surface of the holster.

If this doesn't work, it is possible that you are allergic to the rubberized holster material. Personally, my Remora doesn't stay in place too well if it is not next to my skin, but Gramps wears his over a tee shirt without much problem.

Hope this helps somewhat.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I never experienced this with my Remora's but I agree with giving it a wash and wearing an undershirt. I would also suggest you take a look at the Telor Tactical Comfort Air Bodyband. I have one for a BG380 and also one for my S&W 642 J frame. They work great and are by far the most comfortable method of carry I have found.

Comfort-Air Bodyband Gun Holster - Chest & Waist | Telor Tactical

Good Luck
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

telor tactical

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    Very interesting. That's a more sophisticated version of the modifications that I made to my Remora. Basically I've been wearing it as an IWB *with a belt*, the belt being something I made. And it works quite well and absolutely nothing shows.

I'm gonna get one.

Quote Originally Posted by codan View Post
    Very interesting. That's a more sophisticated version of the modifications that I made to my Remora. Basically I've been wearing it as an IWB *with a belt*, the belt being something I made. And it works quite well and absolutely nothing shows.

I'm gonna get one.
    You're going to love it. It will not irritate your skin whatsoever. Tell Mr. Leverett (The Owner) that Chris from Wayne, MI sent you. Who knows he may even throw you a discount.
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Links