Holster recommendation for 3 o'clock IWB?

This is a discussion on Holster recommendation for 3 o'clock IWB? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, I know these threads pop up all the time and I've searched around so that I don't start a thread unnecessarily. I've been ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By 302stang66
  • 1 Post By GlassWolf
  • 1 Post By Hatrix
  • 1 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By Smarshe

Thread: Holster recommendation for 3 o'clock IWB?

Hey everyone,

I know these threads pop up all the time and I've searched around so that I don't start a thread unnecessarily.

I've been carrying my Kel Tec PF9 for a few months now in a Sticky holster (for those not familiar, it's a Remora type holster), and it's great, but I find myself adjusting it a lot. I bought an Alien Gear holster and it isn't too comfortable, even when I put it in the recommended 4 to 5 o'clock position.

I was thinking of something maybe like the "FoxX Trapp" All Kydex IWB Holster but I'm not sure if that will be much better.

Anyone have experience with that type of holster? Or can you recommend me a more suitable holster for around 3 o'clock?

Thanks!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Check out the Versacarry. It's the most minimalistic holster you'll find short of just a "TC" trigger cover, like the Glock Tech MIC covers, although a TC holster wouldn't really work well at strong side. It's more for appendix carry/12 o'clock.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Check out the Little Foxx from Foxx Holsters. Very comfortable holster, especially with a smaller gun. Had one when I had my Nano. Couldn't even tell it was there. Not sure if he's using the same screw hole configuration on the clip, but when I had mine you could set it up for a straight up draw or a slight forward cant. Was able to use it for apendix carry as well as any other typical carry position people use.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

VIP Member
    This one is designed for a low, secure ride at 3:00, and keeps the gun where it goes without constant adjustment. It is a prototype, based on the short-lived Ohio Special from Midworld.

IWB Keltec 002.JPGIWB Keltec 003.JPG
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

3 o'clock means exactly on your hip.... you should want a straight drop, .... or minimal cant, otherwise your draw action would be awkward.

Anyway, my all time favorite is Mitch Rosen CLP.... not sure if he makes one for PF9, but you can call to find out. Straight drop, low ride, minimalist design, super strong steel clip, steel plate reinforced mouth, minimal bulk. If won't win a beauty contest, but is one of the MOST effective holsters that I have owned.

I have , and have had owned, various Alessi, Milt Sparks, UBG, HBE, Tucker, and a few more 'big name' non-custom holsters, but EACH of my subcompact has a Mitch Rosen CLP ..... that's how much I like it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wagon View Post
    3 o'clock means exactly on your hip.... you should want a straight drop, .... or minimal cant, otherwise your draw action would be awkward.

Anyway, my all time favorite is Mitch Rosen CLP.... not sure if he makes one for PF9, but you can call to find out. Straight drop, low ride, minimalist design, super strong steel clip, steel plate reinforced mouth, minimal bulk. If won't win a beauty contest, but is one of the MOST effective holsters that I have owned.

I have , and have had owned, various Alessi, Milt Sparks, UBG, HBE, Tucker, and a few more 'big name' non-custom holsters, but EACH of my subcompact has a Mitch Rosen CLP ..... that's how much I like it.
    A straight-drop requires the gun to ride too high off the belt line for my preference. Drawing from a 20-degree forward cant has never been an issue for me.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by EdJean View Post
    X2. I love mine

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

"As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

I really liked the hybrid leather/kydex holsters when I carried strong side.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Are you sure you can't just fix the "adjusting" issue without switching holsters? I love a Remora for my guns of that size.
    302stang66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    A straight-drop requires the gun to ride too high off the belt line for my preference. Drawing from a 20-degree forward cant has never been an issue for me.
    CLP has a low ride. 20 degree cant for 3 o'clock draw??? Wow.

Oh well, each of his own.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wagon View Post
    CLP has a low ride. 20 degree cant for 3 o'clock draw??? Wow.

Oh well, each of his own.
    Yup.
    William T. Sherman

I love my MTAC from COMPTAC worn at 3:00. Let my son use it and I never got it back, had to order another one, ONLY IWB holster for me.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. I've decided to stay with the Sticky holster. I have realized that it is far more comfortable and versatile than most others. For those of you that have only used hybrids style holsters, I invite you to try a non clip style holster like Remora or Sticky. I found the Sticky more comfortable and "stickier" (no pun intended) but have tried both and they're both good.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarshe View Post
    Are you sure you can't just fix the "adjusting" issue without switching holsters? I love a Remora for my guns of that size.
    Yeah I finally realized that I'm the problem, not the holsters. Even with the alien gear holster, I had to adjust it periodically because that's just the way I like to wear pants. And another thing I realized is that I've been looking at the adjustability "issue" of the Sticky all wrong. It's not an issue, it's a feature. When I sit down, I can tilt it forward to make it more comfortable or make it available to draw. I don't think you can beat that, and it always stays put when I practice drawing.

Sponsored Links