Sp101 holster battle

Sp101 holster battle

This is a discussion on Sp101 holster battle within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this has been posted a few times before so i apologize if I'm beating a dead horse with a stick, but I couldn't ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shockwave
  • 1 Post By voodoo304

Thread: Sp101 holster battle

Sp101 holster battle

I know this has been posted a few times before so i apologize if I'm beating a dead horse with a stick, but I couldn't really find enough to make up my mind elsewhere. I am trying to decide between the Simply Rugged silver dollar pancake, with the IWB straps, or the Lobo gunleather enhanced pancake. Pretty much the big advantage SR has, to me, is the convertable straps. And the big advantage Lobo has is i think it looks alot nicer. Right now i have a Galco clip-on IWB, which does it's job, but I'd like something a little bit more comfortable. Anyone who uses one or both of these brands, which do you like? I've checked a few other options as well, but I'm always open to any other suggestions! Thanks guys

Oh and also, I like the prices of both. I'm not into paying the big bucks just right now.

Put me in the minority, but I don't think an SP101 is light enough for EDC. For special events, sure. For daily? It's a LOT of weight to be lugging around. If you want to do that, then holster make is going to be less important than your choice of belt. Get a really tough buffalo or horsehide double-layered belt and it will do the majority of the work.
    gun_bushido likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Whichever you choose, make sure you get a GOOD quality gun belt! The belt is as important as the holster IMO! I sometimes carry my Ruger Police Service Six w/ 2 3/4" bbl in a vintage SafariLand high ride w/ thumb break. It is very comfortable and with a light jacket or heavy shirt untucked is unnoticeable. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I have a simply rugged for my sp101 4.2" and love it for OWB. I did opt for the IWB straps and do not care for them at all. They fold over backwards to attach to your belt. For me, that means the holster moves up appx 2" before beginning to leave the holster. That makes for a huge "up draw" (2" movement and a 4" barrel).
    For an OWB I'm very pleased.
    That being said, a Lobo will be my next purchase.
    grouse likes this.

There is no question about one thing - the need for a good belt. There are many to chose from. I have had good luck with both a Mernicle belt and three Galco belts. Whatever you choose, get a good belt. I tend to carry a 1911 or an SP101 and I have several holsters (don't we all?), but for carry on my hip, I use a pancake holster from Hayes Holsters most of the time now. Have fun looking. There are lots of products out there.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Yes, I own a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake holster for my 3" SP 101 & I ordered it with the inside / out straps. For me anyway the inside / out straps really don't work all that well. The holster itself as a OWB works well enough but it rides just low enough I have a tough time finding a long enough cover garment in order to conceal the little Ruger. I'm a IWB guy.

I recently bought (from my favorite maker) a Milt Sparks OWB for my SP, & have the same 'rides to low issue' with it! To bad to because its the best made SP holster I own, I doubt if I will ever use it much!

The only OWB SP holster I ever use with my SP is the first one I bought a Bianchi Black Widow.

Yes I'm also on a quest for a pancake style IWB holster for my SP. Let me know what you find!

Links