Off-body - tell me if I'm being dumb

This is a discussion on Off-body - tell me if I'm being dumb within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, so I tried something new today. My place of employment bans guns, and due to the nature of my work, carrying against policy really ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Off-body - tell me if I'm being dumb

Okay, so I tried something new today. My place of employment bans guns, and due to the nature of my work, carrying against policy really is not possible. So, if I'm to carry at all on a workday, I have to leave my weapon in the car. To this point I've gotten by with pocket carry of my LCR, which works but not all that well, as I have to get the gun out of my pocket when I get to the lot and back in when I leave, without looking like I'm handling a gun. Plus, drawing from a pocket while seated in a car is difficult. I can't see a way to make IWB work with tucked shirts, without getting half-undressed in the car. I considered an ankle holster, so that I could surreptitiously remove it and stick it under the seat, but that seems like a slow draw when walking.

So, I purchased a small case meant for a tablet/iPad, with a shoulder strap. The interior compartment is open, lined with soft fabric, and free of anything that might catch to a handgun. I adjusted the strap to go over my head, so the case is hanging left shoulder to right hip. The case has an easily-opened flap; I practiced drawing, and it was immediately faster than I ever have been from a pocket (unless my hand was already in the pocket). In the car, I can simply take it off as needed, without looking like anything more worrisome than an iPad dork with a man-purse, and still have the weapon with me when driving and running errands, etc after work.

Now, as I understand it, there are two big arguments against such arrangements. One is that the case could be easily snatched, which I think is mitigated by having the strap going across the body, though of course I'll have to keep up my SA. The other is that people are likely to leave such things lying around and possibly forget them. I believe this can be avoided by attitude - I'm thinking of the thing as a holster, not a tablet case or bag or man-purse. I'll store nothing in it but the weapon and, in a separate compartment, spare ammo. Except for the times it must be locked in the car, it will stay on my body at all times - it will not be taken off, say, when seated at a restaurant, any more than I'd take off a holstered gun.

So my question is: what am I missing? Are there pitfalls to this approach? Are there, perhaps, other options that might work better? Thanks in advance for the help.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Is it illegal to have the gun in your car at work? I ask because here a company cannot ban a weapon in a vehicle on their property. If its not why not just use an IWB holster leave the gun in the car but keep the holster on, then put the gun back in it when you get back in the car????

I dont think there is anywhere the carry of a empty holster is or can be prohibited any more than the carry of a cell phone case with no cell phone in it.

Just a thought. Off body beats nothing but not by much.
    robhic likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

IDK man, I could never bring myself to carry a Murse. If you can get past that, all the power to you.

To me, it seems that you have worked out some of the details pretty well.

My question is, if it's only at work that you can't carry, why not just leave your gun in a holster in the car in either the glove box, center console, etc? Once you've left work, if you have to go somewhere other than home, clip the holster into your pants, and keep goin.

Or try the sneaky pete. SneakyPete

It's not as…interesting…as a Murse, and it's plenty effective. Easy on and easy off, throw it on a car seat and it's still technically concealed. It looks just like a phone case, so it won't be alarming to anybody who sees you putting it on.
    313 likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

SA will be key it would be easy to go by on a bike with a knife and there goes your gun..Concealed-Carry Briefcase : Cabela's this be good no slash strap . You do want somthing made for a gun if you can they tend to be made to draw easier and harder to take from you , plus a holster in it .

If you want easy on and off . Maybe a holster jacket just take if off in car no holster to deal with and you could draw from it when driving Coronado Antiqued Cognac Cowhide – Regular : Cabela's somthing like this ?

That seems to be the best bet get a jacket and keep the gun in it and take it off in car it is on you and ready to go . Plus Minnesota so jackets work .

Also they seem to have lot of bags with holster in them here GUN CONCEALMENT LEATHER Products ,and there is the cell phone holster Amazon.com: Ruger LC9 Sneaky Pete Holster (Belt Loop): Sports & Outdoors . But you need to put the gun and out of it .

SO all that said I get a carry jacket it would be the easit of it all imop.. Just make sure it does not scream tac 1 opperator too much ..

Doesn't sound like a terrible plan. My take on the potential negatives:
    1) Without proper holster, orientation of gun could move within case, making draw difficult/slow.
    2) If you leave in sight in a car, becomes a theft magnet. Bonus when cretins get iGun rather than iPad...
    3) Act of removing to leave in car is visible to those outside - eg "he's leaving something valuable there" (another theft magnet).
    4) potential for printing thru case?
    5) being solicited by those who notice your purse matches your shoes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    BadgerJ and maxwell97 like this.

Distinguished Member
    My first thought was the same as # 2 above. I pad is a theft magnet. If you want to leave it in the car put it in one of those cases with a lock cable. A little work with a drill would secure your weapon nicely. Also if you just leave on your IWB holster but put the weapon in the case you have no undressing problem.
    Last edited by farsidefan1; November 19th, 2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: sp
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

I feel you, Maxwell97. Guns are forbidden by the employee handbook at my job and even if they weren't, I'm a chef. It would be extraordinarily impractical to carry a gun while on the line or working the pass! I too occasionally leave a gun in my truck. That might be a bit of a 'gray area' if I'm parked directly in the restaurant's parking lot but it's really unlikely to ever be an issue, plus I can park another 20 feet away and not be on company property at all. My solution for now has been to keep a Beretta Nano in a small [gasp!]waistpack. It's a Mountainsmith Vibe II, quite small and not at all man-pursey looking. It may not be the pinnacle of cool but it's a contemporary style and looks like something a runner or yuppie would have. Nothing much bigger than a Nano or maybe a J-frame would fit as it's quite small and not made for a gun but by serendipity it works well. My work attire is baggy chef pants and a chef coat so after work I lose the coat and just have my baggies and an under armor knock off shirt on. Think hospital scrubs if you don't know what chef pants look like. The fanny pack looks kind of normal in this get up.

I think that maybe something like the 3Speed holster might be even better. It's worn under your waistline inside the pants right at the front. You could leave it in the car and put it on fairly inconspicuously I think. One possible issue for you being in MN is the cold- if you park outside you might not be eager to stuff 20 oz of frozen steel down your pants!

Leaving a jacket in your car with the gun in the pocket might be best solution if you have a gun that's suitable for pocket carry. I'm thinking of going that route myself, just have to procure a J-frame or something like that.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

I work in a hospital, I carry my s&w shield in my lunch box while I'm at work. I say you do what you gotta do, so long as you know the ramifications if something doesn't go as planned.

VIP Member
    Just tell 'em it's a European carry-all!

Personally the case and shoulder strap seems like something that would be uncomfortable to me. I pocket carry everyday, and I agree it is difficult to draw while driving. Consider just keeping a pocket rig in your vehicle as a car gun, but put it in your pocket when you get out some place other than work. That solves the problem of trying to be unnoticed going to and from work in the parking lot.

I'm sure you can find some method that will work for you. Good luck.
    oneshot likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I guess the only pitfall is you standing in the unemployment line after getting fired for carrying a gun at work while your employer forbids it.
    Otherwise, hell of a plan.

As to the question of "am I being dumb"...
    Really? Do you really want us to answer that?
    farsidefan1 likes this.

Well sounds difficult. I would think if ever there was a need for a smaller gun this might be it. The S&W Bodyguard is very light mine has been flawless through 4 to 5 hundred rds. That way you can keep it in your pocket comfortably an keep a remora in car for crossdraw while driving. I would use fmj in it. Just my 2 cents. No stupid questions at least your taking action for your own safety.

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    I don't think that looking for a solution to this issue is being dumb. I use a Safepacker for such transition guns (I call them that because it's what I have transitioning from home to workplace and back) that is locked in a small fireproof box in the vehicle when I'm not in reach. It doesn't go any place but from house to vehicle and back, however. I don't wear it out and around. Exposure of the weapon to anyone else (usually not anybody around when I leave or return anyway) averages less than a minute either way.
    Echo_Four likes this.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

I'm not a guy but I hate carrying a purse and am new to the CC idea. I did breakdown and buy one of those cross body purses from GunTotnMamas and if you aren't used to carrying something slung across your body...make sure you practice a lot at home first. There's no policy at work and I intend to wear an IWB holster for my Sig 238 but I do occasionally go to school districts (I audit them - NOT IRS) and will have the Sig in my purse locked in a desk drawer while on site. I always schedule them ahead of time. Plus on the very rare occasions I wear a dress the purse works. I also have ordered one of those belly band things as I wear sweaters a lot and will test that out before going out in public. Also I found my iPad does not fit well under the seat of my Corolla so keep that in mind if trying to stuff that under a seat with the straps and all. Oh, and going to public bathrooms....luckily we ladies get stalls only so it's a little bit easier but there is still some shuffling around the thing hanging about you. Whatever your choice test it out at home with an unloaded gun first.

Quote Originally Posted by kriller1217 View Post
    I work in a hospital, I carry my s&w shield in my lunch box while I'm at work. I say you do what you gotta do, so long as you know the ramifications if something doesn't go as planned.
    Are you telling me you have control over your lunch box the entire time your there,Including if you go the the Restroom,if the answer is no,you may want to rethink your options
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MDof2 View Post
    I guess the only pitfall is you standing in the unemployment line after getting fired for carrying a gun at work while your employer forbids it.
    Otherwise, hell of a plan.

As to the question of "am I being dumb"...
    Really? Do you really want us to answer that?
    Did you even read what he wrote? He is doing this because he isn't going to carry at work where it is forbidden but wants to be able to easily carry at times during the work day when he isn't at work.

I will be happy to answer his question- he isn't being dumb at all.

Maxwell97, off body carry isn't ideal, but you already know that. Sometimes we have to make compromises to make things work in our lives. Sounds like you've weighed the pros and cons and have come to a solution you're comfortable with. In the end, that's all that matters.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links