Appendix Carry Question

Appendix Carry Question

This is a discussion on Appendix Carry Question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just ordered the HighNoon Hideaway holster. I carrry a Springfield XD 45acp with a 4inch barrel. I was wondering if the gun is to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Appendix Carry Question

I just ordered the HighNoon Hideaway holster. I carrry a Springfield XD 45acp with a 4inch barrel. I was wondering if the gun is to big to appendix carry. I'm also wondering how well it will conceal. I'm 5'11" at about 215lbs. How big a gun do you carry appendix carry and do you have any trouble concealing it. One more thing when the holster comes what is the best position to carry in I'm a right handed shooter

Thanks Chuck
    Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.
    John F. Kennedy

Assistant Administrator
    I'm not a fan of appendix and don't think it works very well for larger guns.

I'd have thought 3.30 to 4.00 would be your best option.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I think that appendix carry works best for skinny guys/gals.
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

I wouldn't want a firearm pointing at my femoral artery when I sat or walked.

Been a fair amount of talk about Appendex Carry over on the Warrior Talk Fourm. That Gabe Suarez Site. Seems everyone who tried likes it. A couple went to the range and timed their draw. They drew from the Strong Side and a Cross Draw. Every draw the speed was faster on the Cross Draw. Gabe wrote and told them now time a draw from the Appendix. That is a draw with the gun if the front most of the time at 1 to 12 o clock. If you conceal good with a 1-12 o clock carry is the way to go especially if you have shoulder troubles
    Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.
    John F. Kennedy

I very seldom appendix carry. When I do, it's if I'm walking or standing. Sitting can be uncomfortable. I've carried a 940 or 642 in appendix carry. The 642 is better. I also have a Kel-tec 3at with clip that is very comfortable.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I wouldn't want a firearm pointed at my privates...

IF you can carry it comfortably, it's more concealable. How big of a gun you can carry is really up to you & your bodytype.

My cousin carries that way comfortably for 12+ hours a day. I've tried it, & I can't carry comfortabley. I've tried carrying a Glock 21, 36, 26, down to an AMT .380 back-up, with no luck. The back of the slide & grip dig into my lower ab area & the end of the barrel digs into my inner thigh no matter how I angle the gun. It's only comfortable for me if I was only standing or walking, with NO sitting.

If you can do it, the gun practically dissapears without the usual worry of your gun printing through your shirt when you bend forward.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I use it occasionally, as a 150 pound 5'8" guy...Pretty comfortable, but if you bend over it's a pain..........I use a Haugen Huntington Wedge by Jerry Evans. I love it for crossdraw and appendix carry. Edited to add: I carry a Glock 17 with it too.

As lostone1413 pointed out, appendix carry is very fast, and much more accessible in wider variety of circumstances/positions than typical strong-side hip carry. A few top-notch trainers, including Gabe, are endorsing it recently. Gabe has a Changeling IWB on order with me, and a couple other trainers are using my Changeling to carry in this position, with full-size guns like Glock 22s and SW M&Ps. And one of my better customers carries his Commander this way, strong-side at about 1 o'clock, gun angled back so the grip is pointing down.
    The original Summer Special was designed to be carried this way. That holster was designed by the late Bruce Nelson and licensed to Milt Sparks by Bruce. Bruce was an undercover narcotics officer, and there are photos of him carrying his Summer Special design in front appendix carry. The original Summer Special was a single belt-loop design, and the loop was slightly oversized for the belt. This allowed the holster to ride vertical when standing, but shifted and angled when seated.
    All this said, I have tried it with several different sized pistols and I personally do not find it nearly as comfortable or concealable as strong-side hip carry; and this coming from someone who makes holsters, and has guys endorsing his holsters for this carry mode! I'm not that overweight or out of shape (5'11", 185 lbs) but if you have even the slightest gut it will push the grip/upper slide of the pistol out away from the body. I personally don't know how these guys are doing it. There are claims that it is more concealable than strong-side hip carry, but not for me and my mode of dress anyway. I can conceal a full-size 1911 under a banded-bottom polo shirt on my strong-side hip no problem. I cannot conceal a much smaller pistol under the same polo appendix carry. I think you need a heavy baggy sweatshirt or loose draping sweater, or photojournalist vest or jacket to conceal appendix. And carried up front under a jacket it is much easier to flash in a just of wind or with movement since it is right near the jacket opening. And yes, I find any pistol pointing at my thigh or family jewels a bit disconcerting even if I designed and made the rig it's in.
    I've said this here before - Everything in concealment is a compromise. Almost without exception, the more concealable and hidden a gun is the less accessible it is it.
    If speed is more crtical to you than comfort and concealment, appendix carry may be for you.

Last edited by Mark Garrity; December 10th, 2006 at 06:22 PM.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

I carry my P226 in the appendix position in a Don Hume H715M-WC. I used to carry behind the hip (4 o'clock) but this is so much more comfortable when sitting and the draw is faster and more natural. I'm 6' and 160 lbs and had a little difficulty concealing it at first, but with a slight posture correction it disappeared.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    - Edmund Burke

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    For me it only works with small guns like my 442....anything larger is a pain to sit down with....I also feel more support from the hip with a bigger gun....I have one appendix rig from Del Fatti..it also works quite well on the hip...

In what way did you have to change your posture? Would you say the P226 is the same size as the 4'XD 45acp??????
    John F. Kennedy

personally, I almost always carry appendix. It's not just for skinny guys- I'm 6'3" 255. The comfort depends on the gun vs. your size, IMO. I only carry a SP101. I tried it w/ my friends P94 and it was only slightly less comfortable. I also tried it with a small frame revo 4" bbl. and it was excruciating. Go figure. For me I've found that placing the clip of a IWB holster right over my first belt loop, buttoning, inserting the pistol, tightening the belt, and then doing my little twist and turn/bend up and down dance makes the gun "click" right into place. I forget its there unless I bend all the way over and twist; like being in a chair and picking something up off the floor at 3:00.
    Two of my favorite responses:
    "What is it about gun control laws that makes you feel safe?"
    "For the same reason I always wear my seatbelt."

The picture in my post must have been added by one of the admin guys; thanks! It's a customer photo and shows a P225 in Changeling being carried crossdraw appendix, at about 11 o'clock,left-side for a right-hand shooter.
    I find that many are carring strong-side in this mode too, though; with the gun at about 1-1:30 for a right-hand shooter.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by lostone1413 View Post
    In what way did you have to change your posture? Would you say the P226 is the same size as the 4'XD 45acp??????
    I basically had to move my crotch forward and my stomach back a bit, I became a half inch shorter but my draw is twice as fast. I'd say the P226 is bigger than a 4" XD .45 ACP. The slide is definately longer, and from memory the P226's grip is fatter too, may not be longer though.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    - Edmund Burke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links