Initial impressions on my first OWB holster - Glock Combat Holster

This is a discussion on Initial impressions on my first OWB holster - Glock Combat Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was on Amazon the other day and saw a Glock combat holster. Ive been rocking my White Hat Max Tuck, and its great. I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chuck808

Thread: Initial impressions on my first OWB holster - Glock Combat Holster

I was on Amazon the other day and saw a Glock combat holster. Ive been rocking my White Hat Max Tuck, and its great. I couldnt be happier. I definitely wanted to try something different, just for the experience, but without spending a ton of money. When I saw the Glock Combat Holster, and then the price, I figured what the heck. Ive always wanted to try one, so I took the plunge.

Ordered a holster for my Glock 17 (usually stays in my truck, and hasnt been carried since I got my Glock 30), and a magazine holder for my Glock 30.

Just got the magazine holster in the other day, and its nice and small. I was always unsure of how the retention would be, but Im surprised. It snaps in is definitely not coming out. We will see how comfortable and durable it is, but as for retention, it seems like it couldnt be better.

Got my holster for my G17 and just cut out the notches to fit my belt and put it on. So far, it feels great just wearing it around the house. It doesnt conceal as tightly as my White Hat, but I didnt expect it to. I dont think I can pull off a full size pistol under a plain tshirt with this holster like I can with my White Hat. Under a regular polo, its no problem. I have to keep experimenting with placement. I have it at 3-4 o'clock (wear my White Hat at the same place), and so far it feels best there. Any further back and I feel like this big grip would really print with it. Any further forward, and my gut is in the way.

It definitely feels much different than my hybrid style White Hat. That holster is pretty light, but this thing feels like nothing is there. Will take some getting used to. As for retention on the pistol, it seems to be great as well. It snaps into place, and snaps out when you pull it back out. My belt wasnt all that important with my IWB White Hat, but this cheap-o regular belt could definitely use an upgrade with an OWB holster. I bet it would help with a little bit of the printing too, as it just isnt firm enough to hold the gun super tight to my body, as it is just a basic flimsy department store dress belt that is starting to get a big large with my weight loss. Im already on the last notch of it with this holster, as opposed to a notch higher with the thickness of my Glock 30 and White Hat combo. As soon as I cant wear this anymore, I will spend some money and find a nice gunbelt. I have a SOE belt that I spent a good chunk of change on, but I ordered to their directions, and It really doesnt fit. Its just too small. With my Glock 30 in my White Hat, there is only about 1" of overlap of velcro, so Im not comfortable wearing it knowing that if I move wrong it could pull off. When I lose another 20lbs I think it should fit fine though. Who knows.

Anyways, sorry for the ramblings. Just some initial thoughts I have about my Glock Combat Holster. At this point, I think Im going to spend another $14 and buy another for my Glock 30 just to have it. Ill update this or make another post in a few weeks after I wear it more, so I guess its back to carrying my 17 for a bit then. Anyway, for less than $15, it holds a gun and hasnt fallen apart in the first day. Whats not to like so far?

If you find you really like that style, consider checking out Raven Concealment's Phantom or a similar made holster by other companies. I got the Phantom for carrying my full size M&P40. With a good gun belt it's is awesome OWB and keeps the gun closer to the body than a few other OWB holsters I've tried. It's not bad IWB as well. They are a little expensive, but well worth the price for a dual purpose holster I think. Their attention to the little details when it comes to the finish on the holster is amazing.

Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

Wore it out for the first time tonight to see a movie. Even sitting in a theater for 3 hours, it was super comfortable. With the pair of jeans a polo I was wearing, it didnt print at all. Actually shaping up to be a great carry holster. When I was driving home, I actually had to feel my side to see if the gun was even there anymore.

If you are talking about this one I've actually heard a lot of positives about it. For the price I may try it out. Especially for winter when I can OWB more.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

I know of a few folks that have them mounted in their cars, like in the map pocket or center counsel. At that price and ambi configuration I might do the same.

I use my Glock Combat holster as a nice OWB backup for when I don't feel like wearing IWB. It's also nice that it's fully reversible, in case one day I need to switch to left side carry due to an injury or something. I've ordered a nice leather replacement for it, though, so once I receive that the plastic holster will be relegated to cheapo backup/reversible duty.

The Glock magazine carriers are pretty good too, specially for the money.

los
    I'm ordering one to use with my 30. I have an idea on how to modify it to also use it for IWB carry.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Update:

Coming up on a month now of almost daily carry with this cheap holster. Its been great. I dont know what else to say. I cant imagine a better value in a holster. For $15 it keeps the gun secure, lets you get a great firing grip, easily draws, reholsters relatively easily, keeps it tight against your body, and conceals very well after I tightened up my belt.

The other day I ordered another one for the .45acp/10mm Glocks. All guns should have a holster of this design. Absolutely minimalist, simple, lightweight, and $15 or less. Cant go wrong.

Definitely gets an A+ from me after a month of wear.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    ... I cant imagine a better value in a holster. For $15 it keeps the gun secure, lets you get a great firing grip, easily draws, reholsters relatively easily, keeps it tight against your body, and conceals very well after I tightened up my belt.

The other day I ordered another one for the .45acp/10mm Glocks. All guns should have a holster of this design. Absolutely minimalist, simple, lightweight, and $15 or less. Cant go wrong.

Definitely gets an A+ from me after a month of wear.
    I concur! I'm really enjoying mine.

[/QUOTE]
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I have 2 I use[1 17/22-1 20/21] as ambidextrous back up/ emergency holsters. Great for range work on becoming an ambi. shooter.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

VIP Member
    I got one also but can't wear it on my body because of the cant. No way could I draw from that angle at any spot "on" my body with my physical limitations. HOWEVER, it makes a great car holster. I did a post about it - here:

My new WAY- OWB car holster

And I really ordered it for car use anyway.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

This is pretty standard for what Id wear during the summer (aka every month but January or February). Its about as light/thin of a material as they make shirts. Its a good fit for me. I usually wear a undershirt and a polo or button up shirt, but for a standard t-shirt, this is about as bad as it gets for a shirt to carry under that still fits me. Im 6'5 290lbs and this shirt is a 3XL. Some shirts that come larger I wear a 2XL.

Standard right side OWB carry with my Gen2 Glock 17. Piece of cake. Would be even better when I get my new gun belt. This belt is so flimsy. Just some standard belt you buy at any store. Feels like its made out of unicorns and rainbows.

los likes this.

Sponsored Links