Holster that doesn't protect the trigger - I'm I too cautious?

This is a discussion on Holster that doesn't protect the trigger - I'm I too cautious? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My son is getting a 3" Ruger SP101 for Christmas, so I thought I'd get him a OWB leather holster for him to go with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Holster that doesn't protect the trigger - I'm I too cautious?

VIP Member

My son is getting a 3" Ruger SP101 for Christmas, so I thought I'd get him a OWB leather holster for him to go with it. Nothing fancy - something he can scuff up in the woods with me, and not worry about. The problem is finding something "off the shelf" for a 3" SP101 is not easy.

The kid is already "old school" and doesn't care for the aesthetic of a pancake holster, so I'm thinking about something like this:

The problem is that I've always been insistent that all of our holsters must protect the trigger. In this case, the only sort of protection is the thumb strap holding the hammer forward.

Should I stick to my personal mandate of "no exposed triggers", or am I being too anal, and a thumb strap really is sufficient?

Given that I'm subject to occasionally breathing too much of my own fumes, I appreciate ya'lls feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    My son is getting a 3" Ruger SP101 for Christmas, so I thought I'd get him a OWB leather holster for him to go with it. Nothing fancy - something he can scuff up in the woods with me, and not worry about. The problem is finding something "off the shelf" for a 3" SP101 is not easy.

The kid is already "old school" and doesn't care for the aesthetic of a pancake holster, so I'm thinking about something like this:

The problem is that I've always been insistent that all of our holsters must protect the trigger. In this case, the only sort of protection is the thumb strap holding the hammer forward.

Should I stick to my personal mandate of "no exposed triggers", or am I being too anal, and a thumb strap really is sufficient?

Given that I'm subject to occasionally breathing too much of my own fumes, I appreciate ya'lls feedback.
    Whec, that holster looks like something bad is about to happen, stick to your guns....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I think you should absolutely look for something covering the trigger. The thumb break/trigger strap on a holster is a good thing, but if it somehow becomes disengaged by being bumped or some other random occurrence then he'd be walking around with an exposed trigger. Sure the odds of the perfect storm of random things happening is very rare, but it's better be be safe than sorry. Especially out in the woods where he may be walking through brush.
    WHEC724 and gatorbait51 like this.

Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The mechanics of a revolver are much different than a cocked-and-locked SA or even a DA/SA. A decent holster will provide quite a bit of resistance to the cylinder rotating and the thumb strap will add further resistance in preventing the hammer from moving (assuming it's an exposed hammer model).

Would an uncovered trigger be my preferred choice? Not really, but one worked fine with my H&R 922 .22 for many years. (And I've got all nine toes to prove it.)
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'd stick to your gut feelings and keep looking for one that meets your requirements. Your question of being too cautious could end up being answered in the ER otherwise.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

On that particular type gun, and that particular type holster, I think you are just fine. For a couple of decades I used one that looked about like that for a GP 100 I had.

You cant pull the trigger with the safety strap engaged. Also, as oldvet pointed out, the cylinder, being contacted by the holster, is not apt to turn while its holstered, regardless. Not unless you ease the gun out, first.

So, summing up; I think that holster would be just fine for the use intended.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    exposed trigger is bad juju regardless of the type of gun. weird things can happen especially when being active outdoors.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

..snip..

Keep on insisting. Those fumes you're breathing ain't harmful. Now that holster, well, that may well be a different story.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

With a good, snug fit on the cylinder and a thumb strap it may be OK for the casual stroll in the woods or camping trip. Nothing bad may happen for a hundred years but it may all be a bit more enjoyable, that peace of mind that the covered trigger brings may be worth continued searching. Maybe a shout out to Red Nichols is in order to help you out with that warm fuzzy.

The good news is, your son is getting a Ruger SP 101 for Christmas.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    I was told in no uncertain terms one week that I could NOT shoot. Reason? Exposed trigger, S&W 686 in a holster that covered part but definitely not all of the trigger. This is in a controlled setting where the gun does NOT leave the holster until the person is in position at the shooting line. It is also a safety rule that will not be compromised by "the guys" at our club. Nor should it be!

There are a lot of holsters that will fit that gun and will cover the trigger properly. I even got a cheapie Uncle Mikes rip off junky one from Amazon to use while I was waiting for the good kydex one to be made and shipped.

Do not settle for something that is not right.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I'm going to be a bit different than most here. That is a Bianchi model 5BH. I have carried several revolvers in that very model holster without one problem. While doing private security my dad helped me get my first handgun, a 6" Colt Python. Where I got the Python they didn't have any true police style duty holsters but they did have a Bianchi 5BH for it. That was my duty holster for quite a while until I switched to the Bianchi model 27 Breakfront. I also chose one for my 2 1/2" S&W model 66 that I carried as a Private Investigator and Security Supervisor. My wife has my 66 now and uses a left hand version of the 5BH. The holster is safe as long as you understand the design and remember to keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire or are returning the firearm to the holster. BTW I went into private security in December 1978 and worked it for nearly 16 years.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar

with a double action revolver, the snap retention pins the hammer in place, which is effectively as good as a trigger cover with that particular type of gun.
    Richard58, OD* and gatorbait51 like this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    with a double action revolver, the snap retention pins the hammer in place, which is effectively as good as a trigger cover with that particular type of gun.
    until the draw cord adjuster finds it's way into the trigger guard and the weapon is drawn. freak accidents happen a covered trigger guard helps prevent that.

the same could happen when holstering with a covered trigger guard as well but one is usually not in a real hurry to reholster, i always put my thumb on the hammer when i holster, another reason to like hammer fired guns or a manual safety for cocked and locked. a trigger safety will be ineffective in situations like this.

pistol-training.com » Blog Archive » No Booger Hook Needed
    blitzburgh and gatorbait51 like this.

Yep, if it doesn't cover the trigger, it's a 'no go' in my holster collection.
    crusade and gatorbait51 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links